Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SpiceGuy

StringSplit flag parameter not working correctly with 'Default' or '-1'

7 posts in this topic

The help file for StringSplit says that the default value for the flag parameter is 0. However, when I try to use keyword 'Default' or '-1' instead of setting the flag to 0, StringSplit behaves as though I set the flag to 2 (disable the return count in the first element).

Example:

#include <StringConstants.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Local $sTemp = "One|Two|Three"

;This version (correctly) shows the count of items in $aArray1[0], which is what should happen when the flag is set to 0
Local $aArray1 = StringSplit($sTemp,"|",0)
_ArrayDisplay($aArray1, "$aArray1")

;This version (incorrectly) shows "One" in $aArray2[0], as though the flag was set to 2. However the documentation says Default should be 0
Local $aArray2 = StringSplit($sTemp,"|",Default)
_ArrayDisplay($aArray2, "$aArray2")

;This version (incorrectly) shows "One" in $aArray3[0], as though the flag was set to 2. However the documentation says -1 should also leave the default value at 0
Local $aArray3 = StringSplit($sTemp,"|",-1)
_ArrayDisplay($aArray3, "$aArray3")

Am I doing something wrong, or is the help file incorrect?

Why do that when it's the last parameter anyway?

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 04/09/2015

In the Default help page, you can see :

When used in parameter passing, the behavior is specified in the corresponding AutoIt function documentation.

For UDF's, it is the scripter's responsibility to check if the parameter has been set to Default and to perform the desired behavior in this situation.

If used, the passed parameter will be set to the Default keyword and not to an optional parameter value, if defined.

Now, the helpfile does not say -1 is the default value, no more for Default.

So if you must specify this value in your code, try with Null instead of Default

Default keyword and -1 value appear not to be used in place of a blank parameter with some functions, but maybe it should ? It would make sense that this is the case for all functions, no ?

The default being parsed as -1 was a "bug" of sorts, now it's zero. As to your last question, it depends on the function. I would say default is not needed on the last parameter as it's the last parameter. Default is useful if you want to set the last parameter and just want to use the defaults in between.

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Why do that when it's the last parameter anyway?

I prefer to populate every parameter so that when I re-visit the code months or years later I know that the action was intentional and not just me accidentally missing a parameter.

In the Default help page, you can see :

When used in parameter passing, the behavior is specified in the corresponding AutoIt function documentation.

For UDF's, it is the scripter's responsibility to check if the parameter has been set to Default and to perform the desired behavior in this situation.

If used, the passed parameter will be set to the Default keyword and not to an optional parameter value, if defined.

Now, the helpfile does not say -1 is the default value, no more for Default.

So if you must specify this value in your code, try with Null instead of Default

Default keyword and -1 value appear not to be used in place of a blank parameter with some functions, but maybe it should ? It would make sense that this is the case for all functions, no ?

I guess I misread the help file (one of the drawbacks to being new to AutoIT, I guess). I saw "(default)" in the help file for StringSplit and assumed that meant I could use the keyword "Default". And I swear I saw something somewhere that said -1 was another way to specify a default value.

Here's the relevant section of the help file:

[optional] Changes how the string split works, add multiple flag values together if required:

$STR_CHRSPLIT (0) = each character in the delimiter string will mark where to split the string (default)

$STR_ENTIRESPLIT (1) = entire delimiter string is needed to mark the split

$STR_NOCOUNT (2) = disable the return count in the first element - effectively makes the array 0-based (must use UBound() to get the size of the array in this case).

Constants are defined in StringConstants.au3

I have now changed my code to use $STR_CHRSPLIT instead. Sorry for wasting your time!

I am aware of the help file for that function.

I am aware of the help file for that function.

I did not intend to imply that you were not - I was just trying to explain how I mis-interpreted what it was saying. The fault was entire on my end, and I apologize.