best way to reduse memory usage of my script ?

hello autoit developers community
i have some question , i hope to find the answers of it :
- in large project or even in small ones
how to make my compiled script use less memory ?
- how to test my script and be sure that there is no memory leak , or whatsoever reduce my script performance ?
- where can i find anything talks about autoit script architecture to avoid bad script design ?

last thing i find these script
can anyone describe how these scripts work and is these script actually work fine
thanks

Func _ReduceMemory()
    Local $ai_GetCurrentProcessId = DllCall('kernel32.dll', 'int', 'GetCurrentProcessId')
    Local $ai_Handle = DllCall("kernel32.dll", 'int', 'OpenProcess', 'int', 0x1f0fff, 'int', False, 'int', $ai_GetCurrentProcessId[0])
    Local $ai_Return = DllCall("psapi.dll", 'int', 'EmptyWorkingSet', 'long', $ai_Handle[0])
    DllCall('kernel32.dll', 'int', 'CloseHandle', 'int', $ai_Handle[0])
    Return $ai_Return[0]
EndFunc

Func _SelfReduceMemory()
     DllCall("psapi.dll", "int", "EmptyWorkingSet", "long", -1)
EndFunc

Edited by dzlee

- where can i find anything talks about autoit script architecture to avoid bad script design ?

The wiki has a section about good coding practices.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Glad to be of service :)
We could even be more helpful if you could post your script.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

i'm about to start in storage management project
which i think will be a large script
connected to sqlite database
and, the script will run on windows xp with 512MB ram
so i am concerned in script performance
that's what i asked these question

Edited by dzlee

Develop your application first, keeping in mind to use large variables wisely w.r.t. their lifetime. Use the power of SQLite internally instead of using AutoIt code to process large, raw output. The actual size of the .au3 code is almost irrelevant and you can always use stripping to remove unused parts from the runable code. Then only check if the result requires too much, search where the issue is and workout a way to decrease memory size for this part.

The functions posted in the OP are not going to really help you, and possibly bite you someday.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I think that if some parts of your script you add sleep() it wont use so much memory, the inconvenience its that it will take more time to load... If you are planning to use another program here I have a script that will reduce the memory of the program you say :) (its same as yours but you can select the program)

Func _ProcessReduceMemory($iPID)
        Local $iProcExists = ProcessExists($iPID)
        If Not $iProcExists Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0)
        If IsString($iPID) Then $iPID = $iProcExists
        Local $hOpenProc, $aResult
        $hOpenProc = DllCall("Kernel32.dll", "int", "OpenProcess", "int", 0x1F0FFF, "int", False, "int", $iPID)
        $aResult = DllCall("Kernel32.dll", "int", "SetProcessWorkingSetSize", "hwnd", $hOpenProc[0], "int", -1, "int", -1)
        DllCall("Kernel32.dll", "int", "CloseHandle", "int", $hOpenProc[0])
        If Not IsArray($aResult) Or $aResult[0] = 0 Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
        Return $aResult[0]
EndFunc   ;==>_ProcessReduceMemory

Codding its just my life!  :thumbsup: 

I think the best approach is to avoid memory leaks. Means: Release storage when it is no longer used.
Set unused arrays to "" to release the memory, set unused objects to 0 to drop a connection, application or whatever.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Also keep in mind that empty arrays take space too... Also develop a specific kind of programming pattern in your program if you are making a huge program, note that you don't have to plan your programming pattern first-hand, you will have to do it when you start coding your script, that ways its much easier. These are things which I follow when I code a big code hungry script.

TD :)

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

• Developers

Also keep in mind that empty arrays take space too... Also develop a specific kind of programming pattern in your program if you are making a huge program, note that you don't have to plan your programming pattern first-hand, you will have to do it when you start coding your script, that ways its much easier. These are things which I follow when I code a big code hungry script.

:think:  This is as clear as mud to me but am sure there is some logic somewhere.

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

note that you don't have to plan your programming pattern first-hand, you will have to do it when you start coding your script, that ways its much easier.

I would like to see one of your huge scripts made with this principles in mind. All we have seen until now are some small and simple scripts :)

When trying to make good scripts/programs it is not about coding but planning. The design you make before you write the first line of code is what makes good code or in absence you get a pile of s..t sooner or later.
Coding is less then 10% of the effort to write a good program. The rest is design, testing, documentation etc

Just my 2 cents..

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

@Jos That way its much easier for you to start coding soon (earlier?)

@water You are not going to see a huge script made by me anytime soon! :P

TD :)

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation - Fund the development! (GitHub will double your donations for a limited time)

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

TheDcoder,

Do you start driving before you know where you want to go to?
First comes planning, then comes doing. Wikipedia describes it much better: PDCA.
Happy reading ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

In reference to the 2 scripts posted in this thread so far, neither one of them will actually reduce memory usage of your script. What both of them do is to take the memory that your program is using and dumping it to disk in the page file. In other words, it will reduce the RAM being used, but the data that was in the RAM is now in your page file, and being disk based it will make your program run much slower if if needs any of that information that on the disk. It's a band-aid on a bullet wound, you should try and fix any memory issues with your script before you resort to ruining its performance this way.

In Windows XP memory management was terrible, so this type of script had limited usage. In today's modern OSs this is totally unnecessary because Windows handles the memory management and your scripts shouldn't try to do it. Microsoft is a lot smarter about memory management than you or I. Memory is usually plentiful, and much faster than disks, leave the data there and let Windows decide when it should page it out.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator