Autoit devs: v3 syntax with the benefits of hindsight

Really? Where is it? :|

See the changelog for the latest beta versions.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

For me, removing $ from vars name is really not needed, and could lead our scripts to be more confusing.

Even if this feature is implemented, i'll never use it. So please, don't remove $!!! (just make it optional, i don't care!) Thanks

What should be added in my opinion is this

PS: it's only MY PERSONAL OPINION

Ciao

matwachich,

Did you actually read the changelog?

- Added: The $ prefix for variables is now optional and can be omitted entirely.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

For me, removing $ from vars name is really not needed, and could lead our scripts to be more confusing.

Even if this feature is implemented, i'll never use it. So please, don't remove $!!! (just make it optional, i don't care!) Thanks

$ will remain optional. I don't believe that Trancexx would come up with something like this if it did not have practical application or added functionality.

Edited by czardas

What should be added in my opinion is this

PS: it's only MY PERSONAL OPINION

The next time I want your opinion I will ask for it. Hint: I'm unlikely to ever ask for your opinion. Indeed, the fact that you feel the need to take this opportunity to try and promote an unoriginal idea and then spam it here in an unrelated thread is insulting. Do you not think we are capable of thinking of this idea on our own? Maybe it's not implemented in the language already for reasons you can't comprehend? Maybe it will be implemented when the time is right. Maybe everybody should STFU on new features and let the developers work for awhile and see what they give you instead of trying to tell us what you want. Surprisingly, we aren't stupid people.

Now, as for why $ is optional. It's really simple, it makes first-class functions look normal. It looks stupid calling a function through a variable prefixed with $ because in cases like that who gives a fuck if it's a variable or a real function? All you should care about is whether or not invoking it does the right thing.

1- I didn't told you are stupid

2- I know you work hard on this great tool that is AutoIt

3- If you don't want peoples opinions, close the feature request system in TRAC

4- It because, yes i don't understand the deep core of the language that i don't know what can be implemented easily and what cannot be. And this is why I ask, give MY OPINION, as a user of AutoIt.

5- I don't think this thread is unrelated because it's speeking about syntax, and my request was about syntax.

6- Understood for the $, it is clear to me now

Any way, thanks for reading me

PS: I'm not angry any way, I knew I would got an answer like this, from this person... ;):)

Edit: @guinness: yes i read the change log, I just told not to "completely" remove the $, if it's optional, it doesn't bother

Edited by matwachich

1- I didn't told you are stupid

There are more ways to insult somebody than just saying "you're stupid" to them.

3- If you don't want peoples opinions, close the feature request system in TRAC

Incredibly tempting.

4- It because, yes i don't understand the deep core of the language that i don't know what can be implemented easily and what cannot be. And this is why I ask, give MY OPINION,

Why do you keep placing capitalized emphasis on stating it's your opinion? I'm not interested in your opinion nor am I interested that you have an opinion.

as a user of AutoIt.

Meaning what, exactly? Do you realize that I am a user of AutoIt? Do you realize that trancexx is a user of AutoIt? Indeed, we both go further than that, we are users of other languages, too. We can see what problems AutoIt has. What features it lacks. I know it's shocking but we don't actually need your input at all.

5- I don't think this thread is unrelated because it's speeking about syntax, and my request was about syntax.

Well that's a strawman argument. Never-the-less, what this thread is about is not "What feature do you want to see in AutoIt" but rather, "What would you change about AutoIt if you had the chance to do it all over again". It was meant to be a thought exercise to which my reply is a not-so-subtle, "I do have the chance to do it all over again and in fact we are doing some things all over again so STFU".

Edit: @guinness: yes i read the change log, I just told not to "completely" remove the $, if it's optional, it doesn't bother

If I want it gone it will go. If I want it to stay it will stay. If I want to force all variables to be prefixed with "WowThisIsADumbPrefix" then I'll do it. At no point is getting told not to completely remove it a part of my decision unless I happen to be told that by Jon. Additionally, why would we go to all the trouble of making something optional if our intent was to remove it? Logically speaking, it's more work to support the presence and absence of something than it is to support the presence or absence of something.