Wicked_Caty

Program doesn't write to files

8 posts in this topic

I've written a short program that calculates all values of a mathematical function in a user-defined interval. The data is written to an user-defined file during that process. Unfortunately, there is no file. I don't have a clue what's wrong with my program, and I've been trying to solve that for nearly 2 hours now. Obviously without success.

The calculation is done properly (added a ConsoleWrite() to check that), so it must be the FileWrite() that doesn't work.

Thanks for the help!

Values.au3

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

You need to add some error checking to your script.
Is FileOpen successful? Is FileWrite successful?
The help file shows you how to check for errors.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

2 minutes ago, water said:

You need to add some error checking to your script.
Is FileOpen successful?

How do I do error checking exactly?

I don't know if that is successful. The only things I know are that the file isn't created :/

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

The help file explains what is returned by a function in case of an error. Example:

$f = FileOpen(...)
$If $F = -1 Then ... ; An error has occurred

$fw = FileWrite(...)
If $fw = 0 Then .. ; An error has occurred

Edited by water
1 person likes this

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#5 ·  Posted (edited)

FileOpen() and FileWrite() don't work. 

Edit: I guess FileWrite() doesn't work, because FileOpen() doesn't work in the first place

Edited by Wicked_Caty

The default mode for FileOpen is $FO_READ.
To write to a file you need to set the mode:

#include <FileConstants.au3>
$f = FileOpen("Your filename goes here", $FO_APPEND) ; Or $FO_OVERWRITE if you always want to overwrite an existing file

1 person likes this

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Thanks! It works now

Glad to be of service :)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Jibberish
      By Jibberish
      Hi,
      I am automating the testing of a video player. I search a file for ".mp4" and want to create a GUI with radio buttons to select what video to play. The number of videos can change based on the user's library so this must be created automatically.  I have searched for how to accomplish this and there are several posts out there that help a little but I can't figure out the solution. I pulled the offending code from my main script and created the file below to make this easier to read. I am sure one of our experts here can help!
      #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <StringConstants.au3> #include <array.au3> #include <File.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> Local $sMediaFile = "D:\MediaFiles\MediaFiles.txt" Local $iStrReturn = 0 Local $aText Local $aArrayFile Local $iMax = 6 ;Default number of Videos - 1 for the array counter Local $aVideoName[$iMax] = [0] Local $sCheckBox1 Local $iT = 0, $iVideoCount = 0, $iCount Local $ix = 0 Local $iy = 0 Local $idClose1 Const $iL = 10 ; Count from Left for GUI so all buttons line up ;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ; ; Read a list of video file names and create a GUI with Radio Buttons to select a single video. ; Problem: We don't know how many video names will be in the text file, so we can't hard code Case Statements & their variables ; Put the Video File Names into an Array _FileReadToArray($sMediaFile, $aArrayFile) For $a = 1 To $aArrayFile[0] ; Step through the array looking for .mp4 If StringInStr($aArrayFile[$a], ".mp4") Then $iVideoCount = $iVideoCount + 1 $aText = StringSplit($aArrayFile[$a],"\\") ; This video player reads double backslashes For $a1 = 1 to $aText[0] ; Check that the array is big enough If StringInStr($aText[$a1], ".mp4") Then ;MsgBox(0,"","Video is " & $aText[$a1]) If UBound($aVideoName) = $iVideoCount Then ; Resize the array when $iCount is equal to the element count in the array to prevent subscript error ReDim $aVideoName[$aVideoName[0] + $iMax] EndIf $aVideoName[$iVideoCount] = $aText[$a1]; add data to new index element $aVideoName[0] = $a1 ; update the index count for future reference ; The idea is to create a GUI width to accommodate long video file names $it = StringLen($aVideoName[$iVideoCount]) If $iT > $ix Then $ix = $iT EndIf EndIf Next EndIf Next ; Move backwards through the array deleting blank rows For $iCount = UBound($aVideoName) - 1 To 0 Step -1 If $aVideoName[$iCount] = "" Then _ArrayDelete($aVideoName, $iCount) EndIf Next ;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ; ; Create the GUI - Names and Radio Button counts will vary - How do I do this? ; ;_ArrayDisplay($aVideoName) ;Local $aVarName[$aVideoName[0]] Local $iRows = UBound($aVideoName, $UBOUND_ROWS) $iRows = $iRows -1 $aVideoName[0] = $iRows ; Prep the GUI to display the FileNames with Radio Buttons - Can only select one at a time. $a = 0 $ix = $ix + 200 $iy = ($aVideoName[0] * 30) + 60 $hGUI = GUICreate("Videos", $ix, $iy) ;$iT = $iT+30 ; Create the variable names for the Case statement - Video count may change so Video Names displayed and GUICtrlCreateRadio count may change. ;~ For $a = 1 to $aVarName[0] ;~ If UBound($aVarName) = $aVarName Then ;~ ; Resize the array when $iCount is equal to the element count in the array to prevent subscript error ;~ ReDim $aVarName[$aVarName[0] + $iMax] ;~ EndIf ;~ Assign("$bVideoName" & $a, $a) ;~ Local $aVarName[$a] = Eval($bVideoName[$a]) ;~ ; $aVarName[$a] = GUICtrlCreateRadio($aVarName[$a], $iL, $iT) ;~ Next $iCount = 1 ;MsgBox(0,"","VideoName[0] is "&$aVideoName[0]) ;_ArrayDisplay($aVideoName) Local $bVideoName1 If $iCount < $aVideoName[0] Then $bVideoName1 = GUICtrlCreateRadio($aVideoName[$iCount], $iL, $iT) GUICtrlSetState($bVideoName1, $GUI_CHECKED) $iT = $iT+30 EndIf $iCount = $iCount + 1 If $iCount <= ($aVideoName[0]) Then Local $bVideoName2 = GUICtrlCreateRadio($aVideoName[$iCount],$iL,$iT) $iT = $iT+30 EndIf $iCount = $iCount + 1 If $iCount <= ($aVideoName[0]) Then Local $bVideoName3 = GUICtrlCreateRadio($aVideoName[$iCount],$iL,$iT) $iT = $iT+30 EndIf $iCount = $iCount + 1 If $iCount <= ($aVideoName[0]) Then Local $bVideoName4 = GUICtrlCreateRadio($aVideoName[$iCount],$iL,$iT) $iT = $iT+30 EndIf $iCount = $iCount + 1 If $iCount <= ($aVideoName[0] -1) Then Local $bVideoName5 = GUICtrlCreateRadio($aVideoName[$iCount],$iL,$iT) $iT = $iT+30 EndIf $iCount = $iCount + 1 If $iCount <= ($aVideoName[0] -1) Then Local $bVideoName6 = GUICtrlCreateRadio($aVideoName[$iCount],$iL,$iT) $iT = $iT+30 EndIf $iCount = $iCount + 1 If $iCount <= ($aVideoName[0] -1) Then Local $bVideoName7 = GUICtrlCreateRadio($aVideoName[$iCount],$iL,$iT) $iT = $iT+30 EndIf $iT = $iT + 30 $idClose1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Go!", $iL, $iT) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ; ; Switch Statement ; ;Local $nMsg = "" While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit Case $bVideoName1 Case $bVideoName2 Case $bVideoName3 Case $bVideoName4 Case $bVideoName5 ;Case $bVideoName6 <- Fails because there are only 5 videos - Need variable $bVideoNames ;Case $bVideoName7 <- Fails because there are only 5 videos Case $idClose1 $bVideoName1 = GUICtrlRead($bVideoName1) $bVideoName2 = GUICtrlRead($bVideoName2) $bVideoName3 = GUICtrlRead($bVideoName3) $bVideoName4 = GUICtrlRead($bVideoName4) $bVideoName5 = GUICtrlRead($bVideoName5) ;$bVideoName6 = GUICtrlRead($bVideoName6) ;$bVideoName7 = GUICtrlRead($bVideoName7) ExitLoop EndSwitch WEnd GUIDelete($nMsg) MsgBox(0,"","Case " & $nMsg & " was selected.") ; Always returns 8. ??? This is the "MediaFiles.txt" file I am reading:
      D:\\MediaFiles\\BigBuckBunny.mp4 D:\\MediaFiles\\BigBuckBunny60fps.mp4 D:\\MediaFiles\\Sintel.mp4 D:\\MediaFiles\\sintel-2048-surround.mp4 D:\\MediaFiles\\TearsOfSteel.mp4 D:\\MediaFiles\\tearsofsteel_4K.mp4 I'm sure I have several mistakes (or poor coding methods) in my AutoIt file.
    • Skeletor
      By Skeletor
      Hi All,
      I know many newbies search for this feature.
      I decided to share this piece of code with everyone.
      Basically its a "splash screen" that has a transparent image.
      In a nutshell - Gui with a transparent gif.
      Enjoy...
      Download attachment....

Splash Screen GUI.zip
    • Skeletor
      By Skeletor
      Hi Developers,

While trying to find a way to actually style/skin the GUICtrlCreateTabItem, I read the help file and stated:
      My question to you guys is will this be updated? or am I hoping for something that will never come to pass?
      I've seen scripts between 2007 to 2009 allowing the tabs to be modified
      Reason for my question is I'm trying to make my GUI Tabs look more modern.
      Thanks in advance for reading my post.

• Jibberish
      By Jibberish
      I am trying to get the results of a radio button selection. I have tried implementing sample scripts but to no avail.
      Can someone tell / show me what I am doing wrong?
      #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> Local $bSelect1 Local $bSelect2 Local $bSelect3 SelectButton() ;The results of SelectButton is not being returned MsgBox(0,"","Select1 is "& $bSelect1 & ". Select2 is "& $bSelect2 & ". Select3 is "& $bSelect3 & ".") Func SelectButton() Local $hGUI = GUICreate("SGX4CP Tests", 300, 300) GUISetState() Local $bSelect1 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Select 1", 10, 160) Local $bSelect2 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Select 2", 10, 190) Local $bSelect3 = GUICtrlCreateRadio("Select 3", 10, 220) ; Set TestSelectForever as the default radio button GUICtrlSetState($bSelect1, $GUI_CHECKED) Local $idClose = GUICtrlCreateButton("Start", 120,250) Local $idMsg While 1 $idMsg = GUIGetMsg() Select Case $idMsg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Or $idMsg = $idClose ExitLoop Case $idMsg = $bSelect1 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($bSelect1), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED MsgBox(0,"","Select1") Case $idMsg = $bSelect2 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($bSelect2), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED MsgBox(0,"","Select2") Case $idMsg = $bSelect3 And BitAND(GUICtrlRead($bSelect3), $GUI_CHECKED) = $GUI_CHECKED MsgBox(0,"","Select3") ; GUICtrlRead($hGUI) EndSelect WEnd MsgBox(0,"","Select1 is "& $bSelect1 & ". Select2 is "& $bSelect2 & ". Select3 is "& $bSelect3 & ".") ; Why is this returning numbers? EndFunc  
    • usmiv4o
      By usmiv4o
      #cs ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- AutoIt Version: 3.2.4.3 Author: usmiv4o Script Function: AutoIt script to check if files in directory are changed. It is usefull for security contra-inteligense measures. Function Name: LoadTripwireDB() Description: Loads database (text file tripwire.txt) and compare files in /test folder for changes. compares Hash (MD5) checksums. If they are not the same starts Initial() Function Name: Initial() Description: Checks directory and makes index of files and their MD5 checksums in text file (tripwire.txt) Function Name: Hush() Description: Checks file and returns its MD5 checksum. Requirement(s): Windows XP Return Value(s): On Success - Returns true. Files are the same as before. On Failure - return false. Example: LoadTripwireDB() #ce ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- #include <Crypt.au3> #include <File.au3> #include <Array.au3> $sDir = @ScriptDir & "\Test" $sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\tripwire.txt" Func Hush(ByRef $sFile) $sRead = FileOpen( $sFile) $dHash = _Crypt_HashData($sRead, $CALG_MD5) ; Create a hash of the text entered. ConsoleWrite("Hash of file " & $sFile & " is " & $dHash & @CRLF) EndFunc ;ConsoleWrite("Files in Dir are " & $aScriptDir[0] & @CRLF) ;$sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "\Examples.txt" ;_FileWriteFromArray($sFilePath, $aScriptDir, 1) ;_ArrayDisplay($aScriptDir, "1D display") Func Initial() $aScriptDir = _FileListToArray($sDir) for $i = 1 To UBound($aScriptDir) - 1 $dHash = _Crypt_HashData($i, $CALG_MD5) ;ConsoleWrite("File " & $aScriptDir[$i] & " is " & $dHash & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite($aScriptDir[$i] & ":" & $dHash & @CRLF) ;Hush($aScriptDir[$i]) ;FileWrite $hFileOpen = FileOpen($sFilePath, $FO_APPEND) If $hFileOpen = -1 Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", "An error occurred when reading the file.") EndIf FileWrite($hFileOpen, $aScriptDir[$i] & ":" & $dHash & @CRLF) Next EndFunc Func Monitor() $aScriptDir = _FileListToArray($sDir) for $i = 1 To UBound($aScriptDir) - 1 Next EndFunc Func LoadTripwireDB() $comparison_ok = false $dArray = _FileListToArray($sDir) ;directory $dArray0 = UBound($dArray) - 1 $fArray = FileReadToArray($sFilePath) ;file $fArray0 = UBound($fArray) ;_ArrayDisplay($dArray, "files array") if $dArray0 = $fArray0 Then ; are file same as recorded in txt file? ;ConsoleWrite("files in monitoring dir: " & $dArray[0] & " = file recorded: " & $fArray0 & @CRLF & $fArray[0]& @CRLF) for $i = 1 To UBound($dArray) - 1 ;ConsoleWrite("i = " & $i & @CRLF) $dHash = _Crypt_HashData($i, $CALG_MD5) ;binary ;$dHash = BinaryToString($dHash) $ffhash = StringSplit( $fArray[$i-1],":") $fhash = $ffhash[2] ;ConsoleWrite("IsBinary $dHash " & IsBinary($dHash) & @CRLF) if $dHash = $fhash Then ;if compared hashes are equal ;ConsoleWrite($fhash & ":" & $dHash & " equal" & @CRLF) ;ConsoleWrite("File: " & $fhash & @CRLF & "Directory: " & $dHash & @CRLF & "equal: yes " & @CRLF) Else ;if compared hashes are not equal ;ConsoleWrite("File: " & $fhash & @CRLF & "Directory: " & $dHash & @CRLF & "equal: not " & @CRLF) ;MsgBox(0,"hash md5",$fhash & ":" & $dHash & " not equal") EndIf Next ;ConsoleWrite("hashes are equal" & @CRLF) $comparison_ok = true Else ConsoleWrite("number of files in monitoring dir are not same as recorded" & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("directory: " & $dArray[0] &":"& "files: " & UBound($fArray) - 1 & @CRLF) EndIf Return $comparison_ok EndFunc #main if LoadTripwireDB() = true Then ConsoleWrite(" hashes are equal " & @CRLF) ElseIf LoadTripwireDB() <> true Then ConsoleWrite(" hashes are not equal " & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite(" hashes are not equal " & @CRLF) Initial() EndIf  
      tripwire.au3
      tripwire.txt