SciTE and my script version

Is it possible that SciTE editor will add version number like:

;Version: 1.001

MyFunc()

Func MyFunc()
    MsgBox(0,0,"Hello World!")
EndFunc

and increase that number every time I edit/save the script?

Sometimes I need to compare my backup script file with current version and I want to know how many times it was changed.

30 minutes ago, maniootek said:

and increase that number every time I edit/save the script?

Sometimes I need to compare my backup script file with current version and I want to know how many times it was changed.

My suggestion is to use a version control system like Git instead of creating a backup file. So you could jump back and forth between your commits (versions) and alway could see the different changes which were made. Then you also can use Git TAGs with proper SemVer versions names.
Only a suggestion to avoid manual version handling.

Best regards
Sven

Stay innovative!

Spoiler

🌍 Au3Forums

🎲 AutoIt (en) Cheat Sheet

📊 AutoIt limits/defaults

💎 Code Katas: [...] (comming soon)

🎭 Collection of GitHub users with AutoIt projects

🐞 False-Positives

🔮 Me on GitHub

💬 Opinion about new forum sub category

📑 UDF wiki list

✂ VSCode-AutoItSnippets

📑 WebDriver FAQs

👨‍🏫 WebDriver Tutorial (coming soon)

• Developers
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, maniootek said:

thank you but I do not compile scripts. I "run" them, any idea?

So what exactly would be the trigger to update the variable? ...  Save is an option, but that will increment the version very fast.
... and the simple way obviously is to write a small script and update the existing variable, similar to autoit3wrapper.au3 and connect that to a Shortcut so SciTE can run that for any script. 
... or write your own LUA function for that in SciTE.

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• Developers
Posted (edited)

So just for the heck of it: the full SciTE4AutoIt3 comes with a PersonalTools.lua in the %localappdata%\AutoIt v3\SciTE, so this is an example LUA function how you could update the version on each save, when it is found in the source file:

-- Update version of line with this format:
-- ;Version: 1.001
-- on each save
function PersonalTools:OnBeforeSave(path)
    if editor.Lexer == SCLEX_AU3 and path ~= "" then
        local spos, epos = editor:findtext('^\\s*;Version:\\s*[\\d\\.]*', SCFIND_REGEXP, 0)
        if spos then
            local dline = editor:textrange(spos, epos)
            local curversion = dline:match('Version:%s*([%d%.]*)')
            newversion = curversion + 0.001
            editor:SetSel(spos, epos)
            editor:ReplaceSel(";Version: " .. string.format("%.3f", newversion))
        end
    end
end

Over to you to modify it to your wishes. :) 

Edited by Jos
fixed path

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Jos said:

So just for the heck of it: the full SciTE4AutoIt3 comes with a PersonalTools.lua in the %localuserdata%\AutoIt v3\SciTE, so this is an example LUA function how you could update the version on each save, when it is found in the source file:

-- on each save
        local spos, epos = editor:findtext('^\\s*;Version:\\s*[\\d\\.]*', SCFIND_REGEXP, 0)
        if spos then
        end
    end
end

Over to you to modify it to your wishes. :) 

thank you @Jos for taking the time to help me, I just love you 😍 It works !

by the way, this is the path to that file in my computer (%localuserdata% seems to be not valid environment variable)

%localAppData%\AutoIt v3\SciTE\PersonalTools.lua

Edited by maniootek

I have one issue with this feature. Now when I run script from SciTE then my cursor jump to the beginning of the code to change the Version number. Is it possible that cursor stay in the place or jump back?

https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/Lua/SciTE%20Pane%20API.htm

My first .lua commands :)

-- on each save
        if spos then
            local cpos = editor.CurrentPos -- Sets the position of the caret.
            editor:GotoPos(cpos) -- Set caret to a position and ensure it is visible.
        end
    end
end

I know that I know nothing

• Developers
2 hours ago, maniootek said:

I have one issue with this feature.

This is not a feature, but rather an example for you to play with. So change the script so it does exactly what you want it to do. 
The documentation about the SciTE LUA functions are in the Helpfle. ;) 

... and as you can see by the last reply: Even somebody that never used LUA scripts before can do it when you put your mind to it and do a little bit of searching!

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

27 minutes ago, Jos said:

This is not a feature, but rather an example for you to play with. So change the script so it does exactly what you want it to do. 
The documentation about the SciTE LUA functions are in the Helpfle. ;) 

... and as you can see by the last reply: Even somebody that never used LUA scripts before can do it when you put your mind to it and do a little bit of searching!

Yes. Now I have speficication and example I can work on.

Anyway, I don't understand the specification fully (even if I translate it to my language). Lua syntax is also something new for me.

Now I tried to fix one more issue with that code. Now my script version is increasing every save and cursor stays in the line I was working on but my code jump as the page is scrolled. I tried to fix it by finding some function which can read the current scroll position and then set that position.

local curscrollpos = editor.XOffset
editor:LineScroll(curscrollpos, 0)

but it does not work

• Developers
Posted (edited)

What about this version:

-- Perform before each save
    local VersionPrefix = ";Version:"                -- define the prefix for version line. needs to be the first string on a line
        -- find version prefix in sourcecode
        local spos, epos = editor:findtext('^\\s*' .. VersionPrefix .. '\\s*[\\d\\.]*', SCFIND_REGEXP, 0)
        -- Update when found
        if spos then
            local dline = editor:textrange(spos, epos) -- get the text found
            local curversion = dline:match(VersionPrefix .. '%s*([%d%.]*)') -- retrive portion containing the number
            local orgpos = editor.CurrentPos           -- save current pos
            local firstvisible = editor.FirstVisibleLine -- save first visible line of script
            olen = epos - spos                         -- calculate length of found version string
            local newversion = VersionPrefix .. string.format(" %.3f", curversion + 0.001)
            nlen = newversion:len()                    -- calculate length of new version string
            editor:SetSel(spos, epos)                  -- Set text to replace
            editor:ReplaceSel(newversion)              -- replace old version string with new
            if epos <= editor.CurrentPos then
                editor:GotoPos(orgpos)                 -- set caret back to saved pos when we were before the xhanged text
            else
                editor:GotoPos(orgpos + nlen - olen)   -- set caret back to saved pos when we were after the changed text
            end
            editor.FirstVisibleLine = firstvisible     -- reset first visible line of script
        end
    end
end

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.