global variable or function?

pcjunki

I wouldn't use ~, because that's used in Scite when you use CTRL-Q to quick comment a line.

Because of this you throw ~ to the garbage?

It is possible to do that the pre-processor will not consider ~ as new line.

I agree with using ~.

the solution is to do that it will not see ~ as new line when:

1) it is after ;

2) It is inside string (Between " or ')

czardas, as I said, you have to cheat for it and it affects the performance (This type of cheating affects the performance)

What about this >> http://www.jetbrains.com/clion/ 

I use ReSharper in VS2013 and IntelliJ IDEA, so they have a good reputation.

Thank you

Edited by Guest

Where did this strange obsession to try and cram code into as few lines as possible, resulting in unreadable and almost impossible to debug code, come from?

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

Pipe character is already used as the default delimiter for a lot of functions, you'd have to change the default delimiter before you could do that.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Pipe character is already used as the default delimiter for a lot of functions, you'd have to change the default delimiter before you could do that.

In a string, but outside it's not.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

In a string, but outside it's not.

My point was, if you're going to use the default delimiter character as the code delimiter character, you'd have to make sure whatever you're using to split the lines knows what's inside quotes and what's not inside quotes, and act accordingly.

Because of this you throw ~ to the garbage?

It is possible to do that the pre-processor will not consider ~ as new line.

I agree with using ~.

the solution is to do that it will not see ~ as new line when:

1) it is after ;

2) It is inside string (Between " or ')

czardas, as I said, you have to cheat for it and it affects the performance (This type of cheating affects the performance)

Thank you

Start writing the preprocessor then, and stop talking about it.

I threw it out there that the tilde is being used already, I didn't say don't use it, I said it's already used for something else in your code. Reusing the tilde has the same issues that reusing the pipe character would have. It's already used, so why not use something that ISN"T used for ANYTHING else in AutoIt because neither of those are safe at the moment.

BTW, I'm with Bowmore on this. Why make your code unreadable and difficult to troubleshoot for the sake of a couple of bytes on your hard drive (which as I've said before you won't actually save any space on the drive unless you're lucky or shortening the code by several thousand characters. Just because you can write the code that way doesn't mean you should be writing your code that way.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

It's fairly trivial to determine a pipe in quotes and not. How do you think I do it in PreExpand with the likes of function names and *- etc.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

BrewManNH

If you think like that, very soon we will start to think about things more difficult to write. such as (|).

In any case, no matter which character we use, it will always be necessary to take into account (in the code) the conditions that I wrote (1 and 2 in post 182)

So the level of difficulty will be the same even if we use the character that is not used anywhere in the syntax.

It is true that I should try to write the pre-processor.
But I have list of priorities, and this task is a very low priority.  I have more important things to do
Very likely that I will never perform this task.

But maybe someone else will have the time and desire to develop it.

Bowmore,

I did not invent this concept. It is done in C ++ and people use in the examples. So if more people do it then it's probably a good feature ..

And I do not agree with what some people say here - that it will be harder to read (if several lines are wrriten as one line). It depends on a person who reads the code. If you're used to see ; (in c++) Or ~ (in autoit I hope) as a new line so it is not difficult to understand that this new line as long as the code that is written is not complicated.

for example ( C++) :

if (a == b) {Func1(); Func2(); Func3();}
This is not hard to read if you you're used to see ; as new line and because the code is simple.

It even seems easier to read because your eyes need to move less
Edited by Guest

I can't believe this is even being discussed. It just adds overhead with no significant advantage. I suggest gil900 learns what AutoIt can actually do before comparing it to other languages. You can call as many functions as you want with just one command and there are various ways it can be done.

Also, a script is really just one long line anyway: it just happens to contain vertical spaces.

I think there are more important concerns to focus attention on.

Edited by czardas

for example ( C++) :

if (a == b) {Func1(); Func2(); Func3();}
This is not hard to read if you you're used to see ; as new line and because the code is simple.

I would kick you off the development team if you wrote C#, Java, C++ ... like that.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I'm not saying it's critical .. I agree with what you say (I mean the reason why not write a few lines on one line). But I also have other opinion which evolved when I saw some c++ example/s.

I would kick you off the development team if you wrote C#, Java, C++ ... like that.

The idea of writing like this does not come from me. It comes from someone else - in some C ++ tutorial that I read and probably also from 1 example or 2..

I'm just beganer in C++ and I probably kick myself before I know enough C++

I suggest gil900 learns what AutoIt can actually do before comparing it to other languages. You can call as many functions as you want with just one command and there are various ways it can be done.

It is true that I do not know 100% about what can be done in Autoit. But do not think (If you really think so) that it means I can not develop something useful and also complicated...

I probably will continue to learn more about autoit but I will also continue to learn more C++

Edited by Guest