Jon

Using AutoItX from C# / .Net

Jon

The following files are provided to allow .NET use:

• AutoItX3.Assembly.dll - The .NET Assembly for using AutoItX.
  • AutoItX3.Assembly.xml - The Visual Studio Intellisense help file for the .NET Assembly.
  • AutoItX3.dll - The main AutoItX DLL (x86)
  • AutoItX3_x64.dll - The main AutoItX DLL (x64)

Using the Assembly from VB/C# within in Visual Studio is very easy:

• Add a reference to AutoItX3.Assembly.dll to your project
  • Add a using AutoIt; statement in the files you want to use AutoIt functions
  • Write code like this C# example:
using AutoIt;

// Wow, this is C#!
AutoItX.Run("notepad.exe");
AutoItX.WinWaitActive("Untitled");
AutoItX.Send("I'm in notepad");
IntPtr winHandle = AutoItX.WinGetHandle("Untitled");
AutoItX.WinKill(winHandle);
  • Distribute your final executable with the files AutoItX3.Assembly.dll, AutoItX3.dll, AutoItX3_x64.dll.
  • Like 1

xhuyvn

nice and easy but got error when run, Autoitx3.Dll can not access.

reg dll like this "regsvr32 c:\AutoitX\AutoitX3.dll" for use, got an error 

what can i do now for using autoitx in C#

i'm using VS community 2015.

autoit error run.jpg

autoit error reg.jpg

Edited by xhuyvn

xhuyvn

nice and easy but got error when run, Autoitx3.Dll can not access.

reg dll like this "regsvr32 c:\AutoitX\AutoitX3.dll" for use, got an error 

what can i do now for using autoitx in C#

i'm using VS community 2015.

autoit error run.jpg

autoit error reg.jpg

i was solved this problem. just copy AutoitX3.dll to bin directory and it work like a charm.

nafberger

can you please help me, i have the same trouble. added references to dll files, put using statement. but error comes up, it can't find autoit3x dll, whats going on?

Eternal21

The DllNotFoundException is caused by screwed up assembly dependencies when the dll package was built.  Nuget installer for AutoitX is not working for the same reason (more details here).  Bottom line - Visual Studio doesn't know it needs to copy AutoItX3.dll to the output directory.  It only copies AutoItX3.Assembly.dll, and forgets about the other one.

The easiest solution is ensuring AutoItX3.dll is in your output bin/Debug or bin/Release directory, when you run your program (basically the same directory as your exe).  You can do that by simply placing AutoItX3.dll in the root of your project in visual studio, and then setting its properties to:

Copy to Output Directory: 'Copy if newer'

• Like 1

antonioj84

Hi can someone enlighten me, I have a current application in autoit that calculate IP address. would I be able to port that to c# using autoitx3.dll then that application can be run off the browser. This is fascinating if true

thanks ahead for any answers

Edited by antonioj84

JohnOne

I'm not sure what your post is getting at, with "run off the browser".

AutoIt3X allows you to reference the dll in C# and use its functions, which are a subset of AutoIt's native functions.

You wont find UDF functions such as _IE* etc...

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

antonioj84

Hi Johnone,

I understand that part, however I mean in that case can the application run from a IIS server, then user can access thru their browser. I want to be able to use the native udf that come with autoit.

Edited by antonioj84

abdulrahmanok

Thank you very much I was looking for this ^_^

dabaracus
On 01/02/2016 at 4:18 AM, Eternal21 said:

The DllNotFoundException is caused by screwed up assembly dependencies when the dll package was built.  Nuget installer for AutoitX is not working for the same reason (more details here).  Bottom line - Visual Studio doesn't know it needs to copy AutoItX3.dll to the output directory.  It only copies AutoItX3.Assembly.dll, and forgets about the other one.

The easiest solution is ensuring AutoItX3.dll is in your output bin/Debug or bin/Release directory, when you run your program (basically the same directory as your exe).  You can do that by simply placing AutoItX3.dll in the root of your project in visual studio, and then setting its properties to:

Copy to Output Directory: 'Copy if newer'

This resolved the issue when executing from visual studio, however when the build is put into an MTM build directory the error returns. Have confirmed that the dll is in the build directory.

Any thoughts?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• PramodR
      By PramodR
      Hello,
      I have to execute below block of code in elevated previllage, as that particular wmic class will work only with admin previlage.
      i am getting out put when i launch autoit as administrator,  but i will not be able to launch autoit as admin in this particular case but my user have admin rights.
      is there any better way i can run those command as administrator.?
      tried below steps:
      i have tried #RequireAdmin but that creates a user prompt  Tried using Runas command but gives error as wrong username or password , stuck with that step.  

• IgImAx
      By IgImAx
      Hi

UPDATED Notes: ===============================================================================
      UPDATED: My main and second questions answered. Here the answers:
      To add/access WinMenuSelectItem you need to [Thanks to Fernando_Marinho]: Add AutoItX.Dotnet in Manage NuGet Packages Right Click in your Project -> Add -> Reference... -> COM ( Type Libraries )than, check the option AutoItX3 1.0 Type Library  using AutoItX3Lib; AutoItX3 au3 = new AutoItX3(); au3.WinMenuSelectItem("", ...) My full source code in C# exists in 11 posts in below. How to access those overloaded methods in AutoitX3 that are not accessible via above method!? Or how to fix AutoitX3 DLL Registration need in target computers without Autoit pre-installed on them!? Please check my post at 14 posts below!
      =============================================================================== Original Post:

I was writing a small app in Autoit to close µTorrent app. It was working. Then I try to import AutoItX into C#, but unfortunately this method
      WinMenuSelectItem Couldn't find by IntelliSense and If I typed completely it still give me this message:
      Please check the image. I Google it and I found this QA at stackoverflow: Autoit error within C# application I saw they use this line:
      au = new AutoItX3Lib.AutoItX3Class(); I figure it how to add 'AutoItX3Lib' to project (by adding 'AutoItX3.dll' to reference) but again! When I use this line:
      var au = new AutoItX3Class(); I got this error message: Interop type 'AutoItX3Class' cannot be embedded. Use the applicable interface instead.
      My system info:
      Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise - v15.5.4
      X64 Windows 10 Enterprise 1607
      Thanks in advanced
      IgImAx

• Rammanan
      By Rammanan
      Hi all, Below is my script,
      Pls advise me if any wrong on that....File exit in location but the return -1.
      FileOpen($file, 0)
         $line = FileReadLine($file)
         MsgBox(0,'',$line)
      FileClose($file)
      Local $aArray = _FileListToArrayRec($serverpath, "*|*.txt", $FLTAR_FILES, $FLTAR_RECUR, $FLTAR_SORT, $FLTAR_NOPATH)
      If @error Then
              MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Ooops!", "No files found")
          Else
          ;_ArrayDisplay($aArray, "Sorted tree")
                 Local $hSearch = FileFindFirstFile($line)
               MsgBox(0,'',$hSearch)

• JLogan3o13
      By JLogan3o13
      Not one usually to post non-AutoIt things, but as I have this question on StackExchange I thought I would throw it up here as well for any of our C# folks:
      I currently have an AutoIt GUI that calls a powershell script; the intent is to allow low-level technicians to batch create VMs in vSphere. Due to some changes in requirements from the customer, I am re-writing as a wpf app. The app itself is complete and working; this is more of a curiosity question.
      I have two methods attached to buttons on the GUI - one to pull all the data out of a listview and export to csv and another to do the reverse; importing from csv to the listview element. I wrote the export first, and went with manipulating the Excel application:
      private void Launch(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) { Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application oExcel = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application(); oExcel.Visible = true; Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook oWorkBook = oExcel.Workbooks.Add(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.XlSheetType.xlWorksheet); Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet oSheet = (Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Worksheet)oExcel.ActiveSheet; int row = 2; //allow for header row int column = 1; oSheet.Cells[1, 1] = "Name"; oSheet.Cells[1, 2] = "CPU"; oSheet.Cells[1, 3] = "RAM"; oSheet.Cells[1, 4] = "IP Address"; oSheet.Cells[1, 5] = "Subnet Mask"; oSheet.Cells[1, 6] = "Port Group"; oSheet.Cells[1, 7] = "Default Gateway"; oSheet.Cells[1, 8] = "DNS"; oSheet.Cells[1, 9] = "Description"; oSheet.Cells[1, 10] = "Template"; oSheet.Cells[1, 11] = "Host"; oSheet.Cells[1, 12] = "Site"; oSheet.Cells[1, 13] = "Folder"; oSheet.Cells[1, 14] = "DataStore"; oSheet.Cells[1, 15] = "Patch Method"; oSheet.Cells[1, 16] = "HDD1Size"; oSheet.Cells[1, 17] = "HDD1Format"; oSheet.Cells[1, 18] = "HDD2Size"; oSheet.Cells[1, 19] = "HDD2Format"; oSheet.Cells[1, 20] = "HDD3Size"; oSheet.Cells[1, 21] = "HDD3Format"; oSheet.Cells[1, 22] = "HDD4Size"; oSheet.Cells[1, 23] = "HDD4Format"; oSheet.Cells[1, 24] = "HDD5Size"; oSheet.Cells[1, 25] = "HDD5Format"; foreach (var oVM in MyItems) { oSheet.Cells[row, column] = oVM.Name; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 1)] = oVM.CPU; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 2)] = oVM.RAM; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 3)] = oVM.IP; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 4)] = oVM.Subnet; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 5)] = oVM.PortGroup; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 6)] = oVM.Gateway; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 7)] = oVM.DNS; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 8)] = oVM.Description; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 9)] = oVM.Template; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 10)] = oVM.Host; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 11)] = oVM.Site; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 12)] = oVM.Folder; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 13)] = oVM.Datastore; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 14)] = oVM.Patch; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 15)] = oVM.HDD1Size; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 16)] = oVM.HDD1Format; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 17)] = oVM.HDD2Size; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 18)] = oVM.HDD2Format; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 19)] = oVM.HDD3Size; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 20)] = oVM.HDD3Format; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 21)] = oVM.HDD4Size; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 22)] = oVM.HDD4Format; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 23)] = oVM.HDD5Size; oSheet.Cells[row, (column + 24)] = oVM.HDD5Format; row++; } oExcel.Application.ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.DesktopDirectory) + "\\example", 6); } It works, but it is slow. I have Excel set to visible for testing, and it is a good 6 or 7 seconds on a pretty high end box before the app even pops up.  It then takes another 2 seconds to populate 11 rows (this could be in the hundreds of rows at some point).
      I then wrote the code for the reverse, and decided to try a StreamReader object. The result, surprisingly, was almost immediate:
      OpenFileDialog xls = new OpenFileDialog(); xls.Multiselect = false; xls.Filter = "CSV files (*.csv)|*.csv"; xls.InitialDirectory = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.DesktopDirectory); xls.ShowDialog(); string ins; if (xls.FileName != null) { FileStream srcFS; srcFS = new FileStream(xls.FileName, FileMode.Open); StreamReader srcSR = new StreamReader(srcFS, System.Text.Encoding.Default); do { ins = srcSR.ReadLine(); if (ins != null) { string[] parts = ins.Split(','); MyItems.Add(new MyItem { Name = parts[0], CPU = parts[1], RAM = parts[2], IP = parts[3], Subnet = parts[4], PortGroup = parts[5], Gateway = parts[6], DNS = parts[7], Description = parts[8], Template = parts[9], Host = parts[10], Site = parts[11], Folder = parts[12], Datastore = parts[13], Patch = parts[14], HDD1Size = parts[15], HDD1Format = parts[16], HDD2Size = parts[17], HDD2Format = parts[18], HDD3Size = parts[19], HDD3Format = parts[20], HDD4Size = parts[21], HDD4Format = parts[22], HDD5Size = parts[23], HDD5Format = parts[24] }); } } while (ins != null); srcSR.Close(); } }  
      So, I thought I would go back and change the export to use the same method:
      FileStream srcFS; srcFS = new FileStream(Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.DesktopDirectory) + "\\testingout.csv", FileMode.CreateNew, FileAccess.Write); StreamWriter srcWrt = new StreamWriter(srcFS, System.Text.Encoding.Default); StringBuilder header = new StringBuilder(); header.Append("Name").Append(',') .Append("CPU").Append(',') .Append("RAM").Append(',') .Append("IP Address").Append(',') .Append("Port Group").Append(',') .Append("Default Gateway").Append(',') .Append("DNS").Append(',') .Append("Description").Append(',') .Append("Template").Append(',') .Append("Host").Append(',') .Append("Site").Append(',') .Append("Folder").Append(',') .Append("Datastore").Append(',') .Append("Patch").Append(',') .Append("HDD1Size").Append(',') .Append("HDD1Format").Append(',') .Append("HDD2Size").Append(',') .Append("HDD2Format").Append(',') .Append("HDD3Size").Append(',') .Append("HDD3Format").Append(',') .Append("HDD4Size").Append(',') .Append("HDD4Format").Append(',') .Append("HDD5Size").Append(',') .Append("HDDFormat").Append(','); srcWrt.WriteLine(header); foreach (MyItem item in MyItems) { StringBuilder builder = new StringBuilder(); builder.Append(item.Name).Append(',') .Append(item.CPU).Append(',') .Append(item.RAM).Append(',') .Append(item.IP).Append(',') .Append(item.Subnet).Append(',') .Append(item.PortGroup).Append(',') .Append(item.Gateway).Append(',') .Append(item.DNS).Append(',') .Append(item.Description).Append(',') .Append(item.Template).Append(',') .Append(item.Host).Append(',') .Append(item.Site).Append(',') .Append(item.Folder).Append(',') .Append(item.Datastore).Append(',') .Append(item.Patch).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD1Size).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD1Format).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD2Size).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD2Format).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD3Size).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD3Format).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD4Size).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD4Format).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD5Size).Append(',') .Append(item.HDD5Format); srcWrt.WriteLine(builder); } MessageBox.Show("Task Complete"); What surprised me is this method is exponentially slower; on the order of 40 seconds to return the MsgBox. I also noticed that even though the loop is complete and shows the message, is seems the stream is still writing. If I open the file too quickly it shows that it is still in use by "Another User". So by the time the file is available to me it is actually closer to a minute for an 11-line csv.
      I'm just curious at the difference in speed read vs write using FileStream. Is it something I borked on implementation (eminently possible) or is this a known issue? If interacting with Excel is the way to go (not ideal) is there something I could do to shorten the initial lag?