AutoIt/Wiki broken?

Zvend

I hope this is the right section, caused i clicked through every subforum and still might be wrong.
Anways going through https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki where it shows code snippets seems broken.
Every code snippet is not formatted or incorrect formatted.

Tried to register for the wiki but didn't find anything. 

Im using chrome Version 113.0.5672.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)
but i have tested it with a few other browsers, also used 2 seperate PCs and checked it on my mobile phone.
My friend has the same issue.

Here an example of what i am talking about:

image.png.14d7d51553818262738e6e0b15a62dc8.png

Thank you in advance!

Utils-For-AutoIt:

• C++ like Vectors in plain AutoIt
  • Flag Arrays. (Use Booleans in a very efficient storage container with endless Indecies.)
  • Prefixed Arrays. Name in progress. Auto resized Arrays for ID values. 0 reserved for its size.
  • Callback Arrays. Name in progress. 2D Array for event based message callbacks.
  • Dll. Load Dlls from a BinaryString and use its functions. Checks for Dll Validation (PE File Formats).
  • Integer. Not sure about the name either. Simple Functions to convert Integers in different sized.
  • UnitTest. A simple UDF providing UnitTests. Adjusted for github workflows. (Check repo)

2 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

Pretty sure this is a known issue, but I don't know when they plan to fix it. See prior thread regarding forum upgrade for more details.

probably thats why i couldnt find it :]
image.png.2c2e69500a42e246ea93a8fc9d5fb6eb.png

Utils-For-AutoIt:

• Flag Arrays. (Use Booleans in a very efficient storage container with endless Indecies.)
  • Prefixed Arrays. Name in progress. Auto resized Arrays for ID values. 0 reserved for its size.
  • Callback Arrays. Name in progress. 2D Array for event based message callbacks.
  • Dll. Load Dlls from a BinaryString and use its functions. Checks for Dll Validation (PE File Formats).
  • Integer. Not sure about the name either. Simple Functions to convert Integers in different sized.
  • UnitTest. A simple UDF providing UnitTests. Adjusted for github workflows. (Check repo)

Yea i jsut read up, i need 20 posts on this forum. I almost never have a question than reporting bugs. Im kind of good in googling, debugging and experimenting.
Will probably take another year to get 20 posts.

Utils-For-AutoIt:

• Developers
5 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

I bet @Jos can fix that for you. 🙂

Maybe I could in case I would have admin access, but @Jon is the only person that has "God mode" to the systems, forum and Wiki. ;) 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers

Oh ...  that we can do....   as that is merely putting the member into another group. :)   

Move done so should work now. 

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

hmm, just went to https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/Arrays and see nothing wrong :huh2:

Edit: https://www.autoitscript.com/wiki/AutoIt_Snippets is messed up. :(
 @Zvend, thanks for bringing it up :) 

Edited by argumentum

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

3 hours ago, Jos said:

Oh ...  that we can do....   as that is merely putting the member into another group. :)   

Move done so should work now. 

oh thank your very much! I hope i still hit the correct subforum.

Another related thing to "wiki" and AutoIt in general:
I wish there would be more updates for the Wiki with better explanations and also correct naming conventions or UDF Headers.
I think the wiki could be a much better place than it is right now. Def. missing the part about bad practises about some insights in AutoIt.
E.g. about DllStructs. They sometimes do behave odd when they dont have a fixed address previously called malloc.
I sadly deleted my example yesterday, cause it frustrated me. I had to pass the same struct a few times through different functions
and even ByRef didnt work. I stored a BYTE[10000] and have set the value to the binary data of a file. It was a local Struct.
But at some point the data changed but the pointer didnt. And the funny thing i didnt edit the data, i only read from it and created
sub structs with the ptr of the main struct + an offset. How can i know if AutoIt allocates more memory
than I actually wanted it to make (example the substructs).

Long story short, I wish there would be one place in the wiki with neat tricks. Would sneak into the code to understand it myself but its sadly not
open source anymore. Which would be cool to have the community code for AutoIt features and enhance the project more, since
it feels like the interest of adding more features fall asleep.

I wish AutoIt had some features about better memory management. :)

Utils-For-AutoIt:

Please define "better". What is missing? Can you please give an example?

11 hours ago, Zvend said:

and also correct naming conventions or UDF Headers.

That is already available. Just search the wiki.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

1 hour ago, water said:

Please define "better". What is missing? Can you please give an example?

That is already available. Just search the wiki.

Sure!
I pick the examples of the UDF Headers.

1)
"Non standard libraries can be used if necessary, but this should be documented and linked to so users can download it as well."
How do I document it? How should I link it? What should I link? (Direct Download link?, repo?, ..?)

2)
The next thing that is unclear are Constants. Yes it seems pretty clear looking at this:

Any global constant values are defined in this section. This should be constants only designated for use within the library itself. Constants that may be needed by the user should be defined in a separate file, named UDFConstants.au3 where UDF is the name of the parent file. For example File.au3 uses constants defined in FileConstants.au3. The exception to that rule is control UDFs which miss out the prepended 'GUI' when naming constant files, so GUIButton.au3 uses constants from ButtonConstants.au3. The template for this section is:

I understand I shall declare them in a different file, when they are optional.
But this causes a conflict in my head with: "Not use any magic numbers. Ever. None. At all. No excuses."
When I make constants optional, how do I use their values in my code without creating magic numbers and without making them a dependency by including them?

3)
The whole file header is confusing.
Example: 
In Other Sections it says "Other sections, in order of appearance, are as follows."
Okey but then it tells you under Listing: "It MUST be the second defined header item after #Index"

(4)) The wiki is unformatted and I don't have mood to parse the example, cause I already saw it doesn't cover every thing to take care of in an UDF that might has to deal with every case. Making it hard to present a correct UDF.

(5)) How can I include my UDF in my local Help File? I want to see if it parses correctly and in general building the Help File yourself would be cool. I googled a lot about it and all I found were some custom approaches of creating an Help File which then lacks not having the default AutoIt entries.

This is just a recent example I have. There are more but I currently don't have the time to review it to exclude false statements from me.
As a general rule, you really have to dig deep to find stuff that is actually useful to know, which is sad in my opinion but easy changable.

Utils-For-AutoIt:

On 5/17/2023 at 2:12 PM, Zvend said:

1)
"Non standard libraries can be used if necessary, but this should be documented and linked to so users can download it as well."
How do I document it? How should I link it? What should I link? (Direct Download link?, repo?, ..?)

Usually you start a thread in the Example Scripts forum (Example: Active Directory UDF) where you describe your UDF. Post #1 usually holds a link to the latest version of your UDF. I have stored all my UDFs in the Files section of the forum, others store their work on GitHub etc. etc.

2)
The next thing that is unclear are Constants.

Two things to consider:

• The number of constants. If there are only a few I simply define them in the UDF file itself.
  • Magic numbers. It does not matter where this constants are defined. Just create this constants so they can be used in the UDF and your script.

I understand I shall declare them in a different file, when they are optional.

No, you should define them in a separate file when they are used by the scripter. When the constants are used internally in the UDF then you can define them in the UDF file.
But his are no iron rules. I do not think it makes sense to create an additonal file for just a few constants.

(4)) The wiki is unformatted and I don't have mood to parse the example, cause I already saw it doesn't cover every thing to take care of in an UDF that might has to deal with every case. Making it hard to present a correct UDF.

This problem is caused by the latest update of the forum software. I hope it can be solved in the near future.

(5)) How can I include my UDF in my local Help File?

You can't. The help file that comes with AutoIt consists of the AutoIt and hte SciTE help.
But you can have a look at the Simple Library Docs Generator to create a CHM file and at Advanced.Help to call this help file when the cursor is on a line calling a function of your UDF.

Hope I could answer some of your questions.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

The whole autoit docs source is available as download here...

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/files/archive/autoit/ (autoit-docs-v3.3.16.1-src)

(docs/autoit/english/html/index.htm)

That's the online version of the help file, that can be viewed locally offline when downloaded, then you could change it to your needs adding your own udf.

Not as cool as the CHM helpfile, but still useful.

Some guy's script + some other guy's script = my script!

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 5:21 PM, water said:

Usually you start a thread in the Example Scripts forum (Example: Active Directory UDF) where you describe your UDF. Post #1 usually holds a link to the latest version of your UDF. I have stored all my UDFs in the Files section of the forum, others store their work on GitHub etc. etc.

Two things to consider:

• The number of constants. If there are only a few I simply define them in the UDF file itself.
  • Magic numbers. It does not matter where this constants are defined. Just create this constants so they can be used in the UDF and your script.

No, you should define them in a separate file when they are used by the scripter. When the constants are used internally in the UDF then you can define them in the UDF file.
But his are no iron rules. I do not think it makes sense to create an additonal file for just a few constants.

This problem is caused by the latest update of the forum software. I hope it can be solved in the near future.

You can't. The help file that comes with AutoIt consists of the AutoIt and hte SciTE help.
But you can have a look at the Simple Library Docs Generator to create a CHM file and at Advanced.Help to call this help file when the cursor is on a line calling a function of your UDF.

Hope I could answer some of your questions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. Some of the infos were quite useful but my main complaint is, that nothing (or the most of it) of that is really clear stated on the wiki.
You left some my questions open or indirectly replied to them.

2)

When I make constants optional, how do I use their values in my code without creating magic numbers and without making them a dependency by including them?

Lets suppose i have 100 constants and i define them in an optional file, like the wiki told me to.
How do i use the constants in my UDF without including the constant file itself and to not declare the constant twice?
The only logical result for me is to use magic numbers, which may make the code unreadable.

4)

i was more speaking about that the wiki does not cover enough in my opinion

Utils-For-AutoIt:

A magic number is the opposite of a Constant. If you want to avoid magic numbers you have to use Constants. It does not matter where you define them. In your script or in a separate file which you include (that is meant by "optional file").
There is no such thing like an optional Constant.

On 6/7/2023 at 10:53 AM, Zvend said:

nothing (or the most of it) of that is really clear stated on the wiki.

The wiki is managed by volunteers. It is a source of information like the forum. Your first source is the official help file provided with AutoIt. In the wiki you find in depth information about a lot - but not all - subjects. If you do not find the needed information in the wiki then you get help in the forum. This might then lead to an update in the wiki - if someone finds some spare time and the wiki works :)

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki