chipmonger

Possible Bug - FileExist checking for non-existent file

11 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Have the following code snippet:

If not FileExists($ExchangeDir & $StockCSV) Then
            _FileWriteFromArray($ExchangeDir & $StockCSV, $YahooStockEntries)
        Else

When trying to do a check against the non-existent file 'PRN.csv', FileExists is evaluating as True.  This is not happening with other file names, directory structure is correct.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chip

Edited by chipmonger

Can you please give an example of the content of the two variables $ExchangeDir and $StockCSV that return an invalid result?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

For $StockCSV, "PRN.csv"

For $ExchangeDir, "C:\Documents and Settings\Chip\My Documents\Historical Data\Stock Activity\AMEX\"

Note that $ExchangeDir has been used unchanged on many other stocks/files with no issue.

The only thing I can thing of is 'PRN' being a character device.

Thanks,

Chip

Edited by chipmonger
Additional info

How do you check that the file does not exist?
Maybe it is hidden and your Windows Explorer setting does not display hidden files.
Please open a CMD window and use Dir to check the directory.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

I made a temporary file so PRN is the first entry processed.  The AAA directory was deleted prior to starting the program.  Other than storing a temporary file using a different filename in a different directory, this is the only place in the program where a file write occurs.

If I use my normal set of files and remove PRN from my list of entries to process, the program completes successfully.

If you suspect that the name "PRN" is the culprit could you change the name and try again?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Without 'PRN' in my list to process, I've got over 6500 different filenames successfully processed and still going.

I've got to run out to meet family but will be back in the evening.

Thanks again,

Chip

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

There does seem to be a bug here or at least unexpected behaviour related to files name PRN It does not seem to matter what the extention is.

FileExists() is probable detecting the printer port PRN

;File and path do not exist
 $FolderA = "C:\ThisPathDoesNotExist\PRN.txt"
 $Exists = FileExists($FolderA)
 ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $Exists = ' & $Exists & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console

;File and path do not exist
 $FolderB = "C:\ThisPathDoesNotExist\ABC.txt"
 $Exists = FileExists($FolderB)
 ConsoleWrite('@@ Debug(' & @ScriptLineNumber & ') : $Exists = ' & $Exists & @CRLF & '>Error code: ' & @error & @CRLF) ;### Debug Console

;Path exist but file does not exist
 $FolderA = "C:\Temp\PRN.txt"
 $Exists = FileExists($FolderA)

;Path exist but file does not exist
 $FolderB = "C:\Temp\ABC.txt"
 $Exists = FileExists($FolderB)

EDIT: It also detects COM1.txt COM2.txt etc.

Edited by Bowmore
1 person likes this

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning."- Rick Cook

I think the problem is caused by PRN being a reserved name as descrihed here.

1 person likes this

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

I'll just remove PRN from my list of stocks to process.  Definitely looks to be a reserved word as Bowmore found.  This was the only stock symbol (for me) that caused an issue.

Chip

You should avoid the following names as described in the MSDN article I posted above:
"The following names are reserved and can't be used for files or directories: CON, AUX, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, PRN, and NUL."

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki