Windows 10 release 29th of July

jvanegmond

Windows 10 upgrade has been continuously failing on my game computer. I've been getting an error of 80240020. I've been searching around and found that I'm nto the only one. So I'm using the Microsoft tool to create the Windows 10 Media and then I'm going to try and use that to see if the upgrade goes through. I've done a disk image of my C and D partitions so if anything goes wrong I can always back out. I guess I'll see what happens when the tool has finished downloading and creating the DVD for me.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I found out that the error message I listed above isn't really an error message. It happens because Microsoft wants to roll out W10 in waves so that the servers don't implode. This error message is just Windows Update's way of saying that it isn't my turn to upgrade yet. There is a registry setting that can be done that will kick off the upgrade anyways though.

In regedit, go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" create a REG_DWORD (32) key in there called AllowOSUpgrade and set its value to 1 and then rerun Windows Update and it should allow you to do the upgrade.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I updated yesterday from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro without any problem. It took approx. 1.5h but I didn't test it in detail yet (was 01:00 am when finished).

Seems pretty cool for now.

FYI, just download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to upgrade immediately. E.g. from here: http://www.chip.de/downloads/Windows-10-64-Bit_72189999.html

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

• Moderators

I ran the upgrade last night after taking a complete image of my machine and came back to it this morning. Everything looks to be in order as far as applications, nothing really wigging out yet. Took the day off to go through the machine and script repositories to see what might need to be tweaked.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Just upgraded my WIN 7 64Bit Home Edition German to WIN 10.
All working well. no problems at all.
But I noticed, that the Productcode and the Productid changed.
I think, it is important to save the new product key for later usage with System rebuild.
The old WIN 7 key is not accepted by a clean ISO install and after one year, the old WIN 7 may not be upgraded any more.

I wrote a BAT script to show the product keys of the running system.

Here the link:  http://autoit.oo3.co/user/autoit/UDF/DisplayMyMicrosoftProductKeys.bat

Enjoy :)

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()                             

Wow, you could have just used the portable app by NirSoft called ProduKey

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Administrators

Where is the fun in that? ^_^

My games machine seems quite happy. Had a bit of an issue trying to reinstall the Nvidia drivers it kept letting me install them then said they weren't installed and reinstalled them. And so on. Manually uninstalling all of them and then starting again seemed to fix it.

I don't like the new window borders, it's weird that the resizing has to be done outside the window. I wonder if there's a tweak for adding a border back.

The forum / site look ok on Edge. Phew.

Edited by Jon

I wrote the BAT for an Installation where no roll your own EXEs where allowed to run.

I know those free Tools. BTW even in the AutoIt Forum, you'll find a AutoIt solution.

But I think, the BAT solution is a nice sample of the power of BAT scripts.

Edited by Exit

App: Au3toCmd              UDF: _SingleScript()                             

The upgrade was easy, went pretty smooth other than when it first went into windows screen resolution was 1024x768 and I couldn't change it. Not all my running apps were showing up in task bar so I couldn't get to them (like NVidia control panel or GeForce experience), then my start menu stopped working altogether. After a reboot, screen resolution was fixed and apps all showed in task bar.

I'm not liking the window look, that flat grey borderless thing just doesn't do it for me. App list in start menu is crap (it doesn't list even half my installed stuff and search is useless as it's not finding anything)

I'm giving it some time though to see if it grows on me, but it needs to happen quick because I have things I need to work on but if I just can't get used to 10, then I need to restore my win7 image so any work in 10 will be lost.

My Android cat and mouse game
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.KaosVisions.WhiskersNSqueek

We're gonna need another Timmy!

• Administrators

I was hoping to ditch Class Shell / Start - but it's not looking likely.

I wished they had fixed the double Control Panels as well. Either use the old one for everything, or make the new one have all the relevant bits. Seriously. Have you tried to find the old Control Panel just using the mouse and left click? Can it even be done? I know I can type "Control Panel" or use Win+X but how do you find it using just clicky-clicky if you don't know?

Some things just seem to be taking forever on 10

Like I ran Belarc computer advisory to get all my Win10 serials and printing the results to pdf has taken like 45 minutes so far.

Good point on classic control panel. I have a feeling I'll need it and I'm going to forget how to get to it.

Not sure I like how Win10 shows much everything on your pc to the user just by opening the start menu. It's like "Privacy? pffft, no one's going to be looking over your shoulder or doing a quick web search on your computer. You're the only one that can see your screen."

. Have you tried to find the old Control Panel just using the mouse and left click? Can it even be done? I know I can type "Control Panel" or use Win+X but how do you find it using just clicky-clicky if you don't know?

The old Control  Panel is listed under All Apps from the start menu, go to "Windows System" and you'll find it in there. You can  pin it to the start menu by right clicking the icon as well.

I asked Cortana if I could call her differently, and she said "No". Then I asked the same question again and she said "I like being called Cortana". Then I asked the same question again and she said something that really made me laugh. Then I said "ok but then you have to sing a song to me", and she did. 

Beautiful.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

I found that "file history" is on by default and that backs up every single file on your pc every few minutes or something like that. I'll have to think, but there was something else that was going on from startup that I needed to stop as well...