Send() is not working

Hi, I haven't used Autoit in like 3 years so I'm not sure if something has changed and I'm doing something wrong but the Send() function is not working for me. I'm trying to send 4 Tabs then 2 Enters then some text. I thought it could be the window I'm working with so I just did a simple test and the keys are not being sent.

Run("C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.exe")
WinWait("Untitled - Notepad",0.0)
WinActivate("Untitled - Notepad",0.0)
WinWaitActive("Untitled - Notepad",0.0)
Sleep(3)
Send("{TAB}",0)
Send("test",0)
Send("t",0)
Send("e",0)
Send("s",0)
Send("t",0)

Notepad opens fine but then it just sits there. This is the output log:

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\..\AutoIt3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.au3" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "E:\AutoIt Projects\test.au3" /UserParams    
+>16:03:41 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.19.102.1901.0 SciTE v.4.1.2.0   Keyboard:00000409  OS:WIN_10/  CPU:X64 OS:X64  Environment(Language:0409)  CodePage:0  utf8.auto.check:4
+>         SciTEDir => C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE   UserDir => C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper   SCITE_USERHOME => C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\AutoIt v3\SciTE 
>Running AU3Check (3.3.14.5)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3  input:E:\AutoIt Projects\test.au3
+>16:03:41 AU3Check ended.rc:0
>Running:(3.3.14.5):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "E:\AutoIt Projects\test.au3"    
+>Setting Hotkeys...--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop

>Process failed to respond; forcing abrupt termination...
>Exit code: 1    Time: 11.86

I have to stop it because it doesn't do anything at all.

I already tried to use sleep thinking it was sending the keys too fast but no dice.

Thanks for your help.

Just now, Earthshine said:

Notepad on windows 10 isn’t easy to automate as it once was. What operating system are you using

Windows 10. But notepad is not really the problem, I just used it as test. any program any window the keys are not being send. it gets stuck at 

+>Setting Hotkeys...--> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop

2 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

I don’t see anywhere in the code where you’re setting hotkeys.

Exactly, I'm not setting hotkeys, should I? last time I wrote a script that involved sending keys I didn't have to set any hotkey. I even opened one of my old scripts ran it and same thing happened. 

Use [CLASS] instead of title.  With different languages and OS versions, it is more of a robust approach.  And get handle at the first call to Win* () so you can use it afterward.  Also, can you give us the REAL application you are trying to interact to ?

Edited by Nine

6 minutes ago, Nine said:

Use [CLASS] instead of title.  With different languages and OS versions, it is more of a robust approach.  And get handle at the first call to Win* () so you can use it afterward.  Also, can you give us the REAL application you are trying to interact to ?

The application is called FlirCloud and it is a CCTV application. I just tried using the class but didn't work either.

8 minutes ago, Nine said:

Show us the code you have so far, along with the control info you want to interact to...

Run("flircloud.exe")
Local $flir = WinWait("[CLASS:Qwidget]", "",0)
WinActivate($flir, "",0)
WinWaitActive($flir, "", 0)
sleep(5000)
Send("{TAB 4}")
Send("{ENTER}")

Title: Flir Cloud Client

Class: QWidget

Instance: 287

ClassnameNN: QWidget287

Name, ID and Text are empty.

But again I don't think the applications are the problem, I even ran one that I used to use before and it is not happening.

If ProcessExists("POS22.exe") Then
    ProcessClose("POS22.exe")
EndIf
ProcessWaitClose("POS22.exe")
Run("C:\POS\POS22.exe")
ProcessWait("POS22.exe")
WinWait("","0.00")
WinActivate("","0.00")
WinWaitActive("","0.00")
Send("{ALT}")
Send("{RIGHT 2}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{ENTER}")
WinWait("","Customer info")
WinActivate("","Customer info")
WinWaitActive("","Customer info")
Sleep(2)
Send("{TAB 2}")
Send("+{END}")
Send("{DEL}")
Send("P:\\PM229.mdb")
#cs
Send("C:\Program Files\DiGital WorkShop\POS Panic\PM229.mdb")
#CE
MouseMove(1162,742)
MouseClick("right")
Send("{ENTER}")

I know that one worked when I used it about 3 years ago. Not working today.

13 hours ago, Nine said:

WinActivate doesn't have a 3rd parameter. So it is impossible that you could run that script. What are you up to ?

oh yeah you're right I didn't see that. but believe me it worked at that time lol.

Maybe the older version of Autoit was more permissible of mistakes like this? I don't know.

Anyway I removed the 3rd parameter and that was it, it is sending the keys now. thanks.

13 hours ago, Werty said:

Qwidgets are a pain to automate, read this thread about qwidgets, not a solution as the zip in the example is missing, but will give you an idea of what you are up against...

Thanks I'll read it, Hopefully since the automation I want to do is quite simple it doesn't give me such hard time.

• 4 years later...

I'm having a similar issue.  The setup I'm running works fine. The /S opperator is for silent install however the installer leaves a window open that requires a user input to close. I'm trying to deploy this script in my MDT os deployments but can't for the life of me get a simple TAB then ENTER to close the window so my scripted deployment can continue.

Can anyone see a reason the following code would not work?

I know the #include's are'n't needed here, they're from various things I was trying/testing.   On that topic, I was using an If/Then section with message boxes to tell me if the window with [CLASS:#32770] exists. Oddly I got my popup window telling me that it does exist, but it appears several seconds before the software installer even appears.

I've tried ControlCommand, MouseMove and MouseClick and nothing I do will have any interaction with this window.   The script finishes without any errors or drama but it never seems to be executing anything below the WinWaitActive line.

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <AutoItConstants.au3>

CPSI_installer()

Func CPSI_installer()
    ShellExecute("\\<servername>\e$\Software\CPSI\cpsetup.exe","-host=0.0.0.0 /S","")
    Sleep(12000)
    WinWaitActive("[CLASS:#32770]", "")
       Sleep(3000)
       Send("{TAB}")
       Sleep(200)
       Send("{ENTER}")

EndFunc