AutoIt Environment Improvements?

I like writing programs in AutoIt, but there are a few little improvements that I think would make things quicker and easier.

I think it would be even better if

- the tools and options menus were shorter, split into sub-menus.

- the compiler did not expand all the code folding.

- the compiler didn't reset the indent settings to 4 chars.

- F8 put the cursor into the console window.

- escape closed the console window (as MSVS).

- after IDE script run and end, the console window remained showing the end of the output.

Please say if you agree or not, or if there is a way to set what I want.

Richard.

This is more of a Chat discussion rather than General Help and Support.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

A few things:

* You can select which tools you want. I keep my menu to a selection of the ones I use, which is about 10 in addition to the standard options.

* Folding is removed ONLY when the script is changed, which isn't done by the compiler, but by using Tidy before compilation or when the headers are updated.

* Once again it's similar to folding above. Furthermore, that's what Tidy will set it to, so most people are fine with that.

* F8 hides or shows the console window, and there is no hotkey to put the cursor there, as there is no need to have the cursor in a read only box.

* See above.

* And finally a point I agree with :) Although there is a case to say it's more useful to see from the beginning, we're not usually interested in the header stuff like the command lines.

I agree with the last point, im always having to grab the scrollbar and move the console text down to see whether my consolewrites did what they should have done.

* And finally a point I agree with :) Although there is a case to say it's more useful to see from the beginning, we're not usually interested in the header stuff like the command lines.

I agree with the last point, im always having to grab the scrollbar and move the console text down to see whether my consolewrites did what they should have done.

Set "output.scroll=2" in User Options File ;)

* F8 hides or shows the console window, and there is no hotkey to put the cursor there, as there is no need to have the cursor in a read only box.

It's not read-only. The problem is rather how to read it from AutoIt.

Take this Python-code for example:

input = raw_input("Please write something in console and press enter")
print(input)

>pythonw -u "console write in SciTE.py"

Please write something in console and press enterme writing lots of shit in the console moxxi I LOVE youyuoyuyouyouyoyuyouyoyuoyuoyuyoyuoyuyouyoyu *penGUIn invasion force 2000!!*

me writing lots of shit in the console moxxi I LOVE youyuoyuyouyouyoyuyouyoyuoyuoyuyoyuoyuyouyoyu *penGUIn invasion force 2000!!*

>Exit code: 0 Time: 36.703

It's not read-only. The problem is rather how to read it from AutoIt. Take this Python-code for example:

input = raw_input("Please write something in console and press enter")
print(input)
Very interesting... You would have thought python would use the standard method of reading from a console, and that it would work using the WinAPI, but that's not the case. I will have to see if I can get something together.

• Moderators

AdmiralAlkex,

Set "output.scroll=2" in User Options File

Thanks for that little gem. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Ok thanks for the tip AdmiralAlkex

but i found this file SciTEGlobal.properties

and i edited the line but it still hides the console output after a second

eg

>"C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\SciTE\AutoIt3Wrapper\AutoIt3Wrapper.exe" /run /prod /ErrorStdOut /in "C:\Users\Jez\Desktop\Check (2).au3" /autoit3dir "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3" /UserParams     
+>15:44:41 Starting AutoIt3Wrapper v.2.0.1.24    Environment(Language:0409  Keyboard:00000809  OS:WIN_7/Service Pack 1  CPU:X64 OS:X64) 
>Running AU3Check (1.54.19.0)  from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3 +>15:44:41 AU3Check ended.rc:0 >
Running:(3.3.6.1):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "C:\Users\Jez\Desktop\Check (2).au3"    
*.cidb;*.hkdb;*.itdb 
*.cidb;*.hkdb;*.itdb 
*.cidb;*.hkdb;*.itdb 
+>15:44:48 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0
>Exit code: 0    Time: 8.639

But this bit is hidden below the line at the bottom of the window

*.cidb;*.hkdb;*.itdb  
*.cidb;*.hkdb;*.itdb  
*.cidb;*.hkdb;*.itdb  
+>15:44:48 AutoIT3.exe ended.rc:0 
>Exit code: 0    Time: 8.639

I see the lines i need whilst program is running just not at the end when i close it

Or am i editing the wrong file?

Edited by Chimaera

@Melba23 & somdcomputerguy

Thank you, it was not hard to find ;)

SciTE help > SciTE Documentation > CTRL+F > output > smash foot on Enter key a couple of times > SCORE!

:)

Ok thanks for the tip AdmiralAlkex

but i found this file SciTEGlobal.properties

and i edited the line but it still hides the console output after a second

---

Or am i editing the wrong file?

You edited the Global file? That's bad, your changes will be overwritten when you after the next update. Instead open SciTE, press Options > Open User Options File, and put it somewhere along the top (note the comments in the file about where not to put it).

If that doesn't work I don't know. I'm using the latest files form the SciTE4AutoIt3 thread, maybe they are needed? Dunno what you or the others have.

Edit: Not to mention that UAC should have prevented you from messing with the Globals file so you must have done something bad to be able to edit it.

Edited by AdmiralAlkex

my SciTeUser.Properties was empty, i put that line, i close the SciTe adn reopen and it works.. :) that is useful. thanks AdmiralAlkex.

I take this space also to ask about setting the box comment feature, if i try it to use SciTe pop up a MsgBox pop up telling me this...

Box comment variables 'comment.box.start.props', 'comment.box.middle.props' and 'comment.box.end.props' are not defined in SciTE *.properties!
Edited by monoscout999

You edited the Global file? That's bad, your changes will be overwritten when you after the next update. Instead open SciTE, press Options > Open User Options File, and put it somewhere along the top (note the comments in the file about where not to put it).

Edit: Not to mention that UAC should have prevented you from messing with the Globals file so you must have done something bad to be able to edit it.

Thanks again

Im using the normal version of full Scite, i haven't bothered with the beta stuff, ill wait until its sorted before upgrading

Ive never used those options so wasn't aware they were there, my file was blank as well but its working now.

Same for most of the things on the bar at the top of Scite i never use them, don't know what most of them are, i just type in the main area and press F1 less chance of breaking stuff :)

As to UAC that's because i switch the damn annoying thing off everytime i do an install for myself .. still surprises me that people put up with it interfering everytime you touch something.

• 1 month later...

my SciTeUser.Properties was empty, i put that line, i close the SciTe adn reopen and it works.. :) that is useful. thanks AdmiralAlkex.

I take this space also to ask about setting the box comment feature, if i try it to use SciTe pop up a MsgBox pop up telling me this...

Box comment variables 'comment.box.start.props', 'comment.box.middle.props' and 'comment.box.end.props' are not defined in SciTE *.properties!

I've the same problem but i found bad definitions in the file "au3.properties" !:mellow:

This lines are write in the file :

comment.box.start.au3=#CS

comment.box.middle.au3=

comment.box.end.au3=#CE

But it doesn't work :) because ''comment.box.middle.au3=" MUST NOT be empty ! Write 'comment.box.middle.au3=;" and CTRL+MAJ+B work now !

Cordialy