Ahile07

Opening word in background

15 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to open a document with _WordDocOpen and replace some text in it with _Word_DocFindReplace and then print with _Word_DocPrint and finally close with _Word_DocClose and kill word with _Word_Quit. Works perfectly.

My question is (can't find an answer anywhere): Can i do those commands in the background so i don't see word opening and replacing everything? Can't find anything in the proprieties of "WordDocOpen".

Thank you.

Flo

_Word_DocOpen doesn't include support for the "visible" parameter of the Documents.Open method that the function is wrapping. To add that you'd need to add 2 parameters to this line.

Local $oDoc = $oAppl.Documents.Open($sFilePath, $bConfirmConversions, $bReadOnly, $bAddToRecentFiles, _
            $sOpenPassword, "", $bRevert, $sWritePassword, "", $iFormat)

After the $iformat parameter you'd need to add the Encoding parameter, and then either True or False for the visible parameter.

1 person likes this

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

If you use _Word_Create function first, then you can call it the first parameter as false. Then you can open a doc with _Word_DocOpen. You never see an instance of MSword because the application object is hidden. :) 

1 person likes this

My Contributions

UDF Link Viewer   --- A tool to visit the links of some most important UDFs 

Includer_2  ----- A tool to type the #include statement automatically 

Digits To Date  ----- date from 3 integer values

PrintList ----- prints arrays into console for testing.

Alert  ------ An alternative for MsgBox 

MousePosition ------- A simple tooltip display of mouse position

GRM Helper -------- A littile tool to help writing code with GUIRegisterMsg function

Access_UDF  -------- An UDF for working with access database files. (.*accdb only)

Thank you guys :)

I'll give it a go!

Works perfectly.

Thank you

Can anyone tell me if you have limitations of how many characthers you can send with _Word_DocFindReplace ?

I try to replace something with a quite long text but it won't do it. It gaves me an error.

Thank you in advance for your wise answers. I use the following code for replacing and it gives me error replacing the text

The value for the $inspection_equipment is = "Milos Raonic (born 1990) is a Canadian professional tennis player. He reached a career-high world No. 4 singlesranking in May 2015, as ranked by the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP). His career highlights include a Grand Slam final at the 2016 Wimbledon Championships and two Grand Slam semifinals at the 2014 Wimbledon Championships and 2016 Australian Open. " (just a dummy text from wikipedia)

_Word_DocFindReplace($oDoc, "Eechipament", $inspection_equipment, $WdReplaceAll, 0)
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocFindReplace Example","Error replacing text in the document." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

Cheers

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

P.S.

Want to mention that it works perfect if the $inspection_equipment = "test equipment" for example.

If i make the text from above shorter....works :(

Edited by Ahile07

There seems to be a limit of 255 characters: http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_pages/find_replace_long_string.html

1 person likes this

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (2016-08-18 - Version 1.4.6.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2016-07-20 - Version 1.2.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#10 ·  Posted (edited)

Thank you @water

Do you reckon i can make it work? (VBA bit)

Edited by Ahile07

You could test with _Word_DocFindReplace and pass "^c" as the replacement text as suggested in the web article.

1 person likes this

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (2016-08-18 - Version 1.4.6.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2016-07-20 - Version 1.2.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki
Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

This seems to work:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Word.au3>

Local $oWord = _Word_Create()
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocFindReplace Example", _
        "Error creating a new Word application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

Local $oDoc = _Word_DocOpen($oWord, "C:\Temp\Test.docx")
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocFindReplace Example", _
        "Error opening 'Test.docx'." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

ClipPut("This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!This is a test!12345678")
_Word_DocFindReplace($oDoc, "Line 1", "^c", $wdReplaceOne)
        "Error replacing text in the document." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocFindReplace Example", "Paragraph control character successfully replaced.")

1 person likes this

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki
Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

You're fast :))

Let me test it.

Cheers

@water you're the beste mate

Cheers

Works like a charm

i owe you one :)

:) Then simply click on the "Like this" button

1 person likes this

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki
Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki