Proph

Windows 10 Universal Apps

4 posts in this topic

I know this is probably wishful thinking... but I have to ask...

I love autoit... I consider myself pretty good at scripting in autoit... and I have been lazy and procrastinate too much to dive in and learn something else like java or c#...

So since I heard that Windows 10 will now have Universal Apps which will be useable across all windows Platforms, it got my interested in finding out if Autoit is or will be useable to create Universal Apps?  I'm pretty sure the answer is no.  But I'm crossing my fingers I am wrong.

If it will not / cannot be used to create Universal Apps...

What language would you recommend that I dive into to learn to create Universal Apps? 

What language can give me the fun scripting techniques like autoit? 

What sites or places would you recommend as being a good place to learn this language?

Thanks!

Simple answer probably not, and as for language(s) >> https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/bg124288.aspx

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 04/09/2015

You're right, it is enormously doubtful and most likely just not going to happen.

Probably windows store apps in C# is what you're after, but don't take microsoft at their word that a universal app will work on any device, for a start you will still have to develop you app for multiple devices with a shared part of code, and only visual studio is supposed to be capable of that, and even then they could just scrap it all before W 10 official release.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Thanks for the input!  I think I might get myself into a couple C# classes to get started then.  I hope Microsoft does stick to what they are saying with universal apps.  I think it is exactly the boost Windows needs to catch up with competitors.  I personally like the Windows Phone and Tablets... but they just don't seem to have enough apps.  I think the universal apps will be a huge step in the right direction.  If they keep their promises with Windows 10 I think it will finally be Microsoft's big leap in the mobile market. I really like the idea of apps being useable on the Xbox One as well.