delete multiple files by extension (solved)

luis713

Hi, i'm new on autoit forums, i'm trying to delete multiple files by extension, so the question is ¿How can i delete multiple files by extension using an input and " ; " to write different extension?

thanks in advance

Edited by luis713

What did you find when you searched for this (as you're not the first person to ask this question)?

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

i was looking for in the forum but i didn't find anything, it shouldn't be difficult but i don't know how

Hmm...here is a clue _FileListToArray.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

thanks for replying but i was looking on it and I didn't find how do it, could you help me please? I want to delete all the files found with an specific extension and if it is possible write 2 or more extensions on the same input using ";" to separate extension, here is my little code

#include 

GUICreate("", 200, 120)

$input = GUICtrlCreateInput("Extensions to delete", 10, 60, 180, 20)

$DeleteFiles = GUICtrlCreateButton("Delete Files", 30, 90, 100, 20)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1

$msg = GUIGetMsg()

Select

Case $msg = $GUI_event_Close

Exit

Case $msg = $DeleteFiles

FileDelete($extensions)

EndSelect

WEnd

• Moderators

Hi, luis713. I assume you're looking to do this in a specific directory? If so, you should be able to do something simple like this:

$path = @DesktopDir & "Test"
 FileDelete($path & "*.exe")

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

• Moderators

luis713,

You cannot do that in one line. You could put the extensions you are looking for into an array and then loop through the array deleting each separate extension in turn. Or my RecFileListToArray UDF will get you an array of files with multiple extensions within a folder - you can then loop through the array and delete them one by one. ;)

Either way is valid - you just need to choose the one you want to use. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

luis713,

You cannot do that in one line. You could put the extensions you are looking for into an array and then loop through the array deleting each separate extension in turn. Or my RecFileListToArray UDF will get you an array of files with multiple extensions within a folder - you can then loop through the array and delete them one by one. ;)

Either way is valid - you just need to choose the one you want to use. :)

M23

thanks Melba23, could you write a little example? where can I find your UDF?

• Moderators

luis713,

could you write a little example?

Nice try, but there are examples of how to use the UDF in the first post of the UDF thread - you can find it using the link in my sig below (which also answers your second question). You might also find the Arrays tutorial in the Wiki useful reading if you are unused to working with them. :)

Now you go and see what you can code for yourself using the information you have been given - you know where we are if you run into difficulties. You will get lots of help if you try to do something yourself first - even if it does not work - but we want you to learn a bit as you go along and just giving you the answer will not help you do that. ;)

So see you soon with a script I hope. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

luis713,

Nice try, but there are examples of how to use the UDF in the first post of the UDF thread - you can find it using the link in my sig below (which also answers your second question). You might also find the Arrays tutorial in the Wiki useful reading if you are unused to working with them. :)

Now you go and see what you can code for yourself using the information you have been given - you know where we are if you run into difficulties. You will get lots of help if you try to do something yourself first - even if it does not work - but we want you to learn a bit as you go along and just giving you the answer will not help you do that. ;)

So see you soon with a script I hope. :)

M23

Thanks for you UDF, sorry but i'm new programming, i think i should save the results returned by _RecFileListToArray and then use filedelete, but it doesn't work, could you help me please? I'm new and I can't do it, I want to learn and I try to understand all the sintax that I read but with this I can't.

thanks in advance. here is the code but it doesn't work

#include 

#include "RecFileListToArray.au3"

Global $sAutoItDir = StringReplace(StringReplace(@AutoItExe, "AutoIt3.exe", ""), "beta", "")

ConsoleWrite($sAutoItDir & @CRLF)

; And here are the .exe files we left out last time

$aArray = _RecFileListToArray($sAutoItDir, "*.exe;*.mp3", 1, 1, 0, 2)

_ArrayDisplay($aArray, "My gui")

FileDelete($aArray)

• Moderators

Hi, luis713. In order to delete the files you need to loop through the array. Try something like this:

For $element in $aArray
  FileDelete($element)
Next

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

I can't, could somebody write an example and a little explanation?

Pretty sure that's what JLogan just did.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

• Moderators

I can't, could somebody write an example and a little explanation?

er.. replace

FileDelete($aArray)

with

For $element in $aArray
FileDelete($element)
Next
Edited by JLogan3o13

• Moderators

luis713,

Please stop asking us to write the code for you. We have explained several times how you can do what you want - yet all you have produced is a small piece of code ripped from an example script you found in my UDF. It is obvious that you have no understanding at all of what that code is doing and how to adapt it to do what you want - which is just as well as had it worked you would have deleted a good part of your AutoIt installation! :o

I suggest you go and read the excellent tutorials that you will find here and here so that you begin to understand what you are doing when you code. I suggest you also read that tutorial on Arrays to which I linked earlier - as you show no sign of having done so yet. At your current level of understanding you are very likely to do something drastic to your setup - like deleting your Windows folder - whiel playing about and then you will be in deep trouble. :(

Once you have a basic idea of how AutoIt works and what you are doing then come back and we will start again. :)

M23

Spoiler

thanks to everybody, I could write a code and worked for me, here is the code if somebody can improve it.

Here is the code

#include 

GUICreate("", 200, 120)

Global $input = GUICtrlCreateInput("Extensions to delete", 10, 60, 180, 20)

$DeleteFiles = GUICtrlCreateButton("Delete Files", 30, 90, 100, 20)

GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1

$msg = GUIGetMsg()

Select

Case $msg = $GUI_event_Close

Exit

Case $msg = $DeleteFiles

Local $i

$data = GUICtrlRead($Input)

; The string in data will be split into an array everywhere | is encountered

Local $arr = StringSplit($data, ";")

If IsArray($arr) Then

For $i = 1 to $arr[0]

Filedelete("C:test" & $arr[$i])

Next

EndIf

EndSelect

WEnd

• Moderators

luis713,

Well done! :thumbsup:

M23

Spoiler