Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jfish

ADO Excel read/write with open connection and excel obj?

3 posts in this topic

All: I am a COM newbie and don't have a detailed knowledge of ADO. However, I was recently able to create a connection to an Excel spreadsheet and perform queries. I was blown away by the power of this. Then I wanted to write records using the CopyFromRecordset method as in: $oSheet.Cells(1,1).CopyFromRecordset($objRecordSet).

The problem is that I think I have to either: (i) write the recordset to another object or (ii) close my connection before opening the Excel object that was the ADO datasource (which purges the recordset on close). I am wondering:

1.) if my understanding of this is correct, and

2.) if so, are there are any workarounds that folks use to write the data back with this method? I have tried the SQL to insert the records but I have a column that contains a string called "TRUE" and the ADO converts this to -1 for some reason with a global insert command ... but it is "TRUE" when the copyrecord set is used to write to a separate spreadsheet.

3.) If my assumptions are not correct, what am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Build your own poker game with AutoIt: pokerlogic.au3 | Learn To Program Using FREE Tools with AutoIt

Hi.

Solved this problem?

The wiki has an ADO tutorial now which might help you.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki