Sign in to follow this  
nf67

Reformatting a string not to contain any line breaks?

nf67

Evening,

I've been copying a lot of text from PDF files and other documents. Problem is, this text appears badly mangled when pasted again, causing formatting issues. I've been trying to write a script that would automatically reformat the copied string:

#include 
#include 

#NoTrayIcon
Opt("TrayMenuMode", 1)
$AboutTrayItem = TrayCreateItem("About")
TrayCreateItem("")
$ExitTrayItem = TrayCreateItem("Exit")
TraySetState()

$hDLL = DllOpen("user32.dll")

Beep(1100,300)

While 1
While _IsPressed("11",$hDLL)
If _IsPressed("43",$hDLL) Then
ClipPut(StringStripWS(StringReplace(StringReplace(_ClipBoard_GetData(),@lf," "),@cr," "),4))
Beep(1300,150)
While _IsPressed("43",$hDLL)
Sleep(250)
WEnd
EndIf
WEnd

Local $msg = TrayGetMsg()
Select
Case $msg = $AboutTrayItem
MsgBox(64, "About", "When CTRL+C is pressed, a reformatted version of the string that has thereby been copied, without any newline characters, should be placed on the clipboard.")
Case $msg = $ExitTrayItem
ExitLoop
EndSelect
WEnd

DllClose($hDLL)
Beep(600,300)

So far, it's working for some of my sources. Others, like this two-column book, I still can't nicely copy from.

How do I get out all line breaks, newlines, carriage returns etc. out of a string?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by nf67

dany

Do you just want to remove everything or do you want to replace it with something uniform? Either way, you can do this with StringRegExpReplace:

$sString = StringRegExpReplace($sString, '[rnt]+', ' ') ; Replace line feed, carriage return or tab with a space.

[center]Spiderskank Spiderskank[/center]GetOpt Parse command line options UDF | AU3Text Program internationalization UDF | Identicon visual hash UDF

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• Jemboy
      By Jemboy
      Yesterday I had to make some little changes to an old Autoit program we use at my work.
      The program reads some data and convert it to Excel.
      Before writing the cell, it is changed to text and later on I slap the column with an autofitwidth.
      Furthermore weI execute a conditional format on the sheet, to make the data more readable.
      I quickly found out that because of the breaking changes Excel.udf had starting from AutoIt 3.3.12.0,
      a lot of things had to been changed.
      The changes I had to do, only took 10 minutes.
      After trying to adjust the script for over 5 hours, to get it working with the new Excel.udf, I gave up.
      I stopped changing the script, uninstalled the my Autoit and went looking for an older version.
      Luckilly I was able to find Autoit v3.3.8.1 (with corresponding Scite) in my software repository.
      Installing Autoit V3.3.8.1 and compiling the file, now took me  10 minutes .

So why did I not get the old script working with the new Excel.udf?
      There are several reasons I failed getting the old script working with the new Excel UDF.
       I had some pressure from management to fix it ASAP (and got a little anxious)  Most all resources on the internet point to the working of the old EXcel.UDF And offcourse there were thosing "breaking changes",
      with new functions using diffrent parameters or using parameters in different order. One of the column's on the sheet is used to store EAN13 (barcode) and was formatted like 1,23E12.
      I couldn't change the cell to text, also autofitwidt was not working and using conditional formatting was also a no-no.
      So in the end I could use the new Excel UDF, but not desapointed management.

What would I like to ask?
      I understand that sometimes you want to rewrite a program to make it better. I even understand that one has to make breaking changes sometimes.
      But in this case because of lacking examples/resources my day went completely down the drain.
      I would like to ask the Excel.udf developpers to:
      Make more functions available to do things like changing cell properties easily, changing cell color, do an autofit columnwidth, format data conditionally. 
        Or write an Example using the (new) Excel UDF, making examples how to format a cell, do conditional format, changing cell colors etc.
        I probably am more of an example guy.
      Having a good Excel.UDF Example showing a lot of common things normally makes, programming things easy for me.
      Because I can keep tweaking snippets until I get it working the way I want it.

So dear developpers, could you help me and other future user out?

• liagason
      By liagason
      Hello everyone,
      How can I display in ascending  sequence some numbers stored in a string variable?
      $str = "18,03,48,23" MsgBox(0,"test",$str) I would like it to display "03,18,23,48"
    • Rskm
      By Rskm
      Hi, I have the following line in a text file 'input.txt'. I know the line number - say '6'. I wish to replace the text 'WWW' in the below line with a random number (I can generate that with random()).
      WERIS  WWWJP   3.83  8.330  1.000                1097.RAXX 
      The WWW is a 3 digit integer (could be any number between 0 to 999), I can use stringtrimleft and get the numerical value of WWW in this file
      so, basically, I know the string to replace (ie; WWW stored in a variable), I know the line number to work on and the file location/name and the replacement variable (through random()). My requirement is to fill that 3 spaces with my random number (which Is a integer between 1 and 999)
      please put ur suggestions

• nacerbaaziz
      By nacerbaaziz
      Hello Members of this best Forum
      i have a question please
      for example if i have a long string
      and i want to extract a text between two tag
      what i can do to make that?
      note :
      i know that there is a
      StringRegExp function
      it's do that work
      but it result is be as an array
      i want the result to be a string
      is there any function on autoit can do that?
      Thanks in advance.
    • mistersquirrle
      By mistersquirrle
      Hello!

I wrote myself a script to follow Google Maps Polyline encoding steps: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/utilities/polylinealgorithm, and that works (although I think that it's a bit janky), but now I'm having issues getting the output.

When I run the script, all the points come out correctly in the console, and even when they're the only things that I log, it displays them fine. However, I'm adding each point into a variable to return all of them at once at the end, fully formatted, and it's only taking the very first point. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, as it seems fine.

When run with the default value, it should output this at the end: Custom Polygon: _p~iF~ps|U_ulLnnqC_mqNvxq`@
      But instead I'm just getting this: Custom Polygon: _p~iF

I know that it's reaching the string combination lines because it's logging the data before it (and even if a put log AFTER the $sPolygon &= $aPoints[0], it's logged fine).

Here's my full code (problem is lines ~209 - 234, search "$sPolygon &= $aPoints[1]"):
      #include <Array.au3> #include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <EditConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> _PolyGUI() Func _PolyGUI() #Region ### START Koda GUI section ### Form= $hInputGUI = GUICreate("Lat Long encoder", 403, 301, 192, 124) GUISetFont(8, 400, 0, "Consolas") GUICtrlCreateLabel("Input polygon points here, format as:", 8, 8, 263, 19) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 800, 0, "Consolas") GUICtrlCreateLabel("Lat Long - Single point", 8, 24, 142, 17) GUICtrlCreateLabel("Lat Long, Lat Long, Lat Long - Multiple points", 8, 40, 280, 17) Local $sPoints = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 8, 64, 385, 201, BitOR($ES_WANTRETURN, $WS_VSCROLL)) GUICtrlSetData(-1, "38.5 -120.2, 40.7 -120.95, 43.252 -126.453") GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, 400, 0, "Consolas") $bOK = GUICtrlCreateButton("bOK", 16, 272, 123, 25) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 800, 0, "Consolas") $bCancel = GUICtrlCreateButton("bCancel", 304, 272, 75, 25) GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 12, 800, 0, "Consolas") GUISetState(@SW_SHOW, $hInputGUI) #EndRegion ### END Koda GUI section ### While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit Case $bCancel Exit Case $bOK $sPoints = GUICtrlRead($sPoints) GUISetState(@SW_HIDE, $hInputGUI) _GetPoly($sPoints, True) ExitLoop EndSwitch Sleep(10) WEnd EndFunc ;==>_PolyGUI ;https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/utilities/polylinealgorithm ;https://app.dsmobileidx.com/api/DescribeSearchForLinkId?linkId=469787 ; Note that this will only really work inside the US (this side of the World), as it's assuming any negative is the Longitude ;https://gist.github.com/ismaels/6636986 - decoder ;Using: 41.83162 -87.64696 ; Expected: sfi~F np}uO ; Actual: sfi~f np}uo ; If we remove 32 from the last ASCII code, since the last bit chunk is 0, we get the correct case/ characters ; We need to run this logic back through all the indexes though and do this to all that that <= 63 ;LinkId=469787 ; Expected: q{`aHpa_iVi[kp@}`Aa{@e[eCoqBbAyc@iRy{@g_@mz@|gA{eAh~@Vf~Etv@gB~p@gQ`^yg@~p@ekAldA{KfFxIrJ^pO~Mtl@dPrJnUz[nSpo@wf@fc@yw@n@ob@ ; Actual: s{`aHpa_iVg[kp@}`Aa{@g[gCmqBbA{c@iRy{@e_@kz@|gA{eAh~@Td~Evv@gB|p@gQb^wg@|p@ekAndA{KfFvIpJ`@rO~Mrl@dPrJnU|[lSpo@wf@dc@yw@n@mb@ ; I assume that this is because of bad data, the points have repeating 9's and 0's, which looks fishy. The polygon is (very) close, but not quite the same. Func _GetPoly($sPoints, $bLog = False) Local $timer = TimerInit(), $sConsole[11] Local $sPolygon = "" ; Step 1, take the initial signed value: Local $aCoords = StringRegExp($sPoints, "(-*?\d*\.\d*) (-*?\d*\.\d*)", 3), $aPoints[2] ;~ _ArrayDisplay($aCoords) If $bLog Then _Log(_ArrayToString($aCoords)) For $c = 0 To (UBound($aCoords) - 1) Step 2 ;~ If $bLog Then _Log($c) If $c = 0 Then $aPoints[0] = $aCoords[$c] $aPoints[1] = $aCoords[$c + 1] Else $aPoints[0] = $aCoords[$c] - $aCoords[$c - 2] $aPoints[1] = $aCoords[$c + 1] - $aCoords[$c - 1] EndIf If $bLog Then _Log("- Step 1, take the initial signed value:") _Log(" " & $aPoints[0]) _Log(" " & $aPoints[1]) EndIf ; Step 2, multiply each by 1e5, and round $aPoints[0] = Round($aPoints[0] * 1e5, 0) $aPoints[1] = Round($aPoints[1] * 1e5, 0) If $bLog Then _Log("- Step 2, multiply each by 1e5, and round") _Log(" " & $aPoints[0]) _Log(" " & $aPoints[1]) EndIf ; Step 3, convert Decimal to Binary, using two's complement for negatives. Padded to 32 bits $aPoints[0] = _NumberToBinary($aPoints[0]) $aPoints[1] = _NumberToBinary($aPoints[1]) If $bLog Then _Log("- Step 3, convert Decimal to Binary, using two's complement for negatives. Padded to 32 bits") _Log(" " & $aPoints[0]) _Log(" " & $aPoints[1]) EndIf ; Step 4, left-shifted 1 bit $aPoints[0] = StringTrimLeft($aPoints[0], 1) & "0" $aPoints[1] = StringTrimLeft($aPoints[1], 1) & "0" If $bLog Then _Log("- Step 4, left-shifted 1 bit") _Log(" " & $aPoints[0]) _Log(" " & $aPoints[1]) EndIf ; Step 5, if negative, invert binary If $c = 0 Then If $aCoords[$c] < 0 Then $aPoints[0] = _InvertBinary($aPoints[0]) If $aCoords[$c + 1] < 0 Then $aPoints[1] = _InvertBinary($aPoints[1]) Else If $aCoords[$c] - $aCoords[$c - 2] < 0 Then $aPoints[0] = _InvertBinary($aPoints[0]) If $aCoords[$c + 1] - $aCoords[$c - 1] < 0 Then $aPoints[1] = _InvertBinary($aPoints[1]) EndIf If $bLog Then _Log("- Step 5, if negative, invert binary") _Log(" " & $aPoints[0]) _Log(" " & $aPoints[1]) EndIf Local $aChunks[2][6], $0x20 For $i = 0 To 1 $0x20 = "1" ; This is out BitOR flag, 0x20 BitOR'd onto our 5-bit chunks is always 1*****, except the last chunk $sConsole[5] = "" ; Clearing console variables $sConsole[6] = "" $sConsole[7] = "" $sConsole[8] = "" $sConsole[9] = "" For $j = 0 To 5 ;There will always be 6 chunks ; Step 6 & 7, break into 5-bit chunks, and reverse order $aChunks[$i][$j] = StringTrimLeft($aPoints[$i], StringLen($aPoints[$i]) - 5) ; This splits into 5-bit chunks in reverse order, doing 6 & 7 in one operation ;~ If $bLog Then _Log(" " & $aPoints[$i]) ;~ If $bLog Then _Log(" " & StringLen($aPoints[$i])) ;~ If $bLog Then _Log(" " & StringTrimLeft($aPoints[$i], StringLen($aPoints[$i]) - 5)) ;~ If $bLog Then _Log(" " & $aChunks[$i][$j]) ; Here we consume the original binary string, so the next loop gets the correct next 5-bit chunk $aPoints[$i] = StringTrimRight($aPoints[$i], 5) $sConsole[5] &= $aChunks[$i][$j] & " " ; Once consumed, if the remaining length isn't enough for another bit chunk, switch 0x20 to 0 (no following chunks) If StringLen($aPoints[$i]) <= 5 Then $0x20 = "0" ; Step 8, BitOR 100000 (0x20) to our 5-bit chunks (effectively) $aChunks[$i][$j] = $0x20 & $aChunks[$i][$j] $sConsole[7] &= $aChunks[$i][$j] & " " ; Step 9, converting the chunk from Binary back to Decimal $aChunks[$i][$j] = _BinaryToDec($aChunks[$i][$j]) $sConsole[8] &= $aChunks[$i][$j] & " " ; Step 10, adding 63 to decimal values $aChunks[$i][$j] += 63 $sConsole[9] &= $aChunks[$i][$j] & " " If StringLen($aPoints[$i]) < 5 Then ExitLoop Next If $bLog Then _Log("- Step 6 & 7 (part " & $i & "), break into 5-bit chunks, and reverse order") _Log(" " & $sConsole[5]) _Log("- Step 8 (part " & $i & "), BitOR 100000 (0x20) to our 5-bit chunks (effectively)") _Log(" " & $sConsole[7]) _Log("- Step 9 (part " & $i & "), converting the chunk from Binary back to Decimal") _Log(" " & $sConsole[8]) _Log("- Step 10 (part " & $i & "), adding 63 to decimal values") _Log(" " & $sConsole[9]) EndIf Next Local $aASCII[0] For $i = 0 To 1 Dim $aASCII[0] ; Reset ASCII array For $j = 0 To (UBound($aChunks, 2) - 1) ; For both chunk sets ReDim $aASCII[UBound($aASCII) + 1] ; Add an index for the ASCII array If $aChunks[$i][$j] = "" Or $aChunks[$i][$j] <= 63 Then ; If the chunk is not useful $l = $j For $k = $l To 1 Step -1 If $aChunks[$i][$k] = "" Or $aChunks[$i][$k] <= 63 Or $aASCII[$k] <= 63 Then $aASCII[$k - 1] -= 32 If $aASCII[$k - 1] <= 63 Then _ArrayDelete($aASCII, $k - 1) Else ExitLoop EndIf Next ExitLoop EndIf $aASCII[$j] = Int($aChunks[$i][$j]) Next ;Step 11, convert each value to ASCII equivalent For $k = UBound($aASCII) - 1 To 0 If $aASCII[$k] <= 63 Or $aASCII[$k] = "" Then ReDim $aASCII[UBound($aASCII) - 1] Else ExitLoop EndIf Next $aPoints[$i] = StringFromASCIIArray($aASCII, 0, -1, 0) Next If $bLog Then _Log("- Step 11, convert each value to ASCII equivalent, finished") If $aCoords[$c] <= 0 Then ;@CRLF & " " & If $bLog Then _Log($aPoints[1]) _Log($aPoints[0]) _Log("Next set") EndIf $sPolygon &= $aPoints[1] $sPolygon &= $aPoints[0] Else If $bLog Then _Log($aPoints[0]) _Log($aPoints[1]) _Log("Next set") EndIf $sPolygon &= $aPoints[0] $sPolygon &= $aPoints[1] EndIf Next If $bLog Then _Log("Custom Polygon: " & $sPolygon) _Log(TimerDiff($timer) & @CRLF) EndIf Return $sPolygon EndFunc ;==>_GetPoly Func _NumberToBinary($iNumber) Local $sBinString = "" ; Maximum 32-bit # range is -2147483648 to 2147483647 If $iNumber < -2147483648 Or $iNumber > 2147483647 Then Return SetError(1, 0, "") ; Convert to a 32-bit unsigned integer. We can't work on signed #'s $iUnsignedNumber = BitAND($iNumber, 0x7FFFFFFF) ; Cycle through each bit, shifting to the right until 0 Do $sBinString = BitAND($iUnsignedNumber, 1) & $sBinString $iUnsignedNumber = BitShift($iUnsignedNumber, 1) Until Not $iUnsignedNumber ; Was it a negative #? Put the sign bit on top, and pad the bits that aren't set If $iNumber < 0 Then Return '1' & StringRight("000000000000000000000000000000" & $sBinString, 31) ; Always return 32 bit binaries If StringLen($sBinString) < 32 Then Return StringRight("0000000000000000000000000000000" & $sBinString, 32) Return $sBinString EndFunc ;==>_NumberToBinary Func _BinaryToDec($sBinary) Local Const $aPower[8] = [128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1] Local $iDec If StringRegExp($sBinary, "[0-1]") Then If StringLen($sBinary) < 8 Then Do $sBinary = "0" & $sBinary Until StringLen($sBinary) = 8 EndIf $aBinary = StringSplit($sBinary, "", 2) For $i = 0 To UBound($aBinary) - 1 ;~ $aBinary[$i] = $aBinary[$i] * $aPower[$i] $iDec += $aBinary[$i] * $aPower[$i] Next Return $iDec Else Return SetError(0, 0, "Not a binary string") EndIf EndFunc ;==>_BinaryToDec Func _InvertBinary($iNumber) ;~ ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & $iNumber) Local $sNumber $aNumber = StringSplit($iNumber, "") For $i = 1 To $aNumber[0] If $aNumber[$i] = 0 Then $aNumber[$i] = 1 ElseIf $aNumber[$i] = 1 Then $aNumber[$i] = 0 Else Return SetError(0, 0, "Not a binary number") EndIf $sNumber &= String($aNumber[$i]) Next Return $sNumber EndFunc ;==>_InvertBinary Func _Log($data) ;~ Local Static $LogEnable = True ConsoleWrite(@CRLF & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & "." & @SEC & " " & $data) LogData(@HOUR & ":" & @MIN & "." & @SEC & " " & $data, "logs/LOGFILE.txt") EndFunc ;==>_Log Func LogData($text, $File = "logs/LOGFILE.txt") Global $LogFile = "" If $LogFile = "" Then $LogFile = FileOpen($File, 9) OnAutoItExitRegister(CloseLog) EndIf FileWriteLine($LogFile, $text) EndFunc ;==>LogData Func CloseLog() If $LogFile <> "" Then _Log("Closing LoD script" & @CRLF) FileClose($LogFile) EndIf EndFunc ;==>CloseLog  
      I've tried:
      $sPolygon &= $aPoints[0] & $aPoints[1] ;---- $sPolygon = $sPolygon & $aPoints[0] & $aPoints[1] ;---- $sPolygon = $sPolygon & String($aPoints[0] & $aPoints[1]) ;---- $sPolygon = String($sPolygon) & String($aPoints[0]) & String($aPoints[1]) ;---- $sPolygon &= $aPoints[1] $sPolygon &= $aPoints[0] ;----  
      I'm sure it's something basic that I'm overlooking, but I don't understand why it's not combining the strings. 
      Also, unrelated, why doesn't $LogFile = FileOpen($File, 9) create the directory/ file if they don't exist? 9 should be $FO_CREATEPATH (8) + $FO_APPEND (1)?
      Thanks!