Currency Exchange Converter

sleepydvdr

Hello, all. Yesterday, I wrote this little program that calculates exchange rates between currencies. The easiest part of all was the actual conversion (only took a minute to write). It was all the other parts of the program that proved a little challenging.

The hardest part was finding and downloading updated exchange rates. It loops through all currency combinations and downloads exchange rates for every possibility (94 currencies, so 942 or 8,836 possiblities). Google wasn't 100% reliable because it missed about 5% of the combinations. So, if it didn't return an exchange rate, I made it query Yahoo. Google is much faster than Yahoo, so it checks Google first.

Other things it does... It checks for invalid values or non-selected combo boxes. It re-formats user values (like 1,000,000 is formatted to 1000000 so it can perform math calculations). It gives the option to round so you don't end up with $15.8377490 dollars (instead, you will get $15.84). You know, it does lots of little things.

This is my first time posting an example script that I wrote. I did a quick search on the forums and didn't see anyone posting a program quite like this. But then again, I didn't really search very deep because I wanted to write this just for the learning experience. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here. I am always happy to discuss it. Hope you all enjoy!

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Download package with installer, portable version and source code:

Download

Note: updated to version 1.1, integrating part of Maffe811's suggestion to include right-click functionality on the right side menu

Edited by sleepydvdr

#include <ByteMe.au3>

Nice. Great you included a Portable Version too.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Downloaded!

I hate going online to find exchange rates!

Maybe have a settings window, where users can set their standard from value.

Edit:

Clicking a currency in the referece table sets it to "from" currency and right click sets it to "to" currency.

If you do that you can remove the drop down menus aswell.

Maybe have the ability to have favourites/most common currencies that will apear at the top of the drop down list

Edited by Maffe811

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

Also why not use something like this for parsing Googles return string >>

#include <Array.au3>

Global $aOutput =  _ParseToArray('{lhs: "100 U.S. dollars",rhs: "69.8567936 Euros",error: "",icc: true}')
_ArrayDisplay($aOutput)

Func _ParseToArray($sString)
    Local $aArray[2] = ['lhs: "', 'rhs: "'], $aReturn, $sData
    For $A = 0 To 1
        $aReturn = StringRegExp($sString, '(?s)(?i)' & $aArray[$A] & '(.*?)"', 3)
        If @error Then
            $sData = ""
        Else
            $sData = $aReturn[0]
        EndIf
        $aArray[$A] = $sData
    Next
    Return $aArray
EndFunc   ;==>_ParseToArray

Edit: Or if you want to Return just the Digits then use >>

StringRegExp($sString, '(?s)(?i)' & $aArray[$A] & '(.*?) ', 3)
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Downloaded!

I hate going online to find exchange rates!

Maybe have a settings window, where users can set their standard from value.

Edit:

Clicking a currency in the referece table sets it to "from" currency and right click sets it to "to" currency.

If you do that you can remove the drop down menus aswell.

Maybe have the ability to have favourites/most common currencies that will apear at the top of the drop down list

I like your suggestion to put the currency list on the right side to use. For now, I went ahead and added that functionality. Getting rid of the drop down boxes will take a little more work. I will think on the best way of implementing it. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you download the package now, it will be the updated version with right-click functionality.

#include <ByteMe.au3>

Also why not use something like this for parsing Googles return string >>

#include <Array.au3>

Global $aOutput =  _ParseToArray('{lhs: "100 U.S. dollars",rhs: "69.8567936 Euros",error: "",icc: true}')
_ArrayDisplay($aOutput)

Func _ParseToArray($sString)
    Local $aArray[2] = ['lhs: "', 'rhs: "'], $aReturn, $sData
    For $A = 0 To 1
        $aReturn = StringRegExp($sString, '(?s)(?i)' & $aArray[$A] & '(.*?)"', 3)
        If @error Then
            $sData = ""
        Else
            $sData = $aReturn[0]
        EndIf
        $aArray[$A] = $sData
    Next
    Return $aArray
EndFunc   ;==>_ParseToArray

Edit: Or if you want to Return just the Digits then use >>

StringRegExp($sString, '(?s)(?i)' & $aArray[$A] & '(.*?) ', 3)

I will have to study your code a little bit to understand it. I'm about to leave for work right now, so I will look at it when I get a chance.

#include <ByteMe.au3>

Maybe add a button that takes in currency to out and the other way around?

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Hobby graphics artist, using gimp.Automating pc stuff, using AutoIt.Listening to music, using Grooveshark.[/font]Scripts:[spoiler]Simple ScreenshotSaves you alot of trouble when taking a screenshot!Don't remember what happened with this, but aperantly the exe is all i got.If you don't want to run it, simply don't._IsRun UDFIt figures out if the script has ben ran before based on the info in a ini file.If you don't want to use exactly what i wrote, you can use it as inspiration.[/spoiler]

My Example is like using _StringBetween(), therefore it finds the value between lhs: " & ". Hope this Helps?!

UDF List:

Here is a modified version, almoust all code rewritted.

Currency_Exchange_Conveter.zip

Spoiler

Using OS: Win 7 Professional, Using AutoIt Ver(s): 3.3.6.1 / 3.3.8.1

AutoIt_Rus_Community.png AutoIt Russian Community

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngExamples: 
ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

==================================================
My_Userbar.gif

AutoIt is simple, subtle, elegant. © AutoIt Team

Another modification.

Added option to get the currency directly from the net, and the program now remembers the checkboxes states. And also the Data.ini file updated 30 minutes ago.

Currency_Exchange_Conveter_src.zip

Currency_Exchange_Conveter_bin.zip

Edited by MrCreatoR

Spoiler

My Work...

Spoiler

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngProjects: ATT - Application Translate Tool {new}| BlockIt - Block files & folders {new}| SIP - Selected Image Preview {new}| SISCABMAN - SciTE Abbreviations Manager {new}| AutoIt Path Switcher | AutoIt Menu for Opera! | YouTube Download Center! | Desktop Icons Restorator | Math Tasks | KeyBoard & Mouse Cleaner | CaptureIt - Capture Images Utility | CheckFileSize Program

AutoIt_Icon_small.pngUDFs: OnAutoItErrorRegister - Handle AutoIt critical errors {new}| AutoIt Syntax Highlight {new}| Opera Library! | Winamp Library | GetFolderToMenu | Custom_InputBox()! | _FileRun UDF | _CheckInput() UDF | _GUIInputSetOnlyNumbers() UDF | _FileGetValidName() UDF | _GUICtrlCreateRadioCBox UDF | _GuiCreateGrid() | _PathSplitByRegExp() | _GUICtrlListView_MoveItems - UDF | GUICtrlSetOnHover_UDF! | _ControlTab UDF! | _MouseSetOnEvent() UDF! | _ProcessListEx - UDF | GUICtrl_SetResizing - UDF! | Mod. for _IniString UDFs | _StringStripChars UDF | _ColorIsDarkShade UDF | _ColorConvertValue UDF | _GUICtrlTab_CoverBackground | CUI_App_UDF | _IncludeScripts UDF | _AutoIt3ExecuteCode | _DragList UDF | Mod. for _ListView_Progress | _ListView_SysLink | _GenerateRandomNumbers | _BlockInputEx | _IsPressedEx | OnAutoItExit Handler | _GUICtrlCreateTFLabel UDF | WinControlSetEvent UDF | Mod. for _DirGetSizeEx UDF

ScreenSaver Demo - Matrix included | Gui Drag Without pause the script | _WinAttach()! | Turn Off/On Monitor | ComboBox Handler Example | Mod. for "Thinking Box" | Cool "About" Box | TasksBar Imitation Demo

Like the Projects/UDFs/Examples? Please rate the topic (up-right corner of the post header: Rating AutoIt_Rating.gif)

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif

What about a swap button to exchange the currency's direction?

Br,

UEZ

Thats what i meant, but you said it so much better.. :huh2:

Another modification.

Added option to get the currency directly from the net, and the program now remembers the checkboxes states. And also the Data.ini file updated 30 minutes ago.

Currency_Exchange_Conveter_bin.zip

Nice rewrite. You have similar taste as me. You keep a clean interface and group together the right things.

I actually came up with a similar idea of getting updates on the fly. My idea was to not offer a checkbox, but try automatically. If no value is returned, then use the ini file. To let the user know what value was used, I was thinking of some kind of small message of what exchange rate was used (either the date of the rate or maybe an integrity indicator).

I like your use of two download indicators, but it does make cancelling much less responsive. I especially like the way you disabled the gui when downloading the updates. I didn't really know that option existed. I knew there was some way of graying out stuff, but I haven't need it so far, so I haven't looked in to it.

The other genius idea you had was the button that was simply <>. That is almost self-explanatory and the hint removes all doubts.

Nice ideas you have...

#include <ByteMe.au3>

I like your use of two download indicators, but it does make cancelling much less responsive

I don't really see how it makes the canceling less responsive, the canceling is checked by event, and the only thing that make problems with canceling is the InetRead function.

I think the best solution is to make the update in other process (with small dialog in bottom of the screen).

Or, we can (and we should) find a way to get the currencies much faster, i mean not one by one, but find a service that provides the currency rates in some kind of list, that we can extract the values from.

Spoiler

My Work...

Spoiler

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif

the best solution is to make the update in other process

Like this for example:

Func _InetReadEx($sURL)
    Local $iPID = Run(@AutoItExe & ' /AutoIt3ExecuteLine "ConsoleWrite(BinaryToString(InetRead(""' & $sURL & '"", 1)))"', '', @SW_HIDE, $STDOUT_CHILD)
    Local $sRead

While 1
        $sRead &= StdoutRead($iPID)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
    WEnd

Return $sRead
EndFunc

but that ofcourse will increase the total update time :huh2:.

Spoiler

My Work...

Spoiler

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif

I'm sure Google must have an API command in which the data is exported to XML, just like Google Weather.

UDF List:

I'm sure Google must have an API command in which the data is exported to XML, just like Google Weather.

I was too, but didn't find anything :huh2:.

Spoiler

My Work...

Spoiler

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an article about the updating issue, but i still can't find how to grab the full (and updated) currencies list...

Spoiler

My Work...

Spoiler

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif

Ok, here it is, it's my rewrited version. Now it's uses gocurrency.com to get update, much much faster.

v1.1

* Changed currencies update method. Now by default (can be changed) used gocurrency.com service to get updates, much faster than previous method.

Spoiler

My Work...

Spoiler

* === My topics === *

My_Userbar.gif

• 10 years later...