Really rusty user needs help

Quick and dirty example:

#include <Excel.au3>

; Modify the following lines cof code if needed
Global $sScriptName = "Test"
Global $sWorkbook = "C:\Local\test\test.xlsx"
Global $sInStream = "1005"
Global $iAddress = 2 ; Index of "address" in $aData (starting with 0)
Global $iCompleted = 3 ; Index of "completed" in $aData (starting with 0)
Global $sCompleted = "D" ; Letter of column "completed" in the workbook
; Do not modify code beyond this line

; Start up Excel or connect to a running instance
Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open()
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Error opening Excel! @error=" & @error & ", @extended=0x" & Hex(@extended, 8))

; Open the workbook
Global $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $sWorkbook)
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Error opening Workbook '" & $sWorkbook & "'! @error=" & @error & ", @extended=0x" & Hex(@extended, 8))

; Read the whole workbook to an array
Global $aData = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook)
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Error reading data! @error=" & @error & ", @extended=0x" & Hex(@extended, 8))

; While
_ProcessInStream($sInStream)
; WEnd

Func _ProcessInStream($sAddress)
    Local $bFound = False ; Search for the address
    For $i = 1 To UBound($aData) - 1
        If $aData[$i][2] = $sAddress Then ; address found
            $bFound = True
            If $aData[$i][$iCompleted] <> "" Then ; Completed has already been set
                MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Address '" & $sAddress & "' has already been processed!")
            Else
                $aData[$i][$iCompleted] = "X" ; Set "completed" in the array
                _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, Default, "X", $sCompleted & ($i + 1)) ; Write the completed flag to the workbook
                If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Error writing data to workbook! @error=" & @error & ", @extended=0x" & Hex(@extended, 8))
            EndIf
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next
    If $bFound = False then MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Address '" & $sAddress & "' could not be found!")
EndFunc   ;==>_ProcessInStream

You have to decide

• how to handle addresses which couldn't be found in the workbook (should they be added at the bottom of the workbook?)
  • how to handle addresses which have already been completed but get processed again?
  • When should the workbook be saved? After each modification so in case of a script crash or power outage no data gets lost? At end of script?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

On 2/25/2021 at 3:17 AM, junkew said:

lValue = _Excel_RangeRead($oExcelDoc, Default, "R" &| cstr($i)| & "C4"

This fails  check as undefined function is this something you ^ "cstr($i) wrote as i can not find anything in the documents.

This code reflect changes you suggested , you will see the old code commented out.

mircomvirtualprinter.au3 testlocationsheets.xls

Edited by rharwood2
added code and sample excel file

1 hour ago, water said:

Quick and dirty example:

#include <Excel.au3>

Global $sWorkbook = "C:\Local\test\test.xlsx"
Global $iAddress = 2 ; Index of "address" in $aData (starting with 0)
Global $iCompleted = 3 ; Index of "completed" in $aData (starting with 0)
Global $sCompleted = "D" ; Letter of column "completed" in the workbook

If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Error opening Excel! @error=" & @error & ", @extended=0x" & Hex(@extended, 8))

; Open the workbook
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Error opening Workbook '" & $sWorkbook & "'! @error=" & @error & ", @extended=0x" & Hex(@extended, 8))

If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Error reading data! @error=" & @error & ", @extended=0x" & Hex(@extended, 8))

; While
; WEnd

For $i = 1 To UBound($aData) - 1
        If $aData[$i][2] = $sAddress Then ; address found
            $bFound = True
                MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Address '" & $sAddress & "' has already been processed!")
            Else
                _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, Default, "X", $sCompleted & ($i + 1)) ; Write the completed flag to the workbook
                If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Error writing data to workbook! @error=" & @error & ", @extended=0x" & Hex(@extended, 8))
            EndIf
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next
    If $bFound = False then MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Address '" & $sAddress & "' could not be found!")

You have to decide

• how to handle addresses which couldn't be found in the workbook (should they be added at the bottom of the workbook?) (seperate log ???)
  • how to handle addresses which have already been completed but get processed again? (ignore once in  it has been done)
  • When should the workbook be saved? After each modification so in case of a script crash or power outage no data gets lost? At end of script? (this is good design)

Sorry could not get this to work keep saying address not found even after making changes, prob pebcak error attaching sample excel file 

testlocationsheets.xls

After modifying the variable parts at the top of the script and fixing a bug it works great now.

#include <Excel.au3>

; ----------------------------------------------------------
Global $sWorkbook = "C:\Local\test\testlocationsheets.xls"
Global $iAddress = 3 ; Index of "address" in $aData (starting with 0)
Global $iCompleted = 4 ; Index of "completed" in $aData (starting with 0)
Global $sCompleted = "E" ; Letter of column "completed" in the workbook

; Open the workbook

; While
; WEnd

For $i = 0 To UBound($aData) - 1
        If $aData[$i][$iAddress] = $sAddress Then ; address found
            $bFound = True
            Else
            EndIf
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

i did make those same changes at the top except my path was as follows

Global $sWorkbook = "C:\fireutils\testlocationsheets.xls"
Global $iAddress = 3 ; Index of "address" in $aData (starting with 0)
Global $iCompleted = 4 ; Index of "completed" in $aData (starting with 0)

Works like a charm now to figure out how to incorperate it into the program , i guess with this i dont need my function to count the number of entrys now

1 minute ago, rharwood2 said:

i guess with this i dont need my function to count the number of entrys now

Correct. _Excel_RangeRead now reads the whole worksheet into an array. So the number of rows in the array is the nubmer of entries to process.
I did another update so you can now specify the line of the first entry in the worksheet (if you need to add a header line in the future).

Will post the new code as soon as you have answered my questions in the first post on this page and I have modified the code.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

these ones thought i did some where

• how to handle addresses which couldn't be found in the workbook (should they be added at the bottom of the workbook?)(Maybe pipe to log file)
  • how to handle addresses which have already been completed but get processed again? (Ignore, once processed its done) 
  • When should the workbook be saved? After each modification so in case of a script crash or power outage no data gets lost? At end of script? (This is really good Idea as the serial data can come in fairly quickly and it has crashed in the past, so i guess after each mod) 

Latest version:

#include <Excel.au3>
#include <FileConstants.au3>

Global $sWorkbook = "C:\Local\test\testlocationsheets.xls"
Global $iFirstLine = 1 ; Row number of first data record in the workbook (starting with 1)
Global $iAddress = 3 ; Index of column "address" in $aData (starting with 0)
Global $iCompleted = 4 ; Index of column "completed" in $aData (starting with 0)
Global $sLogFile = "C:\Local\test\testlocation.txt" ; Path to the log file

; Register a function to be called when autoIt exits. Close log file and Excel workbook
OnAutoItExitRegister("_ExitScript")

; Open the workbook

; Read the whole workbook into an array

; Open the Logfile - create path and file if they do no exist
Global $hLog = FileOpen($sLogFile, BitOR($FO_APPEND, $FO_CREATEPATH))
_WriteLog("I", "Starting Script")

; While
; WEnd
Exit

For $i = ($iFirstLine - 1) To UBound($aData) - 1
        If $aData[$i][$iAddress] = $sAddress Then ; address found
            $bFound = True
                _WriteLog("W", "Address '" & $sAddress & "' has already been processed!")
            Else
                _Excel_BookSave($oWorkbook)
                If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, $sScriptName, "Error saving workbook! @error=" & @error & ", @extended=0x" & Hex(@extended, 8))
                _WriteLog("I", "Address '" & $sAddress & "' successfully processed!")
            EndIf
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    Next
    If $bFound = False Then _WriteLog("E", "Address '" & $sAddress & "' could not be found in the Excel workbook!")

;--------------------------------------
; Wites a message to the logfile
; Format: YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS Type Message
; Type: I - Information (everything worked as expected)
;       W - Warning (everything worked fine - but I wanted to tell you about this)
;       E - Error (Processing could not be started or completed)
Func _WriteLog($sType, $sMessage)
    FileWrite($hLog, @YEAR & "/" & @MON & "/" & @MDAY & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & ":" & @SEC & " " & $sType & " " & $sMessage & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_WriteLog

; Does some cleanup before the scriptt ends
Func _ExitScript()
    ; Save workbook and close Excel
    _Excel_BookClose($oWorkbook, True)
    _Excel_Close($oExcel, True)
    ; Close the log file
    _WriteLog("I", "Exiting Script")
    FileClose($hLog)
EndFunc   ;==>_ExitScript

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Developers
4 minutes ago, rharwood2 said:

So close i incorperated your script into the orginal  for  one of the  cases but it is causeing numerous errors  could i trouble you to take a look  and see what i did wrong 

You do know that a keyboard also has these funky characters like ,?. to make a sentence much more readable and actually indicated you are asking something? :lol: 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Update it compiles now but  I am still messing something up. Attaching latest au3 

EDIT working now but program closes after every line read in from serial string, also need to  change string i grab for address  into number other wise it does not match  what is in excel file, ie  grabbing " 1001" from stream but excel file has "1001" Getting so close

mircomvirtualprinterv6.au3

Edited by rharwood2
update

yes !!!! Success Thanks evryone for all your help. Water in the processing when it does the read, if there are spaces in the address field  or blank lines in the  spread sheet?? is this affecting the input??  On a larger spread sheet while  searching, it is restarting the workbook and opening a second copy.

Update: Just checked file 842 Rows in the file,  10 coloums wide,  is this going to be issue?

Edited by rharwood2

Spaces could make a difference as my example does a string compare. If needed StringStripWS should be used to remove any whitespace (spaces etc.).
Empty lines get ignored.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I got the space thing fixed, It how I was  stripping them from the stream but I will keep that function in mind. Any idea what would cause the script to open a second copy  of the workbook?  It seems if the  address is any distance  away in the excel file, ie couple of 100 rows away it can not find the address ( as per the log file )  and it starts a new instance of the file  but if the address is close the find works good. 

Seems the data still has some leading or trailing spaces or other whitespace.
Can not think of any reason why a new workbook should be opened.
My example opens the workbook at the beginning and then goes into a loop. So I think it has to do with your code.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

water Just noticed this, is this correct??  Does $sInStream get converted to $Address ?? I never noticed the diff till i typed it out in the question below

_ProcessInStream($sInStream) ; your call

Func _ProcessInStream($sAddress) ; the function
$sInStream = StringStripWS($CARDADD,8)

This the line that is setting the varible in your compare statement. should I be doing the same on the other side of the compare???

If StringStripWS($aData[$i][$iAddress],8)  = $sAddress Then

Something like this ???

Edited by rharwood2
changed code insertion to comply

You pass $sInStream as parameter to function _ProcessInStream. In the scope of the function the parameter is accessed by the name $sAddress.
More details can be found in the help file.

$sAddress is the value you provide. But it doesn't hurt to strip whitespace on both sides.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki