word COM error

Go to solution Solved by Champak,

I'm getting a COM error when starting word and the only way to fix it is to manually start word.

I made a spell checker from this: 

The problem is every once in a while word will pop up 15 windows or so of unsaved documents for me to save or exit spawned from this app. When I do that and close all of them out I get the following COM error every time I start my script when it hits: Global $oWordApp = _Word_Create(False)

Besides forcing word to execute and close upon WordCreate throwing that error (if that will fix the problem), is there some other way to fix this?

Screenshot 2023-06-15 163650.jpg

That's the odd thing, it's just an include file: #include <EditConstants.au3> on line 53. This comes before the call to the WordCreate. Has nothing to do with the COM as far as I saw, I couldn't figure out the relationship. I can't readily reproduce Word glitching out and telling me to do something with the documents, so it's hard to actively TS this.

Edited by Champak

• Moderators

Have to agree with Andreik, you have been a member long enough to know the community crystal ball is in the shop. Post a reproducer; help us help you.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Word.au3>

#include <EditConstants.au3> ; no error that I can see

; Create a new Word object
_Word_Create()
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_Create Example", _
                "Error creating a new Word application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
If @extended = 1 Then
        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_Create Example", "MS Word was not running when _Word_Create was called.")
Else
        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_Create Example", "MS Word was already running when _Word_Create was called.")
EndIf

no hard. This does not show an error @Champak

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• Solution

I get both of your points, but I didn't put any code because 1/ I know it had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the app, 2/ It's 10,000 lines of code in the app. If it did have something to do with the rest of the code I would't expect anyone to dig through it all to find the problem, and since I didn't know how to reproduce a shortened version to reproduce the problem because I didn't know what the problem was, giving a working sample code would not be possible.

Either way argumentum pointed me in the right direction to dig with that error check. It turns out I HAVE to put the second parameter as True if I don't already have Word running to prevent that COM error, or suppress it in the com error handler function. The spell check works with word regardless, but the COM error still comes up. That is not clear to me the way the help file is worded...especially since the excel udf doesn't work like that. Either way, it's fixed now. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Champak said:

I get both of your points, but I didn't put any code because 1/ I know it had absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the app

If that would be true than you might reproduce the error fairly easy. :yes:

When the words fail... music speaks.

If you set the second parameter to True ALWAYS a new instance of Word is created even when Word is already running.
If _Word_Create is started with default values it tries to connect to a running instance. When there is none you get the COM error you posted above.
Call _Word_Create with default values and ignore the first COM error you get from this function.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Yeah I get that, that second parameter doesn't make that much sense to me. I just don't want that initial error regardless. I did the following instead.

Global $WordComGlitch = True
Global $oWordApp = _Word_Create(False)
$WordComGlitch = False

Func ErrFunc($oError)

If $WordComGlitch = True Then Return

$oExcel.ScreenUpdating = True
    MsgBox($MB_OK, "A COM Error was intercepted!", _
            "Number: 0x" & Hex($oError.number, 8) & @CRLF & _
            "Description: " & $oError.windescription & @CRLF & _
            "At line: " & $oError.scriptline)
    Return
EndFunc   ;==>ErrFunc