[Solved]Problems writing text to a file

This line was originally used instead of the FileOpen and FileWrite commands

_WinAPI_WriteFile($hFile, DllStructGetPtr($tBuffer), StringLen($sText), $nBytes)

But WinAPI would only erase my prev text.

But FileOpen and FileWrite doesn't work.

The file is generated, but no text is inserted.

#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <Date.au3>
DirCreate("C:\Inventory\Log")
Global $sFile, $hFile, $sText, $nBytes, $tBuffer
$aDato = _Date_Time_GetSystemTime()
$Dato = _Date_Time_SystemTimeToArray($aDato)
_WriteToLog("Topic", "text")
_WriteToLog("Topic2", "text2")

Func _WriteToLog($labelname, $Recv)
$sFile = 'C:\Inventory\Log\' & $dato[2] & $dato[0] & $dato[1] & '.log'
$sText = '' & $labelname & ' | ' & $Recv & ' ' & @CRLF & ''
$tBuffer = DllStructCreate("byte[" & StringLen($sText) & "]")
DllStructSetData($tBuffer, 1, $sText)
$hFile = _WinAPI_CreateFile($sFile, 1)
FileOpen($sFile, 1)
FileWrite($sFile, $sText)
_WinAPI_CloseHandle($hFile)
ConsoleWrite('1) ' & FileRead($sFile) & @CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_WriteToLog

Thanks for all help =)

Edited by Akarillon

Challenge accepted!

You don't need any of the _WinAPI items inside the function to write to the file, it's possible that because you opened it twice, the second one failed and the file is locked for writing. Try this:

#include <WinAPI.au3>
#include <Date.au3>
DirCreate("C:InventoryLog")
Global $sFile, $hFile, $sText, $nBytes, $tBuffer
$aDato = _Date_Time_GetSystemTime()
$Dato = _Date_Time_SystemTimeToArray($aDato)
_WriteToLog("Topic", "text")
_WriteToLog("Topic2", "text2")

Func _WriteToLog($labelname, $Recv)
    $sFile = 'C:InventoryLog' & $Dato[2] & $Dato[0] & $Dato[1] & '.log'
    $sText = '' & $labelname & ' | ' & $Recv & ' ' & @CRLF & ''
    $somevariable = FileOpen($sFile, 1)
    FileWrite($somevariable, $sText)
    FileClose($somevariable)
    ConsoleWrite('1) ' & FileRead($sFile) & @CRLF)
EndFunc

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Why would you use the _WinAPI_* functions? For performance reasons?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2021-06-05 - Version 1.5.4.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (NEW 2021-06-14 - Version 1.6.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (NEW 2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (2019-12-03 - Version 1.5.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It's in the help file, section "Remarks": Opening a file in write mode creates the file if it does not exist.

Depending on the number of records you want to write to the log I would suggest to open the log at the beginning of the script and close it before you exit. This will improve performance because opening/closing a file is quite expensive.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2021-06-05 - Version 1.5.4.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (NEW 2021-06-14 - Version 1.6.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (NEW 2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (2019-12-03 - Version 1.5.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

It's in the help file, section "Remarks": Opening a file in write mode creates the file if it does not exist.

Depending on the number of records you want to write to the log I would suggest to open the log at the beginning of the script and close it before you exit. This will improve performance because opening/closing a file is quite expensive.

I am adding from 20-3000 entries, so performance would be nice :oops:

Challenge accepted!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EmilyLove
      I have a string containing the full path of an executable and an array of executables without their paths. I am trying to compare the string to the list in the array and if a match is found, remove it from the array. The entry get removed from the array successfully, and after checking its return result, uses it to update the ubound if it succeeded, but it doesn't want to update to the new value. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? It acts like it is read-only.
      #include <Array.au3> #include <File.au3> Local $sApp_Exe = "F:\App\Nextcloud\nextcloud.exe" Local $aWaitForEXEX = [3, "Nextcloud.exe", "nextcloudcmd.exe", "QtWebEngineProcess.exe"] For $h = 1 To $aWaitForEXEX[0] If StringInStr($sApp_Exe, $aWaitForEXEX[$h]) <> 0 Then $iRet = _ArrayDelete($aWaitForEXEX, $h) If $iRet <> -1 Then $aWaitForEXEX[0] = $iRet ;this line doesn't work. $aWaitForEXEX[0] doesn't update and shortly gives Error: Array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.: _ArrayDisplay($aWaitForEXEX) EndIf Next  
    • By MrKm
      AutoIT-OCRSpace-UDF1.3.zip
      This tiny yet powerful UDF will help you to convert Images to text with the help of  OCRSpace API version 3.50 .
      Detect text from a local file.
      ; ========================================================= ; Example 2 : Gets text from an image from a local path reference ; : Searchable PDF is not requested by default. ; : Processes it using a basic OCR logic. ; ========================================================= $b_Create_Searchable_PDF = True ; Use a table logic for receipt OCR $b_Table = True ; Set your key here. $v_OCRSpaceAPIKey = "" $OCROptions = _OCRSpace_SetUpOCR($v_OCRSpaceAPIKey, 1, $b_Table, True, "eng", True, Default, Default, $b_Create_Searchable_PDF) $sText_Detected = _OCRSpace_ImageGetText($OCROptions, @scriptdir & "\receipt.jpg", 0, "SEARCHABLE_URL") ConsoleWrite( _ " Detected text : " & $sText_Detected & @CRLF & _ " Error Returned : " & @error & @CRLF & _ " PDF URL : " & Eval("SEARCHABLE_URL") & @CRLF)  
      Detect text from a URL reference.
      ; ========================================================= ; Example 1 : Gets text from an image using a url reference ; : Searchable PDF is not requested. ; : Processes it using a basic OCR logic. ; ========================================================= $v_OCRSpaceAPIKey = "" ; SetUp some preferences.. $OCROptions = _OCRSpace_SetUpOCR($v_OCRSpaceAPIKey, 1, False, True, "eng", True, Default, Default, False) ; Make the request.. $sText_Detected = _OCRSpace_ImageGetText($OCROptions, "https://i.imgur.com/vbYXwJm.png", 0) ConsoleWrite( _ " Detected text : " & $sText_Detected & @CRLF & _ " Error Returned : " & @error & @CRLF)    
      Detect text from a URL reference to an array
      #include "OCRSpaceUDF\_OCRSpace_UDF.au3" #include <array.au3> ; Set your key here. $v_OCRSpaceAPIKey = "" $OCROptions = _OCRSpace_SetUpOCR($v_OCRSpaceAPIKey, 1, $b_Table, True, "eng", True, Default, Default, False) ; Below, the return type is set to 1 to return an array containing the coordinates of the bounding boxes for each word detected, ; in the format : #WordDetected , #Left , #Top , 3Height, #Width $aText_Detected = _OCRSpace_ImageGetText($OCROptions, "https://i.imgur.com/Z1enogD.jpeg", 1) _ArrayDisplay($aText_Detected, "")  

https://github.com/KabueMurage/AutoIT-OCRSpace-UDF
      Download Latest Version : 

• By kovlad
      My solution is to write nested arrays without copying.
      The problem was described hier.

Function:
      #include <Array.au3> ; #FUNCTION# ==================================================================================================================== ; Name ..........: _ArrayNestedSet ; Description ...: Assigns a value to an element of a nested 1D array. ; Syntax ........: _ArrayNestedSet(ByRef $aArray, $vIndex, $vValue) ; Parameters ....: $aArray - an array of arrays. ; $vIndex - an index or 1d-array of indexes; ; a size if $vValue not defined (zero to delete). ; $vValue - a value (create, resize or delete if not defined). ; ; Return values .: on success - 1 ; @extended - nesting level of operation ; on failure - 0 ; @extended - nesting level of error ; @error = 1 - invalid array ; @error = 2 - invalid index ; Author ........: ; Modified ......: kovlad ; Remarks .......: ; Related .......: ; Link ..........: https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/185638-assign-a-value-to-an-array-in-array-element/ ; https://www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/ticket/3515?replyto=description ; Example .......: Yes ; =============================================================================================================================== Func _ArrayNestedSet(ByRef $aArray, $vIndex, $vValue = Default) Local $extended = @extended + 1 If IsArray($vIndex) Then If UBound($vIndex, 0) <> 1 Then _ Return SetError(2, $extended) If UBound($vIndex) > 1 Then If UBound($aArray, 0) <> 1 Then _ Return SetError(1, $extended) ; keep index for this array Local $i = $vIndex[0] If $i < 0 Or UBound($aArray) <= $i Then _ Return SetError(2, $extended) ; delete index of this array _ArrayDelete($vIndex, 0) ; recursive function call Local $return = _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[$i], $vIndex, $vValue) If @error Then Return SetError(@error, @extended + 1, 0) Else Return SetExtended(@extended + 1, 1) EndIf Else $vIndex = $vIndex[0] EndIf EndIf If $vValue = Default Then If $vIndex < 0 Then _ Return SetError(2, $extended) If $vIndex = 0 Then ; delete array and free memory $aArray = 0 Return SetExtended($extended, 1) EndIf If UBound($aArray, 0) = 1 Then ; resize array keeping data ReDim $aArray[$vIndex] Return SetExtended($extended, 1) Else ; create new nested array Local $aTmp[$vIndex] $aArray = $aTmp Return SetExtended($extended, 1) EndIf Else If UBound($aArray) <= $vIndex Then _ Return SetError(2, $extended + 1) ; set value of array entry $aArray[$vIndex] = $vValue Return SetExtended($extended, 1) EndIf EndFunc  
      Examples:
      ; write value to 1st nested array ConsoleWrite("@@ Debug(" & @ScriptLineNumber & ") : write value to 1st nested array" & @CRLF) Local $aTmp1[4] = [1,2,3,4] _ArrayDisplay($aTmp1, "$aTmp1") Local $aArray[2] = [$aTmp1] ConsoleWrite( _ "_ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], 3, 14) = " & _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], 3, 14) & @CRLF & _ " @error = " & @error & @CRLF & _ " @extended = " & @extended & @CRLF & @CRLF) _ArrayDisplay($aArray[0], "$aArray[0]") ; resize 1st nested array ConsoleWrite("@@ Debug(" & @ScriptLineNumber & ") : resize 1st nested array" & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite( _ "_ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], 8) = " & _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], 8) & @CRLF & _ " @error = " & @error & @CRLF & _ " @extended = " & @extended & @CRLF & @CRLF) _ArrayDisplay($aArray[0], "$aArray[0]") ; write array to 1st nested array ConsoleWrite("@@ Debug(" & @ScriptLineNumber & ") : write array to 1st nested array" & @CRLF) Local $aTmp11[4] = [11,12,13,14] _ArrayDisplay($aTmp11, "$aTmp11") ConsoleWrite( _ "_ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], 2, $aTmp11) = " & _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], 2, $aTmp11) & @CRLF & _ " @error = " & @error & @CRLF & _ " @extended = " & @extended & @CRLF & @CRLF) _ArrayDisplay(($aArray[0])[2], "($aArray[0])[2]") ; write value to 2nd nested array using index array ConsoleWrite("@@ Debug(" & @ScriptLineNumber & ") : write value to 2nd nested array using index array" & @CRLF) Local $aIndex1[2] = [2,3] _ArrayDisplay($aIndex1, "$aIndex1") ConsoleWrite( _ "_ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex1, 140) = " & _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex1, 140) & @CRLF & _ " @error = " & @error & @CRLF & _ " @extended = " & @extended & @CRLF & @CRLF) _ArrayDisplay(($aArray[0])[2], "($aArray[0])[2]") ; resize 2nd nested array ConsoleWrite("@@ Debug(" & @ScriptLineNumber & ") : resize 2nd nested array" & @CRLF) Local $aIndex1[2] = [2,8] _ArrayDisplay($aIndex1, "$aIndex1") ConsoleWrite( _ "_ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex1) = " & _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex1) & @CRLF & _ " @error = " & @error & @CRLF & _ " @extended = " & @extended & @CRLF & @CRLF) _ArrayDisplay(($aArray[0])[2], "($aArray[0])[2]") ; create new 3rd nested array ConsoleWrite("@@ Debug(" & @ScriptLineNumber & ") : create new 3rd nested array" & @CRLF) Local $aIndex2[3] = [2,7,6] _ArrayDisplay($aIndex2, "$aIndex2") ConsoleWrite( _ "_ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex2) = " & _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex2) & @CRLF & _ " @error = " & @error & @CRLF & _ " @extended = " & @extended & @CRLF & @CRLF) _ArrayDisplay((($aArray[0])[2])[7], ")($aArray[0])[2])[7]") ; delete 3rd nested array ConsoleWrite("@@ Debug(" & @ScriptLineNumber & ") : delete 3rd nested array" & @CRLF) Local $aIndex3[3] = [2,7,0] _ArrayDisplay($aIndex3, "$aIndex2") ConsoleWrite( _ "_ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex3) = " & _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex3) & @CRLF & _ " @error = " & @error & @CRLF & _ " @extended = " & @extended & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("IsArray((($aArray[0])[2])[7]) = " & IsArray((($aArray[0])[2])[7]) & @CRLF & @CRLF) ; write 0 in 1st nested array to delete the 2nd nested array ConsoleWrite("@@ Debug(" & @ScriptLineNumber & ") : write 0 in 1st nested array to delete the 2nd nested array" & @CRLF) Local $aIndex4[1] = [2] _ArrayDisplay($aIndex4, "$aIndex4") ConsoleWrite( _ "_ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex4, 0) = " & _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex4, 0) & @CRLF & _ " @error = " & @error & @CRLF & _ " @extended = " & @extended & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("IsArray(($aArray[0])[2]) = " & IsArray(($aArray[0])[2]) & @CRLF & @CRLF) ; delete 1st nested array (same as '$aArray[0] = 0') ConsoleWrite("@@ Debug(" & @ScriptLineNumber & ") : delete 1st nested array (same as '$aArray[0] = 0')" & @CRLF) Local $aIndex5[1] = [0] _ArrayDisplay($aIndex5, "$aIndex5") ConsoleWrite( _ "_ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex5) = " & _ArrayNestedSet($aArray[0], $aIndex5) & @CRLF & _ " @error = " & @error & @CRLF & _ " @extended = " & @extended & @CRLF) ConsoleWrite("IsArray($aArray[0]) = " & IsArray($aArray[0]) & @CRLF & @CRLF)  
    • By lIlIIlIllIIIIlI
      $input = $CmdLine[1] $bytes = 1000000 ; 1000000 for 1 MB, 1000 for 1 KB $size = FileGetSize($input) $file = fileopen($input, 16) $max = ceiling($size / $bytes) for $i = 1 to $max $data = fileread($file, $bytes) $output = $input & '_' & $i & 'of' & $max filewrite($output, $data) next ^file split
      file path for a 20MB "video.mp4" is input, it will be output as "video.mp4_1of20", "video.mp4_2of20", etc. change $bytes to affect the split files size, this example made them 1MB (10^6 bytes)

$input = $CmdLine[1] $name = stringtrimright($input, 1 + stringlen($input) - stringinstr($input, '_', 0, -1)) $split = stringsplit($input, 'of', 3) $max = $split[ubound($split) - 1] for $i = 1 to $max $in = $name & '_' & $i & 'of' & $max $file = fileopen($in, 16) $data = fileread($file) fileclose($file) filedelete($in) filewrite($name, $data) next ^ file join
      file path for any of the "video.mp4_Xof20" segments is input. the "video.mp4_Xof20" segments are read and written to "video.mp4" and then deleted, leaving the newly joined "video.mp4" in the end

i made this today because i had a big file that i couldn't really open. i split it into 1000 chunks to make processing and stuff easier. i've also used it to split files to just under 25MB segments so i can attach and mail big files over gmail which is silly but it worked
    • By TheSaint
      I like and have been using TeraCopy, a third party program, for many years. Mostly it is a great program, but it does have some issues. On Windows XP for instance, Thumbs.db files could often hold up a copy or move process until the user manually responded to the error prompt. Some other issues I discuss below.
      PLEASE NOTE - I am not related to or affiliated in any way with the 3rd party TeraCopy program developers.
      ALSO NOTE - I myself have only tested TeraCopy Cure at this point, on Windows 7 (32 bit), and only with the free version of TeraCopy 2.27.
      This program, TeraCopy Cure, is related to another one of my TeraCopy assistant programs, TeraCopy Timer, but aims at being simpler and quicker to use ... if lacking its more advanced features.
      TeraCopy Cure is a frontend for TeraCopy and sets out to make up for its flaws and limitations.
      One of those flaws is queuing order, and the limitation relates to a same destination issue.
      You would think that queue order would be the same as add order, but that is not the case, and if you are doing a mix of COPY and MOVE then the COPY process could easily fail. It could fail with some source items, even if the  COPY process has already started before the same source MOVE process begins ... especially if the destination folder is on the source drive ... only the currently copying file is locked to that process.
      If you drag and drop another source for a same destination as an existing or impending COPY or MOVE process, then usually TeraCopy nicely adds it for you to that existing job. However, you might wish to avoid that, or it might occur during the testing phase of that active process, and then not be properly processed etc. But you are not given a choice and it just gets added.

HOW TO USE
      See the right-click menu of the 'Batch List' (lowest field) and the right-click menu of the Tree field, for some useful options.
      (1) If desired, enable 'Auto Start'. NOTE - Even if enabled, this can be bypassed.
      (2) Set the destination folder, either by browsing on the tree or by dragging a folder to the Destination input field or label. Right-clicking on a folder in Explorer will also work, if enabled. The destination folder path will also show in the Tree if that right-click option is enabled.
      (3) Then drag & drop source file or folder onto one of three five areas - Folder (Drive) Tree field, or COPY or MOVE buttons ... this now also includes the source input and label.
      NOTE - If the Folder (Drive) Tree field is used, then you will additionally need to click either the COPY or MOVE button, to have that job added to the Batch List ... but this avoids 'Auto Start' if it is enabled. Drag & dropping to the buttons instead, saves on clicking, but starts the first job etc immediately if 'Auto Start' is enabled.
      (4) If needed and ready, click the START button to run the first job and those that follow.
      More information is included in program and in the NOTES etc sections below.

WARNING - Depending on the amount of content on your destination drive, and folder level depth, and the speed of your PC, display of the full path in the Folder (Drive) Tree can take a while to show ... if you have that (right-click) option enabled ... it isn't by default. I found this feature quite tricky to get right, and I'm still not 100% sure it is now full-proof.
      TeraCopy Cure v1.5.zip  (source is included)
      TeraCopy Cure v1.6.zip  (source is included)
      NOTES
      UPDATES INFORMATION
      OLDER DOWNLOADS