global variable or function?

pcjunki

In most cases (with programming languages and/or scripting languages) it's to do with memory management, in which you specify the lifespan of how long a block of memory is reserved for the executable by the system. On MDN the memory life cycle hits the nail on the head.

Note: If you just declare all variables in Global then it's no different to using Dim, which wasn't the point Valik was trying to make in the article he posted.

Last part first - That may be so to a point, but he was also saying don't use Dim at all, which is the part I took on board, with the rest at that stage of my learning, just implanted in my brain for later cogitation as I gather more input.

I hear what you are saying, and I have read the reference to memory before, but I guess I'm after a real world scenario, where it actually makes a difference to my experience or those who use my programs. In other words, what is the penalty in real measurable terms?

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

I don't get how else I can explain it, especially as you want a real world example for something that is just good coding practice and house keeping. If it's just yourself who uses your application then of course you have no obligation to worry about how much memory you use on a user's system, but then not everyone has a lot of memory, especially for those of us who have Visual Studio 2013 and Android Studio running in the background.

There is only a finite amount of memory on a user's system, so if every developer adopted the "I don't really care" approach, then we would all be in serious trouble.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Good. Hopefully the help file is clear about this.

Yes, the examples are clear.

But I was put the Example 2 as Example 1, and Example 1 as Example 2.

Because Example 2 is more clear then Example 1

Edited by Guest

There is only a finite amount of memory on a user's system, so if every developer adopted the "I don't really care" approach, then we would all be in serious trouble.

I wouldn't class myself as someone who doesn't care, and I'm always willing to learn, and that's the whole point of me joining this conversation.

As always, I try to take a logical approach and weigh up as many factors as I can think of, sometimes ones that others don't.

I have immense respect and admiration for your coding skill, organizational and programming ability, and I always take on board things you say in those areas for sure. I don't necessarily adopt what you say though, as I use my mind too.

For instance, here are a few questions slash observations.

[1] What difference is there when it comes to memory use, between a variable that is declared as Global and one that is declared as Local, if they have exactly the same content?

[2] If I have a thousand variables that are all assigned one word, or a single variable assigned a thousand words, what is the difference?

[3] How many variables does it take to have a significant impact on memory use? No doubt this is a trick question, because a variable can contain anything from a single letter to a huge number of characters, etc.

[4] I try to be cognizant of good practice, but sometimes the real world intrudes. Is it good practice to expend a significant portion of brain power on keeping tabs on the scope for every variable, and being diligent with their use? Does doing so increase the margin for error and the later necessary bug fixes, and harder troubleshooting?

[5] Have any of you ever created something to measure the memory use of variables?

[6] It seems to me, the more power and things our computers can do, the more we use them for multiple simultaneous tasks. I know I can do it too, but I refrain from anything while doing something memory intensive (CD burning, Video editing, etc). I know from hard earned experience, that it is not a good idea ... errors happen even though they often don't get detected.

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

[3] How many variables does it take to have a significant impact on memory use? No doubt this is a trick question, because a variable can contain anything from a single letter to a huge number of characters, etc.

The answer to this is very easy. It only takes one. I tested this. The variable in question had an integer value of zero. I admit that the variable name was very very very long, but memory went awol. This also gives clues to question [2].

[1] What difference is there when it comes to memory use, between a variable that is declared as Global and one that is declared as Local, if they have exactly the same content?

This should be obvious. Returning from a function releases memory.

[4] I try to be cognizant of good practice, but sometimes the real world intrudes. Is it good practice to expend a significant portion of brain power on keeping tabs on the scope for every variable, and being diligent with their use? Does doing so increase the margin for error and the later necessary bug fixes, and harder troubleshooting?

Quite the contrary. Avoiding global variables and using more fuctions takes care of ever having to worry about scope.

Edited by czardas

The answer to this is very easy. It only takes one. I tested this. The variable in question had an integer value of zero. I admit that the variable name was very very very long, but memory went awol. This also gives clues to question [2].

It is probably more correct to say - it can take only one significant variable to cause an impact.

Further to my other questions/observations.

[7] I can remember at time, when it was important to clear a variable after it was no longer needed ($var = '').

Do you think that is still important? Should we still do it?

[8] How much memory space is taken up by declaring an empty variable (Global or Local)?

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

TheSaint,

I will try my best to answer your questions. Let me know if 

1. If the variable is local then once out of scope e.g. end of a function, the memory location is marked as free and available for anyone else to use and by anyone else, I mean those applications which are running on the system. By having it global, you're effectively reserving that memory space for the entire duration of the applications execution.
  2. Well you would use an array and not hard-code a thousand variables. So the difference is down to readability and script maintenance. This is a little off-topic I feel.
  3. It's not about the amount per say, but if you have a total of 1000 variables (which hold a variant in AutoIt) and you only use 10 as truly global, then you're effectively reserving memory space for nothing, when it's not required.
  4. Actually it's easier to code when you use variables in the lowest possible scope, because you don't have to keep scrolling back up to see if you declared the variable or not. As generally speaking if you adopt this approach of "lowest possible scope" then the variable should be in plain view of where you're using it. So actually having all variables at the top of the script (remember this is where global variables should be placed and not inside function) is a lot harder to follow as your code grows overtime i.e. prone to more errors.
  5. Yes. Though it's not for public use, sorry.
  6. Isn't video editing more CPU intensive?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

[7] I can remember at time, when it was important to clear a variable after it was no longer needed ($var = '').

This depends on the amount of memory the variable takes up and how long it is needed. Yes it is a good idea for large arrays and the likes. It would be a little too extreme to do this for every variable and pointless if done immediately prior to a function return.

Edited by czardas

It is probably more correct to say - it can take only one significant variable to cause an impact.

Further to my other questions/observations.

[8] How much memory space is taken up by declaring an empty variable (Global or Local)?

1. If the variable is local then no, it will be destroyed when the function is returned from. If global, then I guess it's a case of do you want to remove what the variable is point to in memory.
  2. AutoIt doesn't store datatypes like other languages, but an empty space is a single character, which is a byte plus the null terminator, so 2 bytes.

I think we, czardas and I have answered your questions.

UDF List:

Yes, the examples are clear.

But I was put the Example 2 as Example 1, and Example 1 as Example 2.

Because Example 2 is more clear then Example 1

I am happy with the help file page as it is.

UDF List:

I think this topic has covered so much ground that perhaps it would be better if it were moved to Dev Chat.

I whole heartedly agree.

UDF List:

• Moderators

Someone called? ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

1. If the variable is local then no, it will be destroyed when the function is returned from. If global, then I guess it's a case of do you want to remove what the variable is point to in memory.

Even if it is Local Static ?

SomeFunc()

Func SomeFunc()
    Local Static $aArray[10000000]
EndFunc

; It will take 44MB from the memory even if SomeFunc() Exited.
MsgBox(0,'','')

I think you're wrong here.

I think we should be careful with Local Static. When it comes to memory use, it is exactly like normal global
Edited by Guest

gil900,

Of course not, but I was only asked to explain about Local and Global. The difference between Local Static and Global, is if the function is never called then that 44MB (for example) will never be reserved, whereas if global it would have been.

UDF List:

I'm still taking it all in, but I will respond to 6 and 4.

6. Yes, that's what I was saying. Burning is too, though these days we have the Burnproof thing to help keep the buffer full. What I was trying to say, was that I would never do both of those processes at the same time or other similar memory intensive ones.

4. I never declare Global other than at the top of my scripts (and never in Functions), except perhaps where I'm testing something I will later relocate to top or change to Local ... never in the finished script. For the rest, I don't see it that way. I declare all variables as Global at the top of my script (except Locals). I even have a program to do that for me. I never have to consider scope, except when I want it Local. I never look back to see if I've declared it, it is a given ... no expenditure of thought needed. Mistakes happen either way. So from my perspective, your way is harder.

Spoiler

userbar.png

You don't make them static if you're planning on destroying them when the function ends.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

gil900,

Of course not, but I was only asked to explain about Local and Global. The difference between Local Static and Global, is if the function is never called then that 44MB (for example) will never be reserved, whereas if global it would have been.

Ok.
But I think there are many who consider Local Static as part in Local

because it sounds very logical. So I think you take it in your answer
Edited by Guest

@Melba23 - Go ahead and relocate, I will wait.

Spoiler

userbar.png

Local Static IS local, it can only be seen inside the function it's declared in. It just doesn't lose it's contents when the function ends.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator