How to get icon associated with an extension

Hi friends!

I making a listview who displays files and i need set correct icon example: If computer have installed WinRAR zip files will have winrar icon, if have installed adobe reader pdf files have adobe reader icon. I trying to find a way to get icon associated with a extension on the computer, to after put in my listview. Thanks in advance.

Try this :

#include <WinAPI.au3>
#Include <Array.au3> ; Just for _ArrayDisplay()
$aIcon = _GetDefaultIcon(".txt")
Func _GetDefaultIcon($sExt)
    Local $aRet[2]
    If NOT StringRegExp($sExt, "^\.") Then $sExt = "." & $sExt
    Local $sFileType = RegRead("HKCR\" & $sExt, "")
    If $sFileType = "" Then Return SetError(1, 0, "")
    Local $sDefaultIcon = StringReplace ( RegRead("HKCR\" & $sFileType & "\DefaultIcon", ""), '"', '')
    If $sDefaultIcon = "" Then Return SetError(1, 0, "")
    If StringRegExp($sDefaultIcon, ",-?\d+$") Then
        $aRet = StringRegExp($sDefaultIcon, "(.*),(-?\d+)$", 3)
        $aRet[0] = $sDefaultIcon
        $aRet[1] = 0
    ; Replaces each environment variable by its expanded value
    $aRet[0] = _WinAPI_ExpandEnvironmentStrings ($aRet[0])
    Return $aRet

• Like 1

This is a totally different solution. A system image list is used to store icons, which are extracted from files/folders with _WinAPI_ShellGetFileInfo. File/folder names are specified by PIDLs. The code contains a version of _WinAPI_ShellGetFileInfo that supports PIDLs. Then the icons are shown in a listview.

#include <GuiConstantsEx.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GuiListView.au3>
#include <WinAPICom.au3>
#include <WinAPIShPath.au3>
#include <WinAPIShellEx.au3>

Opt( "MustDeclareVars", 1 )

Func Example()
  ; Initialize COM

; Create GUI
  Local $hGui = GUICreate( "Drop files or folders (one at a time) on the listview to show icons", 550, 300, 300, 200, -1, BitOR( $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES, $WS_EX_TOPMOST ) )

; System image list
  Local $hImlLarge = _WinAPI_ShellGetImageList()

; Create ListView
  Local $idListView = GUICtrlCreateListView( "", 0, 0, 550, 300 )
  GUICtrlSetStyle( $idListView, BitOR( $GUI_SS_DEFAULT_LISTVIEW, $LVS_ICON ) )
  GUICtrlSetState( $idListView, $GUI_DROPACCEPTED )
  Local $hListView = GUICtrlGetHandle( $idListView )
  _GUICtrlListView_SetExtendedListViewStyle( $hListView, $LVS_EX_DOUBLEBUFFER )
  _GUICtrlListView_SetImageList( $hListView, $hImlLarge, 0 )

; Show GUI
  GUISetState( @SW_SHOW )

; Message loop
  While 1
    Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Local $sFile = @GUI_DragFile
        Local $iImage = GetIconIndex( $sFile )
        Local $sText = StringRight( $sFile, StringLen( $sFile ) - StringInStr( $sFile, "\", 0, -1 ) )
        _GUICtrlListView_AddItem( $hListView, $sText, $iImage )

; Cleanup
  GUIDelete( $hGui )

Func GetIconIndex( $sFileName )
  Local $pPIDL = _WinAPI_ShellILCreateFromPath( $sFileName )
  Local $tSHFILEINFO = DllStructCreate( $tagSHFILEINFO )
  _WinAPI_ShellGetFileInfoEx( $pPIDL, $iFlags, 0, $tSHFILEINFO )
  Local $iIcon = DllStructGetData( $tSHFILEINFO, "iIcon" )
  _WinAPI_CoTaskMemFree( $pPIDL )
  Return $iIcon

Func _WinAPI_ShellGetFileInfoEx($pPIDL, $iFlags, $iAttributes, ByRef $tSHFILEINFO)
  Local $aRet = DllCall('shell32.dll', 'dword_ptr', 'SHGetFileInfoW', 'ptr', $pPIDL, 'dword', $iAttributes, 'struct*', $tSHFILEINFO, 'uint', DllStructGetSize($tSHFILEINFO), 'uint', $iFlags)
  If @error Then Return SetError(@error, @extended, 0)
  Return $aRet[0]

Take a look at System Image Lists if you want to show state information (overlay icon (eg. the small link overlay in lower left corner of an icon), ghosted state (used for protected system folders) or compressed state (blue text color if compressed file)).

Edited by LarsJ
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Seminko
      By Seminko
      In my recent project I'm downloading a bunch of data, so I decided to store it in a SQLite database. NOTE: I'm using sqlite3_x64.dll
      Everything is working just fine but I'm struggling with getting the Median value. SQLite has an Average function but not a Median one.
      I googled but all of the provided solutions are way above my pay-grade. After some more searching I found 'extension-functions.c' on the SQLite site where Median is included. After almost an hour of struggling I was able to successfully compile it into a DLL.
      So I downloaded @jchd's SQLiteExtLoad.au3 as seen here:
      But I'm getting these errors:
      "Path\SQLiteExtLoad.au3"(21,40) : warning: $g_hDll_SQLite: possibly used before declaration. Local $RetVal = DllCall($g_hDll_SQLite, ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^ "Path\SQLiteExtLoad.au3"(21,40) : error: $g_hDll_SQLite: undeclared global variable. Local $RetVal = DllCall($g_hDll_SQLite, ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^ So I tried, copying the function to my file and changing the DLL variable ($g_hDll_SQLite) directly to the DLL location (C:\...\.. .dll), but now this error fires
      If __SQLite_hChk($hConn, 1) Then Return SetError(@error, 0, $SQLITE_MISUSE) To be honest, I don't know what to use as the $hConn - handle of connection.
      I would appreciate any help, be it getting the median using SQLite queries or getting the DLL extension loaded using AutoIt.
      Thanks, S.
      EDIT: well, I suspect the $hConn variable refers to the return value of the _SQLite_Open function. Well, at least now _SQLite_EnableExtensions doesn't give errors. Now I run into problems with _SQLite_LoadExtension, which gives error -1, and extended 1. Apparently the 1 constant is a generic error where other error do not apply.
      BTW, anybody knows whether I need to compile the extension DLL "into" x64 when I use a x64 SQLite? That might be the problem...
      EDIT2: I recompiled the dll and tried it using the SQLite3.exe and it works, so I'm confident the extension DLL has been created correctly

• buymeapc
      By buymeapc
      Hi all,
      I'm trying to create a listview with subitem icons and I achieved this by simply rearranging the order of the columns, so that the first column is in the middle, thus appearing as a subitem with an icon - this method prevents the "icon clipping" that happens when using subitem icons in a listview. My issue is that when I select a row that does not have an icon, the space where the icon would be is white. Is there a way to make this transparent, so it looks like the entire row is selected?
      Here's an example - click the second listview item/row to see a blank space where the icon would be.
      #include <GuiConstantsEx.au3> #include <GuiListView.au3> #include <GuiImageList.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> _Main() Func _Main() Local $hGui, $listview, $hImage Local $iLV_EXStyle_NoChecks = BitOR($LVS_EX_GRIDLINES, $LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT, $LVS_EX_SUBITEMIMAGES, $LVS_EX_DOUBLEBUFFER, $LVS_EX_HEADERDRAGDROP) $hGui = GUICreate("Listview Test With Icons", 400, 300) $listview = GUICtrlCreateListView("Col 1|Col 2|Col 3", 2, 2, 394, 268, BitOR($LVS_REPORT, $LVS_SHAREIMAGELISTS)) _GUICtrlListView_SetExtendedListViewStyle($listview, $iLV_EXStyle_NoChecks) GUISetState() ; Create the image list $hImage = _GUIImageList_Create(16, 16, 5, 3) _GUIImageList_AddIcon($hImage, @SystemDir & "\shell32.dll", 165) _GUICtrlListView_SetImageList($listview, $hImage, 1) ; Set the order so the first column is moved to the middle, ; acting like a subitem with an icon _GUICtrlListView_SetColumnOrder($listview, "1|0|2") ; Add the items GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("Item1|Item2|Item3", $listview) GUICtrlCreateListViewItem("Item4|Item5|Item6", $listview) ; Set an icon for just the first item _GUICtrlListView_SetItemImage($listview, 0, 0) Do Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE GUIDelete() EndFunc ;==>_Main  
    • GordonFreeman
      By GordonFreeman
      Hi, i searched some topics but cannot found a simple way to do that:
      #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> $Form1 = GUICreate("Form1", 615, 438, 192, 124) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; I tried this but user reported that it work in 2006, not seems work actually $filemenu = GUICtrlCreateMenu ("&File") $fileitem = GUICtrlCreateMenuitem ("Open",$filemenu) GuiCtrlSetImage($fileitem, "shell32.dll", 4) While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit EndSwitch WEnd Also tried:
      #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> $Form1 = GUICreate("Form1", 615, 438, 192, 124) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) $filemenu = TrayCreateMenu("&File") $fileitem = TrayCreateItem("Open",$filemenu) ;GuiCtrlSetImage($fileitem, "shell32.dll", 4) ;GuiCtrlSetImage(TrayItemGetHandle($fileitem), "shell32.dll", 4) While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit EndSwitch WEnd Well.. thanks in advance!
      Ok. I found this working example from Yashied. If i cannot find a simple then i will go with it
      #Include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #Include <GUIMenu.au3> #Include <Constants.au3> #Include <WinAPI.au3> #Include <WindowsConstants.au3> Opt('MustDeclareVars', 1) Global $hMenu, $hForm, $hFile = 1000, $idNew, $idExit $hForm = GUICreate('Menu', 400, 300) $hFile = _GUICtrlMenu_CreateMenu() _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem ($hFile, 0, ' &Favorites', $idNew) _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem ($hFile, 1, '', 0) _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hFile, 2, ' E&xit', $idExit) $hMenu = _GUICtrlMenu_CreateMenu() _GUICtrlMenu_InsertMenuItem($hMenu, 0, '&File', 0, $hFile) _GUICtrlMenu_SetMenu($hForm, $hMenu) _GUICtrlMenu_SetItemBmp($hFile, 0, _CreateBitmapFromIcon(_WinAPI_GetSysColor($COLOR_MENU), @SystemDir & '\shell32.dll', 43, 16, 16)) _GUICtrlMenu_SetItemBmp($hFile, 2, _CreateBitmapFromIcon(_WinAPI_GetSysColor($COLOR_MENU), @SystemDir & '\shell32.dll', 27, 16, 16)) GUISetState() Do Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Func _CreateBitmapFromIcon($iBackground, $sIcon, $iIndex, $iWidth, $iHeight) Local $hDC, $hBackDC, $hBackSv, $hIcon, $hBitmap $hDC = _WinAPI_GetDC(0) $hBackDC = _WinAPI_CreateCompatibleDC($hDC) $hBitmap = _WinAPI_CreateSolidBitmap(0, $iBackground, $iWidth, $iHeight) $hBackSv = _WinAPI_SelectObject($hBackDC, $hBitmap) $hIcon = _WinAPI_PrivateExtractIcon($sIcon, $iIndex, $iWidth, $iHeight) If Not @error Then _WinAPI_DrawIconEx($hBackDC, 0, 0, $hIcon, 0, 0, 0, 0, $DI_NORMAL) _WinAPI_DestroyIcon($hIcon) EndIf _WinAPI_SelectObject($hBackDC, $hBackSv) _WinAPI_ReleaseDC(0, $hDC) _WinAPI_DeleteDC($hBackDC) Return $hBitmap EndFunc ;==>_CreateBitmapFromIcon Func _WinAPI_PrivateExtractIcon($sIcon, $iIndex, $iWidth, $iHeight) Local $hIcon, $tIcon = DllStructCreate('hwnd'), $tID = DllStructCreate('hwnd') Local $Ret = DllCall('user32.dll', 'int', 'PrivateExtractIcons', 'str', $sIcon, 'int', $iIndex, 'int', $iWidth, 'int', $iHeight, 'ptr', DllStructGetPtr($tIcon), 'ptr', DllStructGetPtr($tID), 'int', 1, 'int', 0) If (@error) Or ($Ret[0] = 0) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0) EndIf $hIcon = DllStructGetData($tIcon, 1) If ($hIcon = Ptr(0)) Or (Not IsPtr($hIcon)) Then Return SetError(1, 0, 0) EndIf Return $hIcon EndFunc ;==>_WinAPI_PrivateExtractIcon Ok, i noticed that is a pain create submenu with _GUICtrlMenu_CreatePopup to do like in Tray, and Tray better located, then i need images/icon with Tray functions, some workaround?? 
    • WoodGrain
      By WoodGrain
      Hi All,
      I'm using UseTraySetIcon("shell32.dll", xx) to set my tray icon to a specific icon while running, is there a way I can specify this icon when I compile my script into an exe so my exe icon is the same?
    • nacerbaaziz
      By nacerbaaziz
      Hi guys
      I have an inquiry please
      I want an example of how to add an icon file to the compiled autoit file and how to use it in GUICtrlCreateIcon
      Preferably in a separate list within the resourceFor example myIcons
      I hope my request is clear and I hope you will help me solve this problem
      Because I found an example in the help files but I did not understand the method well

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.