Latest Beta

Jon

Here a test script I wrote where you can see the FPS counter. Best performance I get is when running it with x64 and Beta!

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a big doofus. Ok, no improvements were made. I forgot to remove the i+= 1 from the function. When I do that then the FPS goes back down.

If I run your script on x64 and beta then I get around 18 fps. However if I modify the Draw_Stars function to use a for loop then it jumps up to 32 fps!

Func Draw_Stars()
    $fps_timer = TimerInit()

$idle_n = _Timer_GetIdleTime()

If $idle_n < $idle_o Then _exit()

$idle_o = $idle_n

Local $newx, $newy, $i, $c

GUISetCursor(16, 1, $hGUI)

_GDIPlus_GraphicsFillRect($hGraphic, 0, 0, $iW, $iH, $hBrush)

For $i = 0 To $maxStars - 1
        $aStars[$i][0] += $aStars[$i][0] / $speed
        $aStars[$i][1] += $aStars[$i][1] / $speed
        $aStars[$i][2] += $r
        $newx = $aStars[$i][0] + $iW2
        $newy = $aStars[$i][1] + $iH2
        $c = Hex(Min($aStars[$i][2], 0xFF), 2)
        _GDIPlus_PenSetColor($hPen, "0xFF" & $c & $c & $c)
        _GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawEllipse($hGraphic, $newx, $newy, 1, 1, $hPen)
        If $newx < 0 Or $newx > $iW Or $newy < 0 Or $newy > $iH Then NewStars($i, $iW2 * _Random(0.75, 1.25, 0.95, 1.05), $iH2 * _Random(0.75, 1.25, 0.95, 1.05), $iW2 * _Random(0.75, 1.25, 0.95, 1.05), $iH2 * _Random(0.75, 1.25, 0.95, 1.05))
        $i += 1
    Next

$fps_diff = TimerDiff($fps_timer)

If TimerDiff($fps_maintimer) > 499 Then ;calculate FPS
        $fps = Int(1000 / $fps_diff)
        $fps_maintimer = TimerInit()
    EndIf

_GDIPlus_GraphicsDrawStringEx($hGraphic, $fps, $hFont, $tLayout, $hFormat, $hBrush_Text)

_WinAPI_BitBlt($hDC, $main_screen_x, 0, $iW, $iH, $hDC_backbuffer, 0, 0, $SRCCOPY)
EndFunc   ;==>Draw_Stars
Edited by LaCastiglione

LaCastiglione, your function does indeed work faster. (*or so it seemed lol)

However, I'm not seeing any of the performance gains other people are claiming to see with the latest betas - the fps on both of those versions remains consistent.

Also, one odd thing about the 64-bit version of AutoIt is that it consistently runs slower for all programs I test. I'm starting to wonder if this has to do with the processor itself. It's an older model (Q6600), so perhaps the CPU itself was optimized more for 32-bit code. Intel may have needed one or two more generations to get 64-bit optimizations perfected..

Edited by Ascend4nt

As an unrelated to AutoIt sidenote, we see 6 .. 7% speed improvement by compiling the C source of SQLite as a single huge preprocessed source (called the amalgamation) versus compiling the same headers/code source files using the same version and options of a compiler. Executable size is also reduced. This is of course due to recent compilers being able to devise much more clever optimizations when they "see" the whole picture at once, instead of being forced to generate conservative code in separate compilation units. AFAIK the best performer in this area is gcc but I'd love to try Intel compiler.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

LaCastiglione, your function does indeed work faster. (*or so it seemed lol)

Well, when I leave in the i += 1 doesn't skip half of the stars?

However, I'm not seeing any of the performance gains other people are claiming to see with the latest betas - the fps on both of those versions remains consistent.

I didn't either. I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ BE.

Also, one odd thing about the 64-bit version of AutoIt is that it consistently runs slower for all programs I test. I'm starting to wonder if this has to do with the processor itself. It's an older model (Q6600), so perhaps the CPU itself was optimized more for 32-bit code. Intel may have needed one or two more generations to get 64-bit optimizations perfected..

I'm lost in that techno jungle.

Well, my fps calculation was probably not good and I changed the code a little bit.

Sorry,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

• Administrators

3.3.7.10 (14th June, 2011) (Beta)

- Fixed #1565: Arrays as object properties; memory leak. (trancexx)

- Fixed: ObjCreate() memory leak when using a remote computer. (trancexx)

- Fixed #865: winhttp.winhttprequest.5.1 ObjEvent unhandled exception. (trancexx)

- Fixed: Remote COM bug caused by incorrect CoCreateInstanceEx() parameter. (trancexx)

I haven't hit 3.3.7.10 yet, but on .9 InetGet/Read seems to be broken when using proxies. I've tried HttpSetProxy(0) for IE settings and explicitly setting the proxy HttpSetProxy(2, "<my_proxy:port>"), but neither will let me get anything while at work behind our HTTP proxy. I don't have anywhere else to test, so can anyone confirm a problem?

Edited by wraithdu

Dammit, sorry. No problem. Turns out my work proxy blocks requests based on User Agent as well, so I needed to set a valid browser user agent.

Edit:

Ok, odd. I first used Chrome's agent string and it worked. Then I tried "some user agent" and it still worked. So maybe our proxy has a blacklist instead of a whilelist and AutoIt's user agent string is blocked. Shitty.

Maybe changing the default to a valid browser string would be a good idea?

Edited by wraithdu

Also, is the change away from inlining the SQLite3 DLLs permanent? I see it is now trying to pull directly from AutoIt's servers (which is how I ran into this dumb proxy issue in the first place). I would have to vote against this, as AutoIt can't guarantee a user has an active network connection.

Oh, and the DLL version in the UDF is outdated compared to what is available on AutoIt's server.

wraithdu;

I just download the actual dll from the SQLite site and then either put it in @SystemDir and register it OR put it in @ScriptDir.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"

I'm kinda mystified about #forceref and #forcedef intended use and/or differences.

Doc(beta) is only saying "can be used ... (Function/Assign)" with a example that on its own is also only showing the how, but not the why.

... to me of course.

As such the following is probably a correct error message. But I have no clue about why a Const is triggering this error.

Local Enum $_Default_, $_1_, $_2_, $_3_
#forcedef $_Default_, $_1_, $_2_, $_3_
D:\_CODE_\...\___MAIN___.au3(85,14) : ERROR: $_Default_ previously declared as a 'Const'.
            #forcedef $_Default_
            ~~~~~~~~~~^

(switched back to #forceref)

---

Think the dime is slowly dropping. Still ... a little more info on those two options is probably not a bad idea.

Edited by iEvKI3gv9Wrkd41u

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

@iEvKI3gv9Wrkd41u: Post a short demo. If I run just this through AU3Check, I get no errors:

Local Enum $_Default_, $_1_, $_2_, $_3_

#forcedef $_Default_, $_1_, $_2_, $_3_

But the intended use is more like this:

Main()

Func Main()
    #forcedef $MyVar_1
    Assign("MyVar_1", "one")
    ConsoleWrite("$MyVar_1 = " & $MyVar_1 & @LF)
EndFunc

Run that with Production 3.3.6.1 and you get the error report, run it with Beta 3.3.7.10 and it runs clean.

:huh2:

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Yep, Was using #forcedef wrongly. ... fixed

Edited by iEvKI3gv9Wrkd41u

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

3.3.7.11 (4th July, 2011) (Beta)

AutoIt:

- Changed: PCRE updated to 8.12.

- Added: COM support for pure "OUT" parameters. (trancexx)

- Fixed: Potential memory leak in COM error event code. (trancexx)

Good to have that PCRE update. Thanks Jon.

Was that compiled using UCP?

I'll probably know soon enough but I have not had a chance to get it installed yet.

George

Question about decompiling code? Read the decompiling FAQ and don't bother posting the question in the forums.

Be sure to read and follow the forum rules. -AKA the AutoIt Reading and Comprehension Skills test.***

The PCRE (Regular Expression) ToolKit for AutoIT - (Updated Oct 20, 2011 ver:3.0.1.13) - Please update your current version before filing any bug reports. The installer now includes both 32 and 64 bit versions. No change in version number.

Visit my Blog .. currently not active but it will soon be resplendent with news and views. Also please remove any links you may have to my website. it is soon to be closed and replaced with something else.

"Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!"