OutlookEX UDF - Help & Support

Hi John,

should be possible using the OutlookEX UDF. Use

• _OL_FolderAccess to access the contacts folder
  • _OL_ItemFind to get the contacts (select EntryID plus all the properties you want to change)
  • _OL_ItemModify to update the contacts using the EntryID
I will be glad to help if you have further questions

Water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Hi John, should be possible using the OutlookEX UDF. Use

• _OL_FolderAccess to access the contacts folder
  • _OL_ItemFind to get the contacts (select EntryID plus all the properties you want to change)
  • _OL_ItemModify to update the contacts using the EntryID
I will be glad to help if you have further questions Water
I Must be missing something. It looks so easy. I threw this code together from the examples but I've got something out of place as i get and error 3.

#include <OutlookEX.au3>

Global $oOutlook = _OL_Open()
global $aFolder = _OL_FolderAccess($oOutlook, "", $olFolderContacts)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit MsgBox(16, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_FolderAccess Example Script", "Error accessing the default contacts folder. @error = " & @error)
$aFolder[1].Display
;MsgBox(64, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_FolderAccess Example Script", "Default contacts folder successfully accessed and displayed.")

Global $aItems = _OL_ItemFind($oOutlook, $aFolder[1], "", "", "", "", "All")
If @error = 0 Then
    MsgBox(64, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_ItemFind Example Script", "Number of items found: " & $aItems)
Else
    MsgBox(48, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_ItemFind Example Script", "Could not find an item in the contacts folders. @error = " & @error & ", @extended: " & @extended)
EndIf

_ArrayDisplay($aItems)

The contacts are displayed so the "FolderAccess" is OK.

and $aFolder[1] should be the folder object that "ItemFind" asks for.

So what am I missing???

I did try specifying the folder directly and using $aFolder[5] but nothing gave me any joy. :)

Help would be apreciated.

Thanks

John Morrison

You did everything quite well. The problem is the "All" parameter. It isn't implemented properly yet :)

Replace "All" with "EntryId,xxx,yyy" where xxx and yyy are any of the ContactItem properties which you can find here.

Plus replace line

MsgBox(64, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_ItemFind Example Script", "Number of items found: " & $aItems)
with
MsgBox(64, "OutlookEX UDF: _OL_ItemFind Example Script", "Number of items found: " & $aItems[0][0])

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 3 weeks later...

Which version of Outlook do you use?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Haven't done it myself but I think this should work:

#include <OutlookEX.au3>
$oOL = _OL_Open()
$aFolder = _OL_FolderAccess($oOL, "", $olFolderToDo)

Then you can search the folder for whatever you like.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks, will be corrected and added to the bug report on page 1.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there.

Im new to the forum and new to autoit. have been playing around with for a few wekks and im starting to get the hang of it.

Im currently developing an "archiving" script for the compy I work for. It works good but i cant really get the outlook export-part to work just as i want it. Btw water your UDF is awsome! I just ned a little help.

My idee is to create a PST file and dump all the users folders in that PST file (including calender contacs and so on) and then archive this PST file on a local server.

First of all, im no programmer and i dont have that mutch knowlege of how Exchange and outlook works.

I made this simpel code:

$outlook = _OL_Open()

$array1 = _OL_FolderTree($outlook,"*")

$PST = _OL_PSTCreate($outlook,@DesktopDir & "\" & @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & "-" & @username & ".pst",@YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & "-" & @username)

For $i = 1 to UBound($array1)-1 Step 1

_OL_FolderCopy($outlook, "*\" & $array1[$i], $PST)

Next

_OL_PSTClose($outlook,$PST)

_OL_Close($outlook)

However it wasnt that simple. I figured out that if i modified $array1[$i] to remove the mailbox name, it works. But the problem then is foldercopy copies all subfolders aswell. So if i have a cople of subfilders, i will get severel folders with the same content. I olso tried stuff like: _OL_FolderCopy($outlook, "name of the mailbox\inbox", "\\name of PST\Inbox") but it doesnt work. I think it has to to with the folders beeing Items and given e specific ID or somthing. But i just cant figure it out. And the examples isnt giving me any real examples.

I just want to copy ALL the folders for the primary mailbox to an PST file. Is it duable? Thansk guys :)

Btw. Great forum!

Outlook has an Auto-Archive feature. You can specify on a per folder basic when elements of the folder should be copied/moved to a PST.

Maybe this makes archiving a bit easier?

Right-click a folder, click on Properties and then on Auto-Archiving (translated from german on the fly ,-)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

No im making an archiving script for people who are leaving our company :)

When a user quit we want to make a dump of the users mailbox (amung other things) and store them ona server for arhcing purposes. Then we can remove the mailbox and reuse the computer for another employee.

So no. Auro archiving is not want i want. Im making a program that will eleminate all the manual work that needs to be done when a person quit. i have all my elemets in place, except for a backup of the users enire mailbox. And since we lease our mailboxes (we dont have the exchangeserver in house) i need to make a PST dump from outlook.

As _OL_FolderCopy copies a folder, all subfolders and all contained items you only need to specify the root folder.

This works for me to copy the inbox to a pst. Repeat the _OL_FolderCopy for any foldertype you like.

#include <OutlookEx.au3>
#include <array.au3>
$iOL_Debug = 2
$oOutlook = _OL_Open()
ConsoleWrite("OO: " & @error & "-" & @extended & @CRLF)
$oPST = _OL_PSTCreate($oOutlook, "C:\temp" & "\" & @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & "-" & @UserName & ".pst", @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & "-" & @UserName)
ConsoleWrite("PC: " & @error & "-" & @extended & @CRLF)
#cs
Global Const $olFolderCalendar = 9 ; Calendar folder
Global Const $olFolderContacts = 10 ; The Contacts folder
Global Const $olFolderDeletedItems = 3 ; The Deleted Items folder
Global Const $olFolderDrafts = 16 ; The Drafts folder
Global Const $olFolderInbox = 6 ; The Inbox folder
Global Const $olFolderJournal = 11 ; The Journal folder
Global Const $olFolderJunk = 23 ; The Junk E-Mail folder
Global Const $olFolderNotes = 12 ; The Notes folder
Global Const $olFolderOutbox = 4 ; The Outbox folder
Global Const $olFolderSentMail = 5 ; The Sent Mail folder
Global Const $olFolderTasks = 13 ; The Tasks folder
Global Const $olFolderToDo = 28 ; The To Do folder
Global Const $olFolderRssFeeds = 25 ; The RSS Feeds folder
#ce
$aFolder = _OL_FolderAccess($oOutlook, "" , $olFolderInbox)
ConsoleWrite("FA: " & @error & "-" & @extended & @CRLF)
_OL_FolderCopy($oOutlook, $aFolder[1], $oPST)
ConsoleWrite("FC: " & @error & "-" & @extended & @CRLF)
_OL_PSTClose($oOutlook, $oPST)
_OL_Close($oOutlook)
ConsoleWrite("OC: " & @error & "-" & @extended & @CRLF)

As a result you get on the console something like:

OO: 0-1
PC: 0-0
FA: 0-0
FC: 0-0
PC: 0-0
OC: 0-0

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

This code will take all "root" folders (level 1 of the folder hierarchy) and copy it to a PST. The code writes the name of each root folder plus error codes for folder access and folder copy to the console. Later you can remove the ConsoleWrite statements but you have to replace them with some real error checking. That is: Write a MsgBox and exit the script if an error occurres.

#include <OutlookEx.au3>
#include <array.au3>
$iOL_Debug = 2
$oOutlook = _OL_Open()
ConsoleWrite("OO: " & @error & "-" & @extended & @CRLF)
$oPST = _OL_PSTCreate($oOutlook, "C:temp" & "" & @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & "-" & @UserName & ".pst", @YEAR & "-" & @MON & "-" & @MDAY & "-" & @UserName)
$aFolders = _OL_FolderTree($oOutlook, "*")
_ArrayDisplay($aFolders)
Global $sPreviousFolder = ""
Global $iRoot = StringLen($aFolders[0])
For $i = 1 To UBound($aFolders)-1
    $aTemp = StringSplit(StringMid($aFolders[$i], $iRoot+2), "")
    If $aTemp[1] <> $sPreviousFolder Then
        ConsoleWrite($aTemp[1] & @CRLF)
        $sPreviousFolder = $aTemp[1]
        $aFolder = _OL_FolderAccess($oOutlook, "*" & $aTemp[1])
        ConsoleWrite("FA: " & @error & "-" & @extended & @CRLF)
        _OL_FolderCopy($oOutlook, $aFolder[1], $oPST)
        ConsoleWrite("FC: " & @error & "-" & @extended & @CRLF)
    Endif
Next
_OL_PSTClose($oOutlook, $oPST)
_OL_Close($oOutlook)
ConsoleWrite("OC: " & @error & "-" & @extended & @CRLF)
Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

In short: It gets a list of all folders (including subfolders). In element 0 of the array we have the name of the store. This name is stripped of every folder. The remaining is then split at the separator character "". If the first element of the result changes a new "root" folder is to be processed. It is accessed and then copied to the PST.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Funny thin is that i almost wrote the same code. The diffrence was that i didnt do the folder access in the end. I tried to enter the "path" to the folder directly into _OL-Foldercopy instead of using _OL-FolderAcess [1] array. Thanx water. Now the script seems to work. I will see if i can get it to count all items and disply some sort of progress bar aswell :)

Counting items needs some work because you only can access the item count of a single folder. To get the item count for any subfolders you have to loop through the hierarchy.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki