Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ksmith247

WMI data to an Array: Determine if a patch is needed

8 posts in this topic

I have a rather involved AutoIT script that is used to update/patch XP computers in an off network situation. We have been rolling out Windows 7 for a while and I need to start patching these guys too; however XP and 7 are quite different in relation to security updates.

In XP I was able to read HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Uninstall to determine the existence of a security update or hotfix (hereafter referred to as patch). If the script found the KB number in the registry then the patch is already installed and it skipped to the next patch. This is not an option in Windows 7 and WMI seems to be the best place to get what I am looking for.

I know in Win32_QuickFixEngineering there is a property called HotFixID. I think I need to read this and dump it into an array, search the array and if the search is positive skip installing the particular patch (searching for KB255987 for example). I am having major trouble getting WMI data into an array. I have read the array wiki and searched through the forums. I am also pretty sure that I am making it much more confusing than it should be but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. A nudge in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Support bacteria; it's the only culture most people have.LxP's Learning to Script with AutoIt 3 - Excellent starting placeVolly's Links Page - Links to cool and useful scriptsAutoIt Wrappers - Valuater's AutoIt Wrappers post. Lots of good stuff.Support AutoIt - Make a donation here; I did.[size="2"]#include <Guinness.pint>[/size]

#2 ·  Posted (edited)

I have a rather involved AutoIT script that is used to update/patch XP computers in an off network situation. We have been rolling out Windows 7 for a while and I need to start patching these guys too; however XP and 7 are quite different in relation to security updates.

In XP I was able to read HKLM\software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Uninstall to determine the existence of a security update or hotfix (hereafter referred to as patch). If the script found the KB number in the registry then the patch is already installed and it skipped to the next patch. This is not an option in Windows 7 and WMI seems to be the best place to get what I am looking for.

I know in Win32_QuickFixEngineering there is a property called HotFixID. I think I need to read this and dump it into an array, search the array and if the search is positive skip installing the particular patch (searching for KB255987 for example). I am having major trouble getting WMI data into an array. I have read the array wiki and searched through the forums. I am also pretty sure that I am making it much more confusing than it should be but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this one. A nudge in the right direction would be most appreciated.

EDIT: it wasn't a udf but this should help: http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/functions/StringSplit.htm

Edited by rcmaehl

My UDFs are generally for me. If they aren't updated for a while, it means I'm not using them myself. As soon as I start using them again, they'll get updated.

MY PROJECTS

Active: IRC UDF, WindowEx UDF
Discontinued: GithubBubbleSort UDF

What code do you have so far? My suggestion is look at the wiki section which discusses about Arrays. Also have a look at this example I posted the other day which adds items to an Array >> you should also look at ReDim too.

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 04/09/2015

#4 ·  Posted (edited)

What code do you have so far?

It's not much but something I puled from an old script. It does however look in WMI at QFE and display all installed patches.

#include <array.au3>

$objWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & @ComputerName & "\root\CIMV2")
$colItems = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select HotFixID from Win32_QuickFixEngineering")
$message = "HotFixes Installed on " & @ComputerName & @CRLF & "-------" & @CRLF
For $objItem In $colItems
$message &= $objItem.HotFixID & @CRLF
Next
MsgBox(64, "Results", $message)

My suggestion is look at the wiki section which discusses about Arrays. Also have a look at this example I posted the other day which adds items to an Array >> you should also look at ReDim too.

I have read the Array Wiki; it just doesn't compute for me. Again, I am probably making it more difficult (in my head) than it has to be.

On a side note, this is the first time the #include in my signature has actually worked.

Edited by ksmith247

Support bacteria; it's the only culture most people have.LxP's Learning to Script with AutoIt 3 - Excellent starting placeVolly's Links Page - Links to cool and useful scriptsAutoIt Wrappers - Valuater's AutoIt Wrappers post. Lots of good stuff.Support AutoIt - Make a donation here; I did.[size="2"]#include <Guinness.pint>[/size]

#5 ·  Posted (edited)

OK, so to make it simple use StringSplit() as suggested by rcmaehl >>

#include <Array.au3>

Global $aArray

$aArray = _GetHotFixes()
_ArrayDisplay($aArray)

Func _GetHotFixes()
Local $oColItems, $oWMIService, $sOutput
$oWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & @ComputerName & "\root\CIMV2")
$oColItems = $oWMIService.ExecQuery("Select HotFixID From Win32_QuickFixEngineering", "WQL", 0x30)

For $oItem In $oColItems
$sOutput &= $oItem.HotFixID & ";"
Next
Return StringSplit(StringTrimRight($sOutput, 1), ";")
EndFunc ;==>_GetHotFixes
Edited by guinness
1 person likes this

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Windows 7 still lists the KB updates in the registry in the same place that Windows XP had it.The format has changed, in that the KB # isn't in the Default key any longer, but you can find the knowledge base number from the HelpLink or MoreInfoURL keys instead, they end in /kb/xxxxxxx where xxxxxxx is the knowledge base number.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

OK, so to make it simple use StringSplit() as suggested by rcmaehl >>

#include <Array.au3>

Global $aArray

$aArray = _GetHotFixes()
_ArrayDisplay($aArray)

Func _GetHotFixes()
Local $oColItems, $oWMIService, $sOutput
$oWMIService = ObjGet("winmgmts:\\" & @ComputerName & "\root\CIMV2")
$oColItems = $oWMIService.ExecQuery("Select HotFixID From Win32_QuickFixEngineering", "WQL", 0x30)

For $oItem In $oColItems
$sOutput &= $oItem.HotFixID & ";"
Next
Return StringSplit(StringTrimRight($sOutput, 1), ";")
EndFunc ;==>_GetHotFixes

There is absolutely no way I would have ever arrived here. Thank you for your time and to rcmaehl too.

I didn't explain what I was doing but it seems you have an understanding of the basics so I'm sure you can grasp what I did.