Ahmed101

_Excel_BookAttach is too slow!

Ahmed101
Posted (edited)

I have more than 12 workbooks opened together, if i wanted to attach to the last workbook opened it will take more than 1 minute !
Is there any solution for that ?

Edited by Ahmed101

water

Depends on the code you run ;)

• Like 1

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2018-06-01 - Version 1.4.9.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2018-01-27 - Version 1.3.3.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Ahmed101

I am attaching to 12 workbooks and it takes a lot of time more than 2 minutes i think.
and the code is so simple, the attach is going by the Path Name :

$attach1 = _Excel_BookAttach(@Scriptdir&"\File1.xlsx")

if $attach1 = 0 Then
        MsgBox(64,"Error","Not attached")
        Exit
    EndIf

http://i.epvpimg.com/lwt6dab.png
Attaching to the last workbook opened will take a lot of time beside attaching to the first workbook.

FrancescoDiMuro

@Ahmed101, you could use a For...Next loop to attach workbook in an array of Workbooks :) I think it could be a little faster, and surely more compact :)

Best Regards.

• Like 1

Click here to see my signature:

Spoiler

I will always thank you for the time you spent for me.
I'm here to ask, and from your response, I'd like to learn.
By my knowledge, I can help someone else, and "that someone" could help in turn another, and so on.

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

In case I am violating some pseudo Forum rule, or I am doing something wrong, I want let you know that I'm not doing this on purpose, and for this, I kindly ask you to send me a private message about the "bad content" I posted, in order to edit/remove it, and to not be warned wrongly.
Thanks in advance.

Ahmed101

@FrancescoDiMuro Thanks for your reply bro,
Could you give me an example please ? because i think it's the same as the normal way.

FrancescoDiMuro
; Declare your Global array of Worbooks
Global $arrWorkbooks[10]

; Here, it dipends on how your workbooks are named...
; You can think to define an array of workbooks names, or just a prefix ( if they have same name, but are numbered )

For $i = 0 To UBound($arrWorkbooks) - 1
    $arrWorkbooks[$i] = _Excel_BookAttach()
    If @error Then
        ; Error Handling
    EndIf
Next

Something like this :)

• Like 1

Spoiler

By my knowledge, I can help someone else, and "that someone" could help in turn another, and so on.

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

In case I am violating some pseudo Forum rule, or I am doing something wrong, I want let you know that I'm not doing this on purpose, and for this, I kindly ask you to send me a private message about the "bad content" I posted, in order to edit/remove it, and to not be warned wrongly.
Thanks in advance.

water
$arrWorkbooks[$i] = _Excel_BookAttach()

Doesn't work. _Excel_BookAttach needs at least one parameter.

• Like 1

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2018-06-01 - Version 1.4.9.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2018-01-27 - Version 1.3.3.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

water

Ahmed101, which version of Excel do you run?

• Like 1

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

FrancescoDiMuro
Posted (edited)

Hey @water :)

I am writing from smartphone...

I thought that the parameters to be filled were implied :D

I know that you can't call that function without parameters.. 

Best Regards.

Edited by FrancescoDiMuro
  • Like 1

Spoiler

ALWAYS GOOD TO READ:

Thanks in advance.

Ahmed101

@water i am using Excel 2016 professional plus.
And _Excel_BookAttach() function is so slow even with the arrays way that doesn't make sense.

water

When you have a look at the Task Manager - how many Excel processes do you see?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Juvigy

How about if you use this code:

$oExcel = ObjGet("", "Excel.Application")
$oExcel.Application.Workbooks("book1.xls").Sheets(1).....

Is it faster?

water

I tested with 12 open workbooks and I can recreate the problem. It takes up to 45 seconds to access a workbook.

This is caused by the way ObjGet with index seems to work.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki