_StringReverse - improved approach?

Why not using a plain wstrrev blindly instead?

It has the exact same drawback that every solution shown here so far and will work much faster in probably almost all cases (maybe empty and 1-codepoint strings).

See the quote by trancexx.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

The code posted with the timers has a couple of points that aren't taken into account. Here's a rewrite of it that should more accurately tell you how the times are affected.

#include <String.au3>

Local $hTimer = 0
Global $sString = ""
For $I = 1 To 1000
     $sString &= Chr(Random(65, 90, 1))
Next
$hTimer = TimerInit()
Local $aString = StringSplit($sString, '', 2) ; this should be inside the timer function, because strings aren't usually inside an array
For $i = 1 To 100
    StringReverseChrArray($aString) ; Average: 3.67800446704819
Next
ConsoleWrite((TimerDiff($hTimer) / 100) & @CRLF)

$hTimer = TimerInit()
For $i = 1 To 100
    StringReverse($sString) ; Average: 3.06620953221708
Next

$hTimer = TimerInit()
For $i = 1 To 100
    _StringReverse($sString) ; Average: 0.0783702956660693 
Next

Func StringReverseChrArray(ByRef $aString) ; Converted from this: http://marc.info/?l=php-general&m=120422082915762
    Local $sChr = '', $sReturn = ''
    Local $i = 0, $j = UBound($aString) - 1

While ($i < $j)
        $sChr = $aString[$i]
        $aString[$i] = $aString[$j]
        $aString[$j] = $sChr
        $i += 1
        $j -= 1
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>StringReverseChrArray

Func StringReverse($sString)
    Local $sReturn = ''
    For $i = StringLen($sString) To 1 Step -1
        $sReturn &= StringMid($sString, $i, 1)
    Next
    Return $sReturn
EndFunc   ;==>StringReverse

I had to limit it to 100 iterations of the loops because the first test took forever to finish for 100000 loops.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Apart from the random string, I still believe the StringSplit should be outside of the timer, as this was to mimic the same style as the character array you have in the php example.

Edit: These are the discussions I enjoy most.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I disagree, if you have a string you need to reverse, and it's not in an array, one character per element, you're going to have to split the string into an array first. Not timing that part of the function negates the value of any timing you do on it. Even without that inside the timer you'll see the difference is negligible in the overall test as it's only split once per loop.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

OK, we're looking at the purposes of these 'tests' as totally different. If AutoIt didn't use 'string literals' then it would be a different discussion.

I created the chrarray version to demonstrate if AutoIt was to use character arrays than string literals.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Either way, array created in the timer or outside, the difference isn't all that great. It's still slow no matter how you time the reverse function.

MSDN has become a complete mess when it comes to find any doc on primitives actually available not encapsulated behind the layers they want to promote.

I give up.

But the truth is that there must be a way to find "something" inside a "standard" (whatever that means) Windows system able to perform what wcsrev did without breaking the Law.

The point remains that reversing a string is hard work, really hard! No solution so far works in all cases and I'm sure no workable way can be done with AutoIt alone without having to invoke at least two Unicode string functions built into Windows. It would be weird to have to link18 Mib of ICU just for that.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I'm more interested in the "right/correct" approach, speed is always secondary to me. Sorry.

MSDN has become a complete mess when it comes to find any doc on primitives actually available not encapsulated behind the layers they want to promote.

I give up.

I couldn't find any native API call either. I think this is what trancexx was hinting at. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Do you mean that Windows doesn't carry any Unicode string primitive openly available to application development outside .Net, C#, COM+ and their other toys?

If it's not so, then that means the function has to become part of the core so that the relevant primitives/methods can be invoked properly.

If really that's impossible I don't see much future to Windows: way too many programs will stop working at the moment such functions effectively disappear.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I'm more interested in the "right/correct" approach, speed is always secondary to me. Sorry.

The right/correct approach depends on main priorities, and if one of these happens to be speed, then the correct approach is dictatated by the fact. There's no way to circumvent that. Sorry!

Edited by czardas

Do you mean that Windows doesn't carry any Unicode string primitive openly available to application development outside .Net, C#, COM+ and their other toys?

No, I meant API 'stringreverse' function.

The right correct approach depends on priorities, and if that's speed then the correct approach is dictatated by the fact. There's no way around that.

I hope you don't think I'm being too difficult. -_0 Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I hope you don't think I'm being too difficult. -_0

It has nothing to do with too difficult. It's about functional code. Some of the speed limitations with AutoIt are just tollerable right now. Any more sluggish and it's usefulness will be severely compromised. That's just something I don't want to see.

Edited by czardas

Perhaps I should contact trancexx sometime this week as well.

UDF List:

I guess you guys don't think to much of my idea to write a string reverse pgm in a lower level language and call it from a UDF similar to the _winapi_* functions...

But were back to square one with using lower level languages and it wouldn't be classed as a API function, thus couldn't be labelled _WinAPI.

Before someone mentions it, I will, _WinAPI_MsgBox. I know!

UDF List:

If ever C-style provisions still exist to:

1. Normalize any UTF-16 string into C-form

2. Allocate an output final buffer of the same size as output from 1.

3. Read the output of 1. codepoint by codepoint

4. Write the result at computed address within the result buffer

then by all means, reversing a string can still be made very efficiently if we sacrifice scripts (read: writen languages) using complex graphemes. This can surely be made by inline machine code, like what has been already done for several functions in non-standard UDFs (by Ward IIRC).