_AlwaysRun() - Monitor a program and restart if it closed.

guinness

When you execute the function with the VBS it returns True and not the PID. And in the exe, it recreats again the vbs and run a lot of times the script since to crash the computer (CPU @ 100%).

It returns True because the function uses ShellExecute and not Run. I will also look at the issue you're having. Thanks for reporting.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I'm going to deprecate the VBScript version for now because it does actually need the PID of the cmd executable. I might have to use WinAPIEx to find the associated application with vbs, which is wscript and then pass as a command. Use the batch for now as it works.

Unless you can give me a valid reason as to why it must be VBScript?

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

That's one idea. I will have a play around with it to see it's reliability. I take it you've tested it and it solved the crashing?

UDF List:

OK. Thanks for trying. I will look at this "issue" at a later date.

UDF List:

• 4 months later...

Actually it works only with beta, right?

No it works with both the beta and stable version. Where did you get that idea from?

UDF List:

• 1 year later...

Indeed someone asked before, so im redundant

MrCreatoR, on 24 Dec 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

Nice, but why use bat or vbs, this can be done with autoit as well:

but i dont see the answer. Anyway doesnt mind; forget it, never mind. 

Edited by zalomalo

My english shucks, i know it.

Good catch with the header, that was because I took the batch script version and forgot to ammend it. The backslash is the Forum!

I like your idea (no need for #include-once) and I suppose I adopted the batch script/VBScript as I took this from other examples I created in the series, it also means the executable isn't locked either.

UDF List:

• 1 year later...

guinness, thank you sir for this wonderful script.  I found some problems:

1.   The tasklist return value, the exe name is cut by 25 characters in length.  So if your exe name is greater than 25 characters then nothing is returned.  If nothing is returned then exe gets ran over and over.
  2.   When you close out the exe another cmd.exe gets ran thus making multiple processes and wasting resources.
  3.   This one is not a 'huge' problem, but its wasteful.  Multiple .bat files get generated and left residing in the temp folder.  Again not a big deal but bad practice.

Here is my modification that solves said problems:

Func _AlwaysRun($sFilePath = @ScriptFullPath, $sCommandline = '')
    If $sFilePath = @ScriptFullPath And @Compiled = 0 Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    Local Const $STR_NOCASESENSEBASIC = 2
    Local Const $sAppName = StringTrimLeft($sFilePath, StringInStr($sFilePath, '\', $STR_NOCASESENSEBASIC, -1))
    Local Const $sBatFile = @TempDir & '\' & StringReplace(@ScriptName, StringTrimLeft(@ScriptName, StringInStr(@ScriptName, '.', $STR_NOCASESENSEBASIC, -1) - 1), '') & '.bat'
    If $sCommandline Then
        $sCommandline = ' ' & $sCommandline
    EndIf
    Local Const $sData = ':START' & @CRLF _
             & 'PING -n 2 127.0.0.1 > nul' & @CRLF _
             & @CRLF _
             & 'TASKLIST /NH /FI "IMAGENAME EQ ' & $sAppName & '" | FIND /I /C "' & StringLeft($sAppName, 25) & '" >0 && GOTO START' & @CRLF _
             & 'GOTO END' & @CRLF _
             & ':END' & @CRLF _
             & 'START "_AlwaysRun" "' & $sFilePath & '"' & $sCommandline & @CRLF _
             & 'DEL "' & $sBatFile & '"' & @CRLF _
             & 'GOTO START' & @CRLF

Local Const $hFileOpen = FileOpen($sBatFile, $FO_OVERWRITE)
    If $hFileOpen = -1 Then
        Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
    EndIf
    FileWrite($hFileOpen, $sData)
    FileClose($hFileOpen)
    Return Run($sBatFile, @TempDir, @SW_HIDE)
EndFunc   ;==>_AlwaysRun

Added a default parameter to $sFilePath so you can call your function like this:  _AlwaysRun() or _AlwaysRun(Default,'some command') to easily refer to the current executable.

Added /C in FIND because I'm pretty sure its quicker/less CPU intensive for FIND to return count rather than the entire string.  It would be nice to come up with a solution that takes less cpu while not changing the check interval.  What you have is pretty damn good.

Only possible downside I see with this modification is when you close out the exe, the cmd.exe also closes and reopens.  The user may put two and two together and say 'oh look.. the cmd.exe ended as soon as the exe closed.. I'll try to close that first'.  This may not even be a concern.

A slight con with my solution, if cmd.exe gets killed, the bat file will probably remain in temp.  One remaining bat file in the temp not ideal... hrmmm.. at the same time not a huge deal... but still... 

Edited by TouchOdeath

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've not been able to use the function for a compiled script monitoring a shared folder

I was trying to keep running a compiled script in a remote desktop as explained here:

Note: re-thinking about this, i'm not sure is a good idea to keep running against the rules of the administrator, looking for other alternatives, thanks any case

Edited by robertocm