Sign in to follow this  
Andreik

Insert large data in excel cell

Andreik

I'm using excel udf to write some data in specific cells. Unfortunately I have to put there images also and here the problems starts. I'm not necessarily interested to see the images in excel so I encode them base64 but data leght is far too much for an excel cell, whici is limited to 32,767 characters. What alternatives I have?

When the words fail... music speaks

water

Write them as shapes to a sheet and then hide this sheet.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2018-06-01 - Version 1.4.9.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2018-01-27 - Version 1.3.3.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Andreik

Will this work well if I have 20000 rows and for each row I have 3 images? Maybe the most normal method would be to split data in chunks of 32,767 characters and write them in multiple cells. Of course it's not pretty but may work. I'm still open to any suggestion.

water

Shapes aren't related to cells. I understand it as they are placed on another layer. You can place them wherever you like on the sheet.

I have never done this myself but I would try the following:

Place the image on another worksheet. To make it invisible you can either set the image to visible=False or the whole worksheet

Set the name of the image like "row-column" so you have a connection between a cell and an image.

You can access each image by using this name.

If you like I can post an example.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2018-06-01 - Version 1.4.9.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2018-01-27 - Version 1.3.3.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Andreik

Sounds good, I'll try this method.

water

If you like I can provide an example.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

water

Example:

$sFile = @ScriptDir & "\test.jpg"
Global $oExcel = ObjCreate("Excel.Application")
$oExcel.Visible = True
$oWorkbook = $oExcel.Workbooks.Add()
$oExcel.Sheets.Add()
$oWorksheet = $oWorkbook.Sheets(2)
$oPicture = $oWorksheet.Shapes.AddPicture($sFile, -1, -1, 1, 1, 0, 0)
$oPicture.Scalewidth(1, -1, 0)
$oPicture.Scaleheight(1, -1, 0)
$oPicture.Visible = False
$oPicture.Name = "001-003" ; Example for: Row 1, column 3
MsgBox(0, "", "Press enter to set visibility to true")
$oWorksheet.Shapes.Item("001-003").Visible = True
$oExcel.Close
Exit

Creates an Excel Object

Adds a workbook

Adds a worksheet

Adds a picture to worksheet 2

Sets the size of the picture

Makes the picture invisible

Adds a name ("Row-Column") to the picture

Accesses the picture by name ("Row-Column") and makes it visible.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Andreik

Thank you! That's pretty cool, just one more question. Could I insert the image from binary data? If this is not possible it's not a big deal to write in temporary files the images before to insert them in excel.

water

I don't think so because the Add method requires a filename.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Andreik

I already saw some options using clipboard and Paste method. Thank you very much!

water

:)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki