Global $linecount = 1
Global $aRecords ;Counts the number of lines in array
Dim $Split[14] ;sets aside memory for all 14 seperate columnsin data.txt

Start() ; Declares teh Start Function

$file = "Data.txt" ; cc member data list
_FileReadToArray($file, $aRecords) ; puts the contents of $file into an array

Func Start()
While 1
    $line = $aRecords[$linecount] ; Sets $line to the line of the record the script wants to use

In the last line above I am getting an error during compiling:

Subscript used with non-Array variable.:

$line = $aRecords[$linecount]

$line = $aRecords^ ERROR

What the hell is the problem?

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

I'd say RTFM :oops: but I like to solve things.

The problem was wrong code...

READ this and FIND differences with your code, then learn more about them from manual (yes, F1 in SciTE). I also recommend typing in google:

site:autoitscript.com <your question>
- it helped me many times

Here's fixed version:

#include <file.au3>
#include <IE.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
Global $Paused
Global $linecount = 1
Start() ; Declares teh Start Function
Func Start()
While 1
Local $file = "Data.txt" ; cc member data list
    Local $CountLines = _FileCountLines("Data.txt")
Local $aRecords[$CountLines]
_FileReadToArray($file, $aRecords) ; puts the contents of $file into an array
MsgBox(0,"Title",$aRecords[1]) ; reads the 1st line of $file
WEnd
EndFunc

[indent=3][/indent]

computergroove, VixinG, There are a couple of previous posts that sized an array meant to hold a file by running _filecountlines. Consider the following alternative (simpler and less overhead)

; ; ; ; generate test file Local $data_block = 'this is the first line of text' & @CRLF & 'this is the second line of text' & @CRLF & _ 'this is the third line of text' & @CRLF & 'this is the fourth line of text' Local $hfl = FileOpen("c:tmpdata.txt",2) ; open file in write mode If $hfl = -1 Then MsgBox(0,'File open error','') ; if error then barf FileWrite($hfl,$data_block) ; write 4 lines of text to the file FileClose($hfl) ; close the file handle ; read test file to array and display 1ST line ; This is all you need to create an array from a file ; Note - nesting the fileread prohibits you from checking for fileread errors. Local $array = StringSplit(FileRead("c:tmpdata.txt"),@crlf,1) ; read the file into an array MsgBox(0,'My file contains ' & $array[0] & ' lines','line 1 = ' & $array[1]) ; issue a goofy message
Good Luck, kylomas

Edit: re-post - the editor made garbage of the post when trying to correct a parameter.

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

VixinG,

You don't really need _FileCountLines as _FileReadToArray returns the line count in $aArray[0] (0th index) and there is no need for a While loop in your example, because it keeps repeating the operation over and over again. Also declaring variables in loops can reduce performance, so always declare Local or Global variables outside of loops.

With _FileReadToArray you don't have to declare the size of the Array, it does it for you.

computergroove,

Since your snippet was truncated, I have no idea what you were doing, so here is my interpretation. Also the example in the Help would have showed you how to correctly enumerate through an Array returned by _FileReadToArray.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <File.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $aArray ; Try not to use Dim, either Global or Local. In this case the scope is Local.
    Local $sFilePath = @ScriptDir & "Data.txt"
    _FileReadToArray($sFilePath, $aArray)
    If Not @error Then ; Check if there wasn't an error reading the file.
        For $i = 1 To $aArray[0]
            ConsoleWrite($aArray[$i] & @CRLF)
        Next
        MsgBox(4096, "", "Number of lines: " & $aArray[0])
    EndIf
EndFunc   ;==>Example

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

computergroove, VixinG,

There are a couple of previous posts that sized an array meant to hold a file by running _filecountlines. Consider the following alternative (simpler and less overhead)

; generate test file

Local $data_block = 'this is the first line of text' & @CRLF & 'this is the second line of text' & @CRLF & _
                    'this is the third line of text' & @CRLF & 'this is the fourth line of text'

Local $hfl = FileOpen("c:tmpdata.txt",2)                                        ; open file in write mode
If $hfl = -1 Then MsgBox(0,'File open error','')                                ; if error then barf
FileWrite($hfl,$data_block)                                                     ; write 4 lines of text to the file
FileClose($hfl)                                                                 ; close the file handle

; read test file to array and display 1ST line

; This is all you need to create an array from a file
; Note - nesting the fileread prohibits you from checking for fileread errors.

Local $array = StringSplit(FileRead("c:tmpdata.txt"),@crlf,1)                   ; read the file into an array
MsgBox(0,'My file contains ' & $array[0] & ' lines','line 1 = ' & $array[1])    ; issue a goofy message

Good Luck,

kylomas

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

kylomas,

A quick thought you display a MsgBox stating there was an error with FileOpen but still continue to write to it. Also if the file is using linefeed (@LF) or carriage return (@CR) instead of @CRLF then your snippet will fail.

#include <Array.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $sData_LF = 'this is the first line of text' & @LF & 'this is the second line of text' & @LF & _
            'this is the third line of text' & @LF & 'this is the fourth line of text'
    Local $aArray = StringSplit($sData_LF, @CRLF, 1)
    _ArrayDisplay($aArray)

Local $sData_CRLF = 'this is the first line of text' & @CRLF & 'this is the second line of text' & @CRLF & _
    $aArray = StringSplit($sData_CRLF, @CRLF, 1)
    _ArrayDisplay($aArray)

Local $sData_CR = 'this is the first line of text' & @CR & 'this is the second line of text' & @CR & _
            'this is the third line of text' & @CR & 'this is the fourth line of text'
    $aArray = StringSplit($sData_CR, @CRLF, 1)
    _ArrayDisplay($aArray)
EndFunc   ;==>Example
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

@guiness,

Yes, all of this is true. I will plead that it is 2AM and I'm going to bed...apologies to the origional poster!

By the way, how can you edit a post without the formatting getting all fucked up? (this happens intermittently)

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill

What browser are you using? If the answer is Opera then select the button in the top left hand corner labelled 'Toggle editing mode' to the basic view and add the autoit tags (or before you toggle the view by selecting the AutoIt button as it's ghosted out) and then paste in between the tags. It might be cumbersome but it means I don't have to switch to Firefox everytime I want to post code.

UDF List:

The same advice might apply, no idea I haven't used IE9.

UDF List:

computergroove,

Code corrected to reflect guinness's observations.

#include <file.au3>

; generate test file

Local $data_block = 'this is the first line of text' & @CRLF & 'this is the second line of text' & @CRLF & _

Local $hfl = FileOpen("c:tmpdata.txt",2)                                        ; open file in write mode
If $hfl = -1 Then
    MsgBox(0,'File open error','')                                              ; if error then barf
    Exit
endif
FileWrite($hfl,$data_block)                                                     ; write 4 lines of text to the file
FileClose($hfl)                                                                 ; close the file handle

; read test file to array and display 1ST line
; This is all you need to create an array from a file

Local $array
_filereadtoarray("c:tmpdata.txt", $array)                                       ; read the file into an array
MsgBox(0,'My file contains ' & $array[0] & ' lines','line 1 = ' & $array[1])    ; issue a goofy message

kylomas

- Sir Winston Churchill

guinness, kylomas,

You are both right. I am new user and I wrongly think that everything what works (written by me) is good. Thanks for the tips, and I will try to code better. Also I was writing that message late at night (4:36 AM) :oops:

[indent=3][/indent]

guinness, kylomas,

You are both right. I am new user and I wrongly think that everything what works (written by me) is good. Thanks for the tips, and I will try to code better. Also I was writing that message late at night (4:36 AM) :oops:

No problem, I make mistakes all the time, but it's how we learn.

UDF List:

Thank you for all your responses. The script worked past the last line above until I added the line 'Func Main()'. After that I received this error and I think the data is valid. Here's what I want to accomplish:

I have a list of auto generated user names and email addresses in cc member data.txt. There are 14 pieces of data in each line and I have 118 lines, ie name, mailing address, email address etc. I want to change the proxy address and restart internet explorer. If the proxy is down I need a error log of the records that did not go through. The problem is that I cant get ie to stop the script, write the record to an ini file and then change to the next record and restart the loop. I am using arrays to get the data.

Get Scite to add a popup when you use a 3rd party UDF -> http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/scite/docs/SciTE4AutoIt3/user-calltip-manager.html

Please post your code, what you posted in the first post is incomplete and doesn't tell us what you're trying to do.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator