Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Attckdog

Excel Format Cell as Text

8 posts in this topic

I've got a tab delimited text file that needs column headers added.

As you might be able to see it's for an Amazon Order confirmation File.

With my current experience with autoit I figured the best way to make this happen would be to use excel.

Only problem is that excel is being a punk and changing my numbers to short hand.

The numbers that are being changed are FedEx Tracking numbers like: 064089467117955

End up like this: 6.40895E+13

So i was looking for a better way to do this or a way to prevent my cells from being changed.

Here's my Code:

FileCopy("Y:\New Folder\HOLDFILEEXPORT.txt", "C:\Amazon\HOLDFILEEXPORT.txt", 1)
FileCopy("C:\Amazon\HOLDFILEEXPORT.txt", "C:\Amazon\HOLDFILEEXPORT.xls", 1)

$oExcel = _ExcelBookAttach("C:\Amazon\HOLDFILEEXPORT.xls")
_ExcelRowInsert($oExcel, 1, 1)
Sleep(10)
_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "order-id", 1, 1)
Sleep(10)
_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "order-item-id", 1, 2)
Sleep(10)
_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "quantity", 1, 3)
Sleep(10)
_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "ship-date", 1, 4)
Sleep(10)
_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "carrier-code", 1, 5)
Sleep(10)
_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "carrier-name", 1, 6)
Sleep(10)
_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "tracking-number", 1, 7)
Sleep(10)
_ExcelWriteCell($oExcel, "ship-method", 1, 8)
Sleep(10)
_ExcelBookClose($oExcel)

A true renaissance man

There is an extended Excel UDF available called with many useful functions extending the functionality of the UDF that comes with AutoIt.

Function _ExcelNumberFormat should do what you want.

Example: _ExcelNumberFormat($l_ExcelReport,"@","A1:A65536") formats the specified range as text.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

Attckdog,

Find a better behaved copy of Excel...if it was working before the headers then the cell format changed.

kylomas

Edit: whoops, too slow, water beat me in...good luck!!

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

There is an extended Excel UDF available called with many useful functions extending the functionality of the UDF that comes with AutoIt.

Function _ExcelNumberFormat should do what you want.

Example: _ExcelNumberFormat($l_ExcelReport,"@","A1:A65536") formats the specified range as text.

Thanks for info. I can use it in the future too.

Do you know how to reformat whole column? How to specify range for whole column?

_ExcelNumberFormat($l_ExcelReport,"@","A1:A65536") ; formats the specified range as text.

#5 ·  Posted (edited)

I'm not at my windows PC at the moment but IIRC you specify a column (e.g. column A ) as "A:A"

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

@Attckdog

I don't get why you insist of going thru Excel (causing issues) just for the purpose of inserting a header line in a .CSV

First, AFAICT Amazon delivers CSV files with headers. At least it was the case until recently where we stopped selling there.

Now, if ever the CSV files you get miss the header line and all you want in the first place is have it, why not just prepending it to the CSV? That's 5 lines of code.

Finally, I guess you're going to process your CSV file somehow, presumably with AutoIt. If that's the case you don't even need the first step.

In any case, be warned that all platforms (Amazon, Paypal, eBay, YouNameIt) have great fun changing their CSV columns, headers and even semantics from time to time without any prior nor post notice. That means that you'll have to sanitize this kind of input with extreme caution at the risk of processing wrongly interpreted data, up to random garbage.

OMG I was talking about CSVs, but Amazon delivers TSV (tab separated values). That makes no difference anyway.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

@Attckdog

I don't get why you insist of going thru Excel (causing issues) just for the purpose of inserting a header line in a .CSV

OMG I was talking about CSVs, but Amazon delivers TSV (tab separated values). That makes no difference anyway.

Yeah I just use the excel method because most of my experience with Autoit is in processing information from excel files.

So my first thing to attempt was to use what I already knew how to do.

What all would i use to edit the file in autoit without using excel stuff? I haven't done anything like that without excel files.

I'm not worried about the headers changing in Amazon because in the event of something not working properly it will just fail.

I'm only using these files to confirm with the tracking numbers. I will have to baby sit the script any how so no worries.

A true renaissance man

Thanks water for the help. I eventually got the excel method to work.

After looking at the finished product I decided to scrap it. jchd was quite right. I was taking the hardest route.

After reading up on processing text files I found it was actually quite easy.

Here is the code I whipped up to use in place of what I was using.

Anyone is welcome to use it.

#include<File.au3>
Local $ReadFileArray
_FileReadToArray(@ScriptDir & "\Test.txt", $ReadFileArray)
FileWrite(@ScriptDir & "\TestResult!.txt", "order-id order-item-id quantity ship-date carrier-code carrier-name tracking-number ship-method" & @CRLF)
$file = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "\TestResult!.txt", 1)
_FileWriteFromArray($file, $ReadFileArray, 1)
FileClose($file)

This will Make the confirmation file i needed with the desired column heads.

/Thead

A true renaissance man

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• willichan
      By willichan
      Here is another one from my archives that filled a specific need.

Here is the back story if you are interested.

Keep in mind that I wrote this script over 3 years ago, so it may not compile or run directly without some minor tweaks.  It also requires the use of GraphViz to build the graph.
      #cs ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Project Name: ExcelLinksMapper Description: Analyse an Excel file's links and map them out. Creation Date: 9/26/2014 AutoIt Version: Author: willichan Requires: Graphviz (http://graphviz.org/) #ce ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1) ;0=no, 1=require pre-declare Opt("TrayAutoPause", 0) ;0=no pause, 1=Pause Opt("TrayMenuMode", 0) ;0=append, 1=no default menu, 2=no automatic check, 4=menuitemID not return Opt("TrayIconHide", 0) ;0=show, 1=hide tray icon Global Const $MyName=StringLeft(@ScriptName, StringInStr(@ScriptName,".", 0, -1)-1) ;get just the name portion of the script/exe name Global Const $MyMutex=$MyName & "-82243BEBC30533A3" ;name the mutex for this app Global $SQLloaded = False Global $sDbName = @ScriptDir & "\db2gv.db" ConsoleWrite($sDbName & @crlf) If _MutexExists($MyMutex) Then Exit #include <SQLite.au3> #include <SQLite.dll.au3> #include <file.au3> #include <array.au3> #include <excel.au3> _ConfigInitialize() _Main() Func _ConfigInitialize() OnAutoItExitRegister("_ConfigDestroy") ;initializers here Global $sSQliteDll = _SQLite_Startup() If @error Then MsgBox(0, "SQLite Error", "could not load the DLL") Global $sSQLiteDB = _SQLite_Open($sDbName) If $sSQLiteDB = 0 Then MsgBox(0, "SQLite Error", "could not open the database") $SQLloaded =True __CreateTables() EndFunc ;==>_ConfigInitialize Func _ConfigDestroy() ;destructors here If $SQLloaded Then _SQLite_Close() _SQLite_Shutdown() EndIf EndFunc ;==>_ConfigDestroy Func _MutexExists($sOccurenceName) Local $ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS = 183, $handle, $lastError $sOccurenceName = StringReplace($sOccurenceName, "\", "") $handle = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "CreateMutex", "int", 0, "long", 1, "str", $sOccurenceName) $lastError = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "GetLastError") Return $lastError[0] = $ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS EndFunc ;==>_MutexExists Func __CreateTables() _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS nodes;") _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS nodes( name TEXT PRIMARY KEY, fileexists INTEGER);") _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS links;") _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS links( id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, name1 TEXT, name2 TEXT, weight INTEGER);") EndFunc Func _Main() Local $sInfile, $vResult, $iErrLoop $sInfile = FileOpenDialog("Source File", @WorkingDir, "Excel files (*.xl*)", 1 + 2) If Not FileExists($sInfile) Then MsgBox(0, "Excel Links Mapper Error", "Unable to locate source file") Exit EndIf $vResult = $SQLITE_IOERR $iErrLoop = 5 While $vResult = $SQLITE_IOERR $vResult = _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "INSERT OR IGNORE INTO nodes ('name', 'fileexists') VALUES (" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sInfile) & ", 1);") If Not $vResult = $SQLITE_OK Then Sleep(100) $iErrLoop -= 1 If $iErrLoop = 0 Then ConsoleWrite($iErrLoop & " tries" & @CRLF & $sInfile & @CRLF) $vResult = $SQLITE_OK EndIf WEnd _GetExcelLinks($sInfile) Global $hOutfile = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "\" & $MyName & ".gv", 2) If $hOutfile = -1 Then MsgBox(0, $MyName & " ERROR", "Unable to upen file for output") Exit EndIf _WriteHeader() _WriteNodes() _WriteLinks() _WriteFooter() FileClose($hOutfile) _GenerateGraph() ShellExecute(@ScriptDir & '\ExcelLinksMapper.png') EndFunc ;==>_Main Func _GetExcelLinks($strFileName) Local $hQuery, $aCount, $iErrLoop, $vResult ConsoleWrite($strFileName & @CRLF) Local $iLoop, $iExists Local $aLinks Local Const $xlExcelLinks = 1 Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open() Local $ret = _Excel_BookOpen_NoUpdate($oExcel, $strFileName, True, True) Local $err = @error If $err Then If Not IsObj($oExcel) Then ConsoleWrite($ret & " - " & $err & @CRLF) Exit EndIf EndIf $aLinks = $oExcel.ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources($xlExcelLinks) _Excel_BookClose($oExcel, False) _Excel_Close($oExcel, False, True) If IsArray($aLinks) Then If UBound($aLinks) > 0 Then For $iLoop = 0 To UBound($aLinks) - 1 If $aLinks[$iLoop] <> $strFileName Then $iExists = FileExists($aLinks[$iLoop]) ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - Calling WriteNode()") __WriteNode($aLinks[$iLoop], $iExists) ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - Calling WriteLink()") __WriteLink($strFileName, $aLinks[$iLoop]) If $iExists And ($aLinks[$iLoop] <> $strFileName) Then _GetExcelLinks($aLinks[$iLoop]) EndIf Next EndIf EndIf EndFunc ;==>_GetExcelLinks Func __WriteNode($sName, $iExists) Local $iErrLoop = 5 ;Number of attempts to make Local $vResult Do ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - WriteNode()" & @CRLF & " _SQLite_Exec(INSERT OR IGNORE INTO nodes ('name', 'fileexists') VALUES (" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName) & ", " & $iExists & ");) - create node entry" & @CRLF) $vResult = _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "INSERT OR IGNORE INTO nodes ('name', 'fileexists') VALUES (" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName) & ", " & $iExists & ");") If Not $vResult = $SQLITE_OK Then Sleep(100) $iErrLoop -= 1 If $iErrLoop = 0 Then $vResult = $SQLITE_OK ;Used up all our attempts, so simulate a success Until $vResult = $SQLITE_OK EndFunc ;==>__WriteNode Func __WriteLink($sName1, $sName2) Local $iErrLoop = 5 ;Number of attempts to make Local $vResult, $hQuery, $vCount ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - WriteNode()" & @CRLF & " _SQLite_Query(SELECT weight FROM links WHERE 'name1'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName1) & " AND 'name2'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName2) & ";) - lookup link entry" & @CRLF) _SQLite_Query($sSQLiteDB, "SELECT weight FROM links WHERE 'name1'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName1) & " AND 'name2'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName2) & ";", $hQuery) ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - _SQLite_FetchData()" & @CRLF) _SQLite_FetchData($hQuery, $vCount) If UBound($vCount) > 1 Then _ArrayDisplay($vCount) If $SQLITE_OK And UBound($vCount) > 1 Then $vCount = $vCount[1] + 1 Else $vCount = 1 EndIf Do If $vCount = 1 Then ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - _SQLite_Exec() - create link entry" & @CRLF) $vResult = _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "INSERT INTO links ('name1', 'name2', 'weight') VALUES (" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName1) & ", " & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName2) & ", " & $vCount & ");") Else ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - _SQLite_Exec() - update link entry" & @CRLF) $vResult = _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "UPDATE links SET 'weight'=" & $vCount & " WHERE 'name1'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName1) & " AND 'name2=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName2) & ";") EndIf If Not $vResult = $SQLITE_OK Then Sleep(100) $iErrLoop -= 1 If $iErrLoop = 0 Then $vResult = $SQLITE_OK ;Used up all our attempts, so simulate a success Until $vResult = $SQLITE_OK EndFunc ;==>__WriteLink ; #FUNCTION# ==================================================================================================================== ; Author ........: SEO <locodarwin at yahoo dot com> ; Modified.......: litlmike, water, GMK, willichan ; =============================================================================================================================== Func _Excel_BookOpen_NoUpdate($oExcel, $sFilePath, $bReadOnly = Default, $bVisible = Default, $sPassword = Default, $sWritePassword = Default) If Not IsObj($oExcel) Or ObjName($oExcel, 1) <> "_Application" Then Return SetError(1, @error, 0) If Not FileExists($sFilePath) Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0) If $bReadOnly = Default Then $bReadOnly = False If $bVisible = Default Then $bVisible = True ;; changing the second parameter on the following line to a 0 tells Excel not to update any links. Local $oWorkbook = $oExcel.Workbooks.Open($sFilePath, 0, $bReadOnly, Default, $sPassword, $sWritePassword) If @error Then Return SetError(3, @error, 0) $oExcel.Windows($oWorkbook.Name).Visible = $bVisible ; If a read-write workbook was opened read-only then return an error If $bReadOnly = False And $oWorkbook.Readonly = True Then Return SetError(4, 0, $oWorkbook) Return $oWorkbook EndFunc ;==>_Excel_BookOpen_NoUpdate Func _GenerateGraph() RunWait(@ScriptDir & '\GraphViz238\bin\dot.exe -Tpng "' & @ScriptDir & '\' & $MyName & '.gv" -o "' & @ScriptDir & '\ExcelLinksMapper.png"') EndFunc ;==>_GenerateGraph Func _WriteHeader() __OutLine(0, "digraph main {") EndFunc ;==>_WriteHeader Func _WriteNodes() Local $aResult, $iRows, $iColumns, $iRval Local $iLoop, $sStyle __OutLine(1, "// Nodes") $iRval = _SQLite_GetTable($sSQLiteDB, "SELECT name, fileexists FROM nodes;", $aResult, $iRows, $iColumns) If @error Then ConsoleWrite("_WriteNodes()" & @CRLF & "_SQLite_GetTable") If $iRval = $SQLITE_OK Then For $iLoop = 1 To $iRows If $aResult[($iLoop * 2) + 2] > 0 Then $sStyle = "normal" Else $sStyle = "missing" EndIf __OutNode($aResult[1 + (2 * $iLoop)], $sStyle) ;; Next Else MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "SQLite Error: " & $iRval, _SQLite_ErrMsg() & @CRLF & "in _WriteNotes() calling _SQLite_GetTable()") Exit EndIf EndFunc ;==>_WriteNodes Func __OutNode($sName, $sStyle = Default) If $sStyle = Default Then $sStyle = "Normal" Switch StringLower($sStyle) Case "missing" __OutLine(1, __MakeName($sName) & ' [label="' & StringReplace($sName, "\", "\\") & '",color=red,fontcolor=red,shape=octagon];') Case Else ;"normal", Default __OutLine(1, __MakeName($sName) & ' [label="' & StringReplace($sName, "\", "\\") & '",color=black,fontcolor=black,shape=box];') EndSwitch EndFunc ;==>__OutNode Func _WriteLinks() Local $aResult, $iRows, $iColumns, $iRval Local $iLoop, $sStyle, $aCount __OutLine(1, "// Links") $iRval = _SQLite_GetTable($sSQLiteDB, "SELECT name1, name2 FROM links ORDER BY name1 ASC, name2 ASC;", $aResult, $iRows, $iColumns) If $iRval = $SQLITE_OK Then For $iLoop = 1 To $iRows __OutLink($aResult[1 + (2 * $iLoop)], $aResult[2 + (2 * $iLoop)]) Next Else MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "SQLite Error: " & $iRval, _SQLite_ErrMsg()) Exit EndIf EndFunc ;==>_WriteLinks Func __OutLink($sName1, $sName2, $iWeight = 1) __OutLine(1, __MakeName($sName1) & ' -> ' & __MakeName($sName2) & ';') EndFunc ;==>__OutLink Func _WriteFooter() __OutLine(0, "}") EndFunc ;==>_WriteFooter Func __OutLine($iTabs, $sText) Local $iLoop If $iTabs > 0 Then For $iLoop = 1 To $iTabs FileWrite($hOutfile, " ") ;ConsoleWrite(" ") Next EndIf FileWriteLine($hOutfile, $sText) EndFunc ;==>__OutLine Func __MakeName($sText) Local $sNewName = StringReplace($sText, "\", " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, "/", " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, "'", " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, '"', " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, ':', " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, '.', " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, '-', " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, '$', " ") $sNewName = StringStripWS($sNewName, 8) Return StringLower($sNewName) EndFunc ;==>__MakeName  
    • Dimmae
      By Dimmae
      Hello,
      at first: i'm new here, so please forgive me my mistakes, and show them to me, just that i can learn to do better in the future.
      Now to my Problem: i have an excel sheet, where i just need some columns for further actions, but i have no idea how to add single columns to a new array.
      I found the following code(the one i just added as a file) from 'water' in this forum, but i wont get how i could add multiple columns into a new array.
      The biggest problem in my situation is that i dont know the count of the rows i need for the array, i just got a fix number of rows, which is 4.

Hope you can help me, and sry again for this 'unlucky illustration'.

btw: how can i add code shown as code here, instead of posting it as a attached file?.

autoit-select-column.au3
      defects.xlsx
    • LoneWolf_2106
      By LoneWolf_2106
      Hi,
      i have an error:
      ==> The requested action with this object has failed.: $iRowCount = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells($oRangeLast.Row, $oRangeLast.Column)).Rows.Count $iRowCount = .Range(^ ERROR  
      My code is:
      $oRangeLast = .UsedRange.SpecialCells($xlCellTypeLastCell) Sleep(1000) $iRowCount = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells($oRangeLast.Row, $oRangeLast.Column)).Rows.Count Sleep(1000) _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook_1, $oWorkbook_1.ActiveSheet,$aFileList[$i][2] , "AB3:AB"&$iRowCount) I have added some sleep because the application was crashing more often before, so i thought to slow down the code execution.
      But i didn't solve the issue.
      Has anyone an idea of what the problem might be?
      Thanks in advance.
    • Shirdish_chakravarthi
      By Shirdish_chakravarthi
      Hello Guys this is my gui and i need the numeric value typed in the highlighted  inputbox. if this value is greater than 1 i need to perform some operations
      \

Here is the summary about that field which i got from wininfo tool

i tried writing the code as shown below.. but the msgbox is popping up empty value..when the same code is pasted under some button action i am able to access the value present in the field..but when placed alone as written in the attached script i am unable to fetch it... 

here i am using the valu present in the field

can you guys tell me what's wrong??? or how can i get that value?

My_GUI.au3

• Shirdish_chakravarthi
      By Shirdish_chakravarthi
      in need the path/text present int above shown input box to be copied or retrieved into a variable .. how can i do that?

Thanks