Sign in to follow this  
tuffgong

Excel format

Good morning. I have a system I am trying to automate that works like this: user fills a column in an Excel spreadsheet with values they would like printed and saves it to a folder on their desktop, they start the script and it formats their data into a text file (adding a prefix) and sends the text file as a .bch file where it needs to go. This is working:

#include <Array.au3>
#include <Excel.au3>
#include <File.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Global $sSTCArray
Global $sFilename = @DesktopDir & "\Labels\print.txt"
Global $sWorkbook = @DesktopDir & "\Labels\Labels.xlsx"
Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open(False,False,False,False,True)

barcodePrint()

Func barcodePrint()

$Read = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $sWorkbook, True, False, Default, Default, Default)
FileOpen($sFilename, $FO_OVERWRITE)

;Global $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookAttach($oExcel)

Global $sSTCArray = _Excel_RangeRead($Read)

For $i = 0 to UBound($sSTCArray, 1) - 1
    FileWriteLine($sFilename, "!StaticShelving1x3_ZPL," & $sSTCArray[$i])
Next

_Excel_Close($oExcel)

FileMove($sFilename, "***file path***\print.bch")

EndFunc

However, it only works if the user first formats the spreadsheet to text. I want to automate that. From what I have read it appears AutoIt does not like formatting cells that already have values. True? Can I pull the values from an un-formatted (default GENERAL format) spreadsheet and go straight to my text file? I have also considered opening a second spreadsheet, formatting it, and copying the values over. Like this:

Global $sPrefix
Global $oPath
Global $sSTCArray
Global $sFilename = @DesktopDir & "\Labels\print.txt"
Global $sWorkbook = @DesktopDir & "\Labels\Labels.xlsx"
Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open(False,False,False,False,True)
Global $aArray
Global $bExcel
_Excel_BookNew($bExcel)

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $Button1
            $aArray = IniReadSection("***File path***\barcode.ini", "stc/rvt/mgm")
            $sPrefix = $aArray[1][1]
            $oPath = $aArray[2][1]
            barcodePrint()

EndSwitch
WEnd

Func barcodePrint()

$oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($bExcel, @DesktopDir & "\Labels\print.xlsx")
    $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Columns("A").NumberFormat = "@"

Local $Read = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $sWorkbook, True, False, Default, Default, Default)
    $oCopy = _Excel_RangeRead($sWorkbook)
    _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, Default, $oCopy)
    FileOpen($sFilename, $FO_OVERWRITE)
    $sSTCArray = _Excel_RangeRead($Read,"Default","Default",3)
    ;_ArrayDisplay($sSTCArray)
    For $i = 0 to UBound($sSTCArray, 1) - 1
        FileWriteLine($sFilename, $sPrefix & $sSTCArray[$i])
    Next

_Excel_Close($oExcel)

;FileMove($sFilename, $oPath)

Exit

EndFunc

This does not like the formatting of $oWorkbook: "Variable must be of type 'Object'".  Do I need this second sheet? If so, how can I format it? Is there a better way to get the Excel values into a .txt file? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

tuffgong   I use this to pull all data from an excel spreadsheet to a text file.  

Global $oRange = $oWorkBook.ActiveSheet.Range("A1:A700").EntireRow

_Excel_RangeCopyPaste($oWorkBook.ActiveSheet, $oRange, Default)
$aResults = ClipGet()
$oWorkbook.Close
_Excel_Close($oExcel, Default, True)
Sleep (2000)
Do
    ProcessClose('excel.exe')
Until Not ProcessExists('excel.exe')

_FileCreate("Your file path and name")
FileOpen("Your file path and name", $FO_APPEND)
Sleep(1000)
FileWrite("Your file path and name", $aResults)

Hope this help you

Why do I get an error when I treat an open workbook as an Object? I am opening it incorrectly? In my original code these lines:

$oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($bExcel, @DesktopDir & "\Labels\print.xlsx")
$oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Columns("A").NumberFormat = "@"

gives me a "Variable must be of type 'Object'" error. In the example that xcaliber13 was kind enough to share I again get the same error on these lines:

Local $Read = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $sWorkbook, True, False, Default, Default, Default)
    Global $oRange = $sWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("A").EntireRow

I am unable to act on the workbook as an Object. Why?

Use _Excel_Open to start or connect to the Excel application. Then run _Excel_BookAttach to connect to an already opened workbook. 

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (2018-12-03 - Version 1.4.11.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2019-03-02 - Version 1.3.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-01-22 - Version 0.1.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
PowerPoint (2017-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:

ADO - Wiki

I like to pull excel data to an array - it is easy and fast one line of code:

$WorkArray = $oExcel.Application.Activeworkbook.Sheets("name").UsedRange.Value

Then you can easily manipulate it or just check it with the _array functions.

To start with the questions from your OP:

Q: However, it only works if the user first formats the spreadsheet to text.
A: What do you get when you read unformatted cells?
What do you mean by "format"? Formatting the content (font size, bold etc.) or the cell itself (color, border ...)?

Q: From what I have read it appears AutoIt does not like formatting cells that already have values. True?
A: No. If you define "formatting" we can tell you how to do.

Q: Can I pull the values from an un-formatted (default GENERAL format) spreadsheet and go straight to my text file?
A: Pulling values from Excel always just pulls the value independant of the formatting. Means: If a cell is formatted as date you still get the internal representation of the date independant of how you format the data.

How to solve your problem:

• Tell us what you mean by "formatting"
  • Give us an example workbook to play with
  • Tell us how the result you expect should look like

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (2018-12-03 - Version 1.4.11.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2019-03-02 - Version 1.3.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-01-22 - Version 0.1.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
PowerPoint (2017-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:

ADO - Wiki

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By TheDcoder
      Hello everyone, I am working on a project which requires reading a few values from Excel, the catch is that I need it to be very fast... unfortunatley I found out that read operations using the supplied Excel UDF are very slow, more than 150 ms for each operation on average
      Here is my testing setup that I made:
      #include <Excel.au3> #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> Global $iTotalTime = 0 Test() Func Test() Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open() Local $oBook = _Excel_BookAttach("Test.xlsx", "FileName", $oExcel) Local $sSheet = "Sheet1" If @error Then Return MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Excel Failed", "Failed to attach to Excel") Local $iNum For $iRow = 1 To 6 Time() Local $iNum = Number(_Excel_RangeRead($oBook, $sSheet, "A" & $iRow)) If ($iNum = 1) Then ConsoleWrite("Row " & $iRow & " is 1 and value of column B is " & _Excel_RangeRead($oBook, $sSheet, "B" & $iRow)) Else ConsoleWrite("Row " & $iRow & " is not 1") EndIf ConsoleWrite(". Reading took: ") Time() Next ConsoleWrite("The whole operation took " & $iTotalTime & " milliseconds." & @CRLF) EndFunc Func Time() Local Static $hTimer Local Static $bRunning = False If $bRunning Then Local $iTime = Round(TimerDiff($hTimer), 2) $iTotalTime += $iTime ConsoleWrite($iTime & @CRLF) Else $hTimer = TimerInit() EndIf $bRunning = Not $bRunning EndFunc And Test.xlsx in CSV format:
      1,-1 -1,1 1,-1 1,1 -1,-1 1,1 Here is the actual xlsx but it should expire in a week: https://we.tl/t-EVkxGp1kc6
      And finally output from my script:
      Row 1 is 1 and value of column B is -1. Reading took: 276.06 Row 2 is not 1. Reading took: 163.36 Row 3 is 1 and value of column B is -1. Reading took: 302.58 Row 4 is 1 and value of column B is 1. Reading took: 294.65 Row 5 is not 1. Reading took: 152.33 Row 6 is 1 and value of column B is 1. Reading took: 284.92 The whole operation took 1473.9 milliseconds.  
      Taking ~1.5 seconds for reading 6 rows of data is bad for my script, which needs to run as fast as possible . It would be nice if I can bring this down to 100 ms somehow, I am not very experienced working with MS office so I thought about asking you folks for help and advice on how I can optimize my script to squeeze out every bit of performance that I can get from this script

Thanks for the help in advance!
    • By SlackerAl
      I have been using some AutoIt scripts to manipulate Excel for a few weeks now. Today they stopped working. I have rebooted the PC and I'm not aware of any other significant changes. I can start and use Excel conventionally without a problem, but any attempt to create an excel object from AutoIt fails. E.g
      #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <Excel.au3> Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open() If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel UDF: _Excel_Open Example 1", "Error creating the Excel application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended) Produces:
      @error = 1
      @extended = -2147221005
      I can't find that COM error listed anywhere... Anyone have any ideas?
    • By Eggie6
      Hi,
      I'm trying to write an formula to the excel, but it actually does not write anything into the cell, any ideas?
      $formula1="=MID(B"&$utakmice&",SEARCH("-",B"&$utakmice&")-1,1)" _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, $oWorkbook.Activesheet, $formula1, "C"&$smth)  
    • By XinYoung
      Hello all,
      Preface: Column A is full of courses. Column B is full of usernames. If course (A1) exists, we check to see if username (B1) is enrolled. If user is found, the user is un-enrolled. Then Loop.
      I am working on a script that loops through an Excel file and pastes the content from A1 into a textbox in IE, does some stuff, then pastes the content from B1 into a different textbox. Then it loops around until all used rows in columns A and B have been accounted for.
      For some reason, column A loops properly but column B doesn't. B1 is pasted over and over again. So, as it loops, B1 is constantly being pasted, first accompanying A1's loop, then A2, and so on.
      The OpenExcel() func opens the Excel file the user specifies in an earlier function. It's supposed to gather the entire used range of columns A and B. The SearchCourse() func only uses column A, pasting its content into a Search tool in IE. This seems to be working fine. SearchResult() puts "Course Not Found" into column C if the search fails. If the search is successful, however, we move onto... EnterCourse(). This simply gets us to the place where column B's content comes into play. UnenrollNow(). Here, we paste the variable $_userName into a textbox. I don't know why it's always B1  Func OpenExcel() If Not WinExists($hWnd) Then MsgBox(16, "Window closed", "The Internet Explorer window was closed. Please start over.") _Exit() Else $oExcel = _Excel_Open() Global $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $ChosenFileName, Default, True, True) $oExcel.Sheets("CopyCourses").Activate ;~ Get all used cells in columns A and B $aSearchItems = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, 1, $oWorkbook.Sheets("CopyCourses").Usedrange.Columns("A:B")) ;~ Create the $aSearchResult array ReDim $aSearchResult[UBound($aSearchItems)] ;~ Loop through the array starting at 0 until the end of the array which is (Ubound($aSearchItems) - 1) For $i = 0 To UBound($aSearchItems) - 1 ;~ Column 0 ConsoleWrite($aSearchItems[$i][0] & @CRLF) ;~ Column 1 ConsoleWrite($aSearchItems[$i][1] & @CRLF) $aSearchResult[$i] = SearchCourse($aSearchItems[$i][0], $aSearchItems[$i][1]) Next _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, Default, $aSearchResult, "C1") ;~ When the loop is complete, run the Finished function. Finished() EndIf EndFunc ;==>OpenExcel Func SearchCourse($_sSearchResult, $_userName) If Not WinExists($hWnd) Then MsgBox(16, "Window closed", "The Internet Explorer window was closed. Please start over.") _Exit() Else _IENavigate($oIE, $urlBBCourseSearch) _IELoadWait($oIE) Local $oForm = _IEGetObjByName($oIE, "courseManagerFormSearch") Local $oSearchString = _IEFormElementGetObjByName($oForm, "courseInfoSearchText") _IEFormElementSetValue($oSearchString, $_sSearchResult) _IEFormSubmit($oForm) _IELoadWait($oIE) Local $oBBTable = _IETableGetCollection($oIE, 2) $aBBTableData = _IETableWriteToArray($oBBTable) Return SearchResult() EndIf EndFunc ;==>SearchCourse Func SearchResult() If Not WinExists($hWnd) Then MsgBox(16, "Window closed", "The Internet Explorer window was closed. Please start over.") _Exit() Else Local $sResult $iSearchIndex = _ArraySearch($aBBTableData, "Course ID", 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0) If $iSearchIndex = -1 Then $sResult = "Course Not Found" _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, Default, $aSearchResult, "C1") Else EnterCourse() $sResult = "UnEnrolled!" _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, Default, $aSearchResult, "C1") EndIf Return $sResult EndIf EndFunc ;==>SearchResult Func EnterCourse() If Not WinExists($hWnd) Then MsgBox(16, "Window closed", "The Internet Explorer window was closed. Please start over.") _Exit() Else Local $clickFail = "DATE CREATED" _IELinkClickByIndex($oIE, 34) _IELoadWait($oIE) $sourceCode = _IEBodyReadHTML($oIE) If StringInStr($sourceCode, $clickFail) <> 0 Then _IELinkClickByIndex($oIE, 35) _IELoadWait($oIE) EndIf $oLink = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "controlpanel.users.and.groups_groupExpanderLink") _IEAction($oLink, "click") Sleep(500) _IELinkClickByText($oIE, "Users") _IELoadWait($oIE) $aSearchResult[$i] = UnenrollNow($aSearchItems[$i][0], $aSearchItems[$i][1]) EndIf EndFunc ;==>EnterCourse Func UnenrollNow($_sourceCourseId, $_userName) If Not WinExists($hWnd) Then MsgBox(16, "Window closed", "The Internet Explorer window was closed. Please start over.") _Exit() Else Local $UserError = "No users found" Local $sResult $criteriaUsername = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "userInfoSearchKeyString") _IEFormElementOptionSelect($criteriaUsername, 0, 1, 'byIndex') $criteriaUsername = _IEGetObjById($oIE, "userInfoSearchOperatorString") _IEFormElementOptionSelect($criteriaUsername, 0, 1, 'byIndex') ;Paste whats copied from column B into the Username text box. Local $oForm = _IEGetObjByName($oIE, "userManagerSearchForm") Local $oSearchString = _IEFormElementGetObjByName($oForm, "userInfoSearchText") ;PROBLEM HERE... _IEFormElementSetValue($oSearchString, $_userName) ;^^^^^^ WHY IS $_userName ALWAYS B1 ??? Sleep(1000) _IEFormSubmit($oForm) _IELoadWait($oIE) $sourceCode = _IEBodyReadHTML($oIE) If StringInStr($sourceCode, $UserError) <> 0 Then $sResult = "User Not Found" _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, Default, $aSearchResult, "C1") Return $sResult Else MsgBox(0, "Unenrollment READY!", "We're ready to unenroll foreal") $sResult = "DUN" _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, Default, $aSearchResult, "C1") Return $sResult EndIf EndIf EndFunc ;==>UnenrollNow Please let me know if any further information is needed.
      If you see other problems or redundancies in my code, please let me know.
      Thank you!

• By SlackerAl
      I have an issue when starting Excel with the following code
      #include <Excel.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> Opt("GUIOnEventMode", 1) GUICreate("Excel Test", 600, 440) GUISetOnEvent($GUI_EVENT_CLOSE, "MenuExit") GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) ; Create application object Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open() If @error Then Exit MsgBox(0, "Excel UDF: _Excel_RangeFind Example", "Error creating the Excel application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended) ; sit here forever with an option to react every 10ms While 1 Sleep(10) WEnd Exit Func MenuExit() GUIDelete() Exit EndFunc If the Excel is a standard install, everything is OK. If Excel has the Kutools add-in (https://www.extendoffice.com/product/kutools-for-excel.html) installed and active the excel process runs (and is visible in task manager until killed), but it never displays. Disabling the add-in restores normal functionality.
      If I add some additional code to interact with the excel application then still nothing happens if the add-in is active. However, if Excel is started first and then the AutoIt code is run, it is able to interact with the Excel session as normal.
      Summary: The Excel add-in Kutools prevents excel being started with the _Excel_Open() command from AutoIt. Any AutoIt side work-arounds for this?