Report Help File Issues Here

guinness

Func Example() ; This doesn't fail with the default parameters of Au3Check, but it will with strict Au3Check parameters.
    $sString = ''
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Your code doesn't fail Au3Check with default parameters.

Au3Check >> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/intro/au3check.htm

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Okay, but I still think it is worth a mention that the above method of allowing variables to be declared automatically is either not recommended or that it will fail the syntax check. Maybe it states that elsewhere in the help file, but without that information, it is lacking IMO: stating only that it is a matter of personal preference.

Edit

Last statement added.

It will not fail synax check. That syntax is valid and allowed.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Is it still failing? It passed okay here. :ermm:

No, it doesn't fail with Au3Check, but look at the link above to see the 'advanced parameters.'

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I wasn't contradicting your comment(s).

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I will try to figure this out. The example given in the help file for not declaring variables is as follows:

$var1 = "create and assign"

Running Au3Check with the parameters guinness posted returns errors with the above example. I appreciate you trying to explain things to me, and I admit that I have not used Au3Check with anything other than default parameters previously, so it might make more sense to me after I have read about it. Thanks again.

Edited by czardas

Okay I have read the important parts now. I know I don't need to declare variables, unless posting in the snippets thread. I normally do declare them (lol), I just felt like experimenting a bit. :P

Edit

I've now also altered the multidimensional version to comply with the advanced params.

Edited by czardas

I wasn't contradicting your comment(s).

Of course not, but see cszardas' next post.

...is perfectly valid syntax. When AutoIt encounters that line of code it will automatically scope the variable depending on where it found it, either inside or outside a function, it will also check if variable exists and what scope it has. Upon that it will proceed with declaration and data and scope assignment.

On the other hand Au3Check does not have ability to execute the code and it uses different algorithm in order to determine the scope of the variable. Even though the algorithm is different, the result in ideal (no bug) scenario should be the same. Au3Check have ability to warn coder about non-explicitly declared variables. The warning message is "possibly not declared yet". That's not error, it's merely a warning. It warns about implicit declaration to promote good AutoIt coding practice of explicitly scoping a variable.

Edited by trancexx

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

If you want it to pass Au3Checks validation with advanced parameters, you can always code with the Opt("MustDeclareVariables", 1) option on your scripts to get into the practice of always declaring variables. Where they're declared and how you declared them is something that Au3Check will also validate with the advanced parameters.

BTW, for those not familiar with what is being discussed in regards to the advanced parameters of Au3Check the code would have to pass with this line in it

AutoIt3Wrapper_au3check_parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w 4 -w 5 -w 6

Although I've also seen it done like this.

AutoIt3Wrapper_au3check_parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3  -w 5 -w 6

where -w 4 isn't included, "local var used in global scope."

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I had to test this theory.

$iTimer = TimerInit()
For $i = 0 To 1000000
    Func1()
Next
ConsoleWrite(TimerDiff($iTimer) & @LF)

$iTimer = TimerInit()
For $i = 0 To 1000000
    Func2()
Next
ConsoleWrite(TimerDiff($iTimer) & @LF)

Func Func1()
EndFunc

Func Func2()
    Local $var1 = "create and assign"
EndFunc

Results:

That's a very significant ~ 25% increase in speed. I consider this fact alone to be enough justification for the syntax I used earlier. This was the only speed test I didn't run on the code in question, because I remembered having tested it previously. The logic in my mind was that since an array may contain up to 16000000 elements, every possible time saving method ought to be employed. Although in this case variables are only declared once: so although correct, the concept is merely of accademic interest.

Edited by czardas

You're thinking in terms of speed, while you should be thinking in terms of proper coding practice. What if you inadvertently use $var1 in the global scope in one of your scripts and included one of your functions that doesn't declare it explicitly? Now you're assigning a value to a global variable instead of the local variable you thought you were assigning it to, and you have introduced a possible bug into your script.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Fair play to you BrewmanNH. That's clearly the reason to declare variables explicitly. Of course I know all this, I just needed reminding thanks. I tend to avoid globals so much nowadays, that I overlooked that detail (but then again this was more of an optimization experiment, and not declaring variables is not how I would normally do things - although I can also see it as being potentially useful in some circumstances :)).

I still think, to avoid confusion in the future, some additional information could be included in the Help file on the pages which demonstrate how variables can be used without being declared explicitly.

Edited by czardas

I can only point you back to another thread in relation to speed of code and evil. :)

As to the help file, what you quoted is fine as far as variable declaration is concerned. You can create variables without declaring them first, you just can't use them before you declare them.

BrewmanNH I'm not in agreement with you. Anything of a contradictory nature within the help file is going to cause confusion. This depreciates the value of the help file. It is generally the case that the help file covers guidelines for good coding practice. Here it is a bit of a let down.

To be honest, I find being told to reread old threads such as the one you linked to a bit insulting. I'm trying to help you improve the help file. You can choose to listen to me or ignore me. You were the only person who came up with a valid reason as to why my code was bad (not syntax), but it took two days and a load of confused posts to get to the crux of the matter (why?) - an additional note in the help file would have prevented that.

We are talking about something very fundemental here. I was informed at least twice that my code would not pass the syntax check after I had fixed it within five minutes of initially being informed. That's just overkill. I accept when I'm wrong about something, but I don't appreciate being made to look an idiot.

Please read the post to which this is a responce. Better still: read from the beginning of the thread.

Edited by czardas

_GUICtrlDTP_SetFormat

"H" - The one or twodigit

two digit

_GUICtrlDTP_GetSystemTime, _GUICtrlDTP_GetSystemTimeEx

@Error

_ExcelBookAttach, etc.

@ERROR

Posted Image

_IEFormElementGetCollection, etc.

@EXTENDED, @Extended

_GUICtrlListBox_GetSelCount

; Show the item selection state

_GUICtrlListBox_GetSelItemsText

; Get indexes of selected items

Text

_GUICtrlDTP_GetMonthCal

Gets the handle only when the drop-down MonthCal

_GUICtrlDTP_GetSystemTime, _GUICtrlDTP_SetSystemTime, _GUICtrlDTP_GetSystemTimeEx, _GUICtrlDTP_SetSystemTimeEx

Current date

Current time

Selected date

Selected time

Edited by AZJIO

I think you have already made up your minds about this, but I'm going to offer my suggestion anyway.

Current Version:

You can also assign a variable without declaring it first, but many prefer explicit declarations.

Suggestion:

You can also assign a variable without declaring it first, but explicit declaration is good practice and generally recommended.

Although they sound quite similar, these two sentences have two different meanings. The first gives the false impression that it is not particularly important. The second states that it is important (without contradicting the original statement). If it were merely a matter of personal preference, then much of what has been said here would be of no significance - this is clearly misleading.

Edit

I apologize for getting wound up eartlier and I hope you at least consider my suggestion for the sake of those who find this confusing.

Edited by czardas

_GUICtrlDTP_SetFormat

"H" - The one or twodigit

two digit

_GUICtrlDTP_GetSystemTime, _GUICtrlDTP_GetSystemTimeEx

@Error

_ExcelBookAttach, etc.

@ERROR

Posted Image

_IEFormElementGetCollection, etc.

@EXTENDED, @Extended

_GUICtrlListBox_GetSelCount

; Show the item selection state

_GUICtrlListBox_GetSelItemsText

; Get indexes of selected items

Text

_GUICtrlDTP_GetMonthCal

Gets the handle only when the drop-down MonthCal

_GUICtrlDTP_GetSystemTime, _GUICtrlDTP_SetSystemTime, _GUICtrlDTP_GetSystemTimeEx, _GUICtrlDTP_SetSystemTimeEx

Current date

Current time

Selected date

Selected time

Done. As previously mentioned the macros @error & @extended were renamed correctly already. But thanks for reporting.

UDF List:

AZJIO,

I personally think it would save you time if you were to edit the source files and send to me via PM. Because now it is double the work.

For example I still haven't done these (been busy:)

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

DllCallAddress: (No results found for 'dllcalladdress'.)

Warning: ... Before using this function make sure DllCall() doesn't do what you need.

???

Re-worded.

UDF List: