Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)

Introduction :welcome:

In the course of my research for a project involving, among other things, the transfer of large amounts of data, I came across the BITS service and from that the idea for this UDF was born.
For a brief overview, I'll quote from Microsoft's BITS website (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/bits/background-intelligent-transfer-service-portal).

Purpose

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is used by programmers and system administrators to download files from or upload files to HTTP web servers and SMB file shares. BITS will take the cost of the transfer into consideration, as well as the network usage so that the user's foreground work has as little impact as possible. BITS also handles network interuptions, pausing and automatically resuming transfers, even after a reboot. BITS includes PowerShell cmdlets for creating and managing transfers as well as the BitsAdmin command-line utility.

Where applicable

Use BITS for applications that need to:

• Download from or upload files to an HTTP or REST web server or SMB file server.
  • Automatically resume file transfers after network disconnects and computer restarts.
  • Preserve the responsiveness of other network applications.
  • Be mindful of the network cost on e.g. roaming networks
  • Optionally work with BranchCache to optimize wide area network (WAN) traffic

Availability 🛒

The BITS UDF can be downloaded from my GitHub repository:

🔗 https://github.com/DonChunior/BITS-UDF

Comments 💬

Currently, only an alpha version of the UDF is available.
This contains by and large the full functionality of the object interfaces, but still completely lacks error checking and handling.
I will implement this in the upcoming beta version.
Therefore I ask you to use the UDF only for testing purposes but not in productive code!

Acknowledgment 🤝

Many thanks to @Nine and @Danyfirex.
You helped me very well in solving some tricky problems.

Edited by DonChunior
Formatting improvement.
1 hour ago, Nine said:

I would highly suggest that you create an example framework to show how to properly use your UDF to download one and/or multiple files.

You're right about that, of course, and I promised that in the roadmap section of the README file on GitHub.
Examples will make it much easier to get started using BITS.

_BITS_Connect does not work for me on Windows 7, it is hanging the script.  So here what is working (error handling should obviously be added) :

Func _BITS_Connect($iVersion = Default)
    Local $asBackgroundCopyManager_CLSIDs[] = [ _
            "{5FD42AD5-C04E-4D36-ADC7-E08FF15737AD}", _ ; BITS 10.3
            "{4575438F-A6C8-4976-B0FE-2F26B80D959E}", _ ; BITS 10.2
            "{4BD3E4E1-7BD4-4A2B-9964-496400DE5193}", _ ; BITS 10.1
            "{4D233817-B456-4E75-83D2-B17DEC544D12}", _ ; BITS 10.0
            "{1ECCA34C-E88A-44E3-8D6A-8921BDE9E452}", _ ; BITS 5.0
            "{BB6DF56B-CACE-11DC-9992-0019B93A3A84}", _ ; BITS 4.0
            "{659CDEA7-489E-11D9-A9CD-000D56965251}", _ ; BITS 3.0
            "{03CA98D6-FF5D-49B8-ABC6-03DD84127020}", _ ; BITS 2.5
            "{6D18AD12-BDE3-4393-B311-099C346E6DF9}", _ ; BITS 2.0
            "{F087771F-D74F-4C1A-BB8A-E16ACA9124EA}", _ ; BITS 1.5
            "{4991D34B-80A1-4291-83B6-3328366B9097}" _ ; BITS 1.0
            ]
  If $iVersion <> Default Then Return ObjCreateInterface($asBackgroundCopyManager_CLSIDs[$iVersion], $__BITSCONSTANT_sIID_IBackgroundCopyManager, $__BITSCONSTANT_sTagIBackgroundCopyManager)
    Local $oBackgroundCopyManager = 0
    For $sBackgroundCopyManager_CLSID In $asBackgroundCopyManager_CLSIDs
        $oBackgroundCopyManager = ObjCreateInterface($sBackgroundCopyManager_CLSID, $__BITSCONSTANT_sIID_IBackgroundCopyManager, $__BITSCONSTANT_sTagIBackgroundCopyManager)
        If Not @error Then ExitLoop
    Next

Return $oBackgroundCopyManager
EndFunc   ;==>_BITS_Connect

I hardcoded it to 6 and it works well.  Another solution would be to check @OSVersion and attempt to connect accordingly.

Also please remove au3check directives, you should not force it.

Edited by Nine

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By seadoggie01
      This UDF is because I'm tired of trying to use UI Automation and Send to automate Adobe Acrobat. I often need to read the contents of PDFs and Acrobat is not easy to work with as a window.  The functions are based on the API Reference from Adobe located here.
      Acrobat Pro is required for all functions.
      It's very beta right now, but it still seems to work. Currently, the functions are based around page level manipulation of PDF documents: re-arranging, swapping, deleting, and moving pages as this is what I use the most.
      Please feel free to request/suggest features!

• By water
      I have started to rewrite the PowerPoint UDF similar to the Word, Excel and Outlook UDF. The new UDF will not be compatible with the existing one.
      I will add examples, documentation, a section in the wiki etc.
      So far the following functions have been coded - more are on the ToDo list.
      _PPT_Open: Open a connection to a running instance of PowerPoint or start a new one _PPT_Close: Close a PowerPoint instance _PPT_CommentAdd: Add a Comment anywhere on a Slide or connected to a Shape (version 1.5.0.0 2021-08-31) _PPT_CommentDelete: Delete a single Comment from a Slide or all Comments from a SlideRange (version 1.5.0.0 2021-08-31) _PPT_CommentList: Get a list of all Comments in a Presentation (version 1.5.0.0 2021-08-31) _PPT_ConvertUnits: Convert units (like centimeters) to other units (like points) (version 1.3.0.0 2021-08-17) _PPT_HeaderFooterList: Returns a list of Headers and Footers for a Presentation (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25, removed with version 1.4.0.0 2021-08-25) _PPT_HeaderFooterSet: Sets the Header/Footer for a Slide/Slides or the Slide-/Notes-/Handout-/Title-Master of the Presentation (version 1.2.0.0 2021-08-09) _PPT_PresentationAttach: Attach to an already opened Presentation _PPT_PresentationClose: Close a Presentation _PPT_PresentationExport: Export one/multiple/all Slides as PDF or XPS. _PPT_PresentationExportGraphic: Export one/multiple/all Slides in a graphic format. _PPT_PresentationList: Returns a list of currently open Presentations (version 1.0.0.0 2021-07-20) _PPT_PresentationNew: Create a new Presentation _PPT_PresentationOpen: Open an existing Presentation _PPT_Print: Print one/multiple/all Slides of a Presentation (version 1.0.0.0 2021-07-20) _PPT_PresentationSave: Save a Presentation _PPT_PresentationSaveAs: Save a Presentation to another location or with another type _PPT_ShapeAdd: Add a Shape to a single or multiple Slides (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25) _PPT_ShapeCopyMove: Copy/move a Shape(s) of a single Slide to a Slide(s) in the same or a different Presentation (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25) _PPT_ShapeDelete: Delete a Shape or Shapes from a single or multiple Slides (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25) _PPT_SlideAdd: Add slide(s) to a Presentation _PPT_SlideCopyMove: Copy, move, duplicate Slide(s) _PPT_SlideDelete: Delete Slide(s) _PPT_SlideShow: Show a Presentation _PPT_TableGet: Extract data from a PowerPoint Table Shape to an array (version 1.3.0.0 2021-08-17) _PPT_TableSet: Write data to a PowerPoint Table Shape (version 1.3.0.0 2021-08-17) _PPT_TextFindReplace: Find & replace text throughout entire PowerPoint presentation (version 1.0.0.0 2021-07-20) _PPT_TextSet: Sets/modifies the Text of a Shape or Shapes of a single or multiple Slides (version 1.2.0.0 2021-08-09 Which functions do you want me to add to the UDF?
      ToDo list:
      create slide (JLogan3o13) - Done: _PPT_SlideAdd Apply template to slide (JLogan3o13) - Done: _PPT_SlideAdd Apply theme to slide (JLogan3o13) Cut/Copy/Duplicate/Move/Delete slide(s) (JLogan3o13) - Done: _PPT_SlideCopyMove, _PPT_SlideDelete Export slides (JLogan3o13) - Done: _PPT_PresentationExport Cut/Copy/Duplicate/Move/Delete shape(s) (JLogan3o13): Done : _PPT_ShapeCopyMove, _PPT_ShapeDelete (version 1.1.0.0 2021-07-25) ApplyAnimation, Select, SetDefaultProperties, and zOrder for shape(s) (JLogan3o13) Searching and replacing text (pcjunki) - Done: _PPT_TextFindReplace (version 1.0.0.0 2021-07-20) Export slides in a graphic format (JPG, GIF, PNG ...) (UEZ) - Done: _PPT_PresentationExportGraphic The UDF can be downloaded from the download forum.

• By Hermes
      I have Index.html where it contains a frame with a source "frame1.html". I can select/highlight elements in index.html but unable to select/highlight elements inside the frame with the src "frame1.html", the autoit output is throwing error:
      __WD_Post: URL=HTTP://127.0.0.1:9515/session/2143396006437be4005db3b84acc1496/element/8be1c3c4-5bb1-42b1-8cde-7954765cbc61/element; $sData={"using":"css selector","value":"frameset:nth-of-type(1)"} __WD_Post: StatusCode=404; ResponseText={"value":{"error":"no such element","message":"no such element: Unable to locate element: {\"method\... __WD_Post ==> No match: {"value":{"error":"no such element","message":"no such element: Unable to locate element: {\"method\":\"css selector\",\"selector\":\"frameset:nth-of-type(1)\"}\n (Session info: chrome=90.0.4430.212)","stacktrace":"Backtrace:\n\tOrdinal0 [0x00FCE7D3+124883]\n\tOrdinal0 [0x00FCE7B1+124849]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x01218688+193832]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x0123C478+340760]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x012361F1+315537]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x012516BA+427354]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x01236176+315414]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x0125174A+427498]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x0125D6EB+476555]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x0125154B+426987]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x01234FFD+310941]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x01235D8E+314414]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x01235D19+314297]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x012F31EC+1089676]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x012F17C9+1082985]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x012F13A3+1081923]\n\tGetHandleVerifier [0x013ED9FD+2115741]\n\tOrdinal0 [0x0111B82E+1488942]\n\tOrdinal0 [0x010B5A7D+1071741]\n\tOrdinal0 [0x010B559B+1070491]\n\tOrdinal0 [0x010B54B1+1070257]\n\tOrdinal0 [0x010EFF53+1310547]\n\tBaseThreadInitThunk [0x770662C4+36]\n\tRtlSubscribeWnfStateChangeNotification [0x776B1B69+1081]\n\tRtlSubscribeWnfStateChangeNotification [0x776B1B34+1028]\n"}} Auto IT Script:
      #Include "wd_core.au3" #Include "wd_helper.au3" Local $sDesiredCapabilities, $sSession SetupChrome() _WD_Startup() $sSession = _WD_CreateSession($sDesiredCapabilities) _WD_Navigate($sSession, 'index.html') _WD_LoadWait($sSession) Local $index = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "frameset:nth-of-type(1)") Local $index1 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "frameset:nth-of-type(1)", $index) Local $index2 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "frame:nth-of-type(1)", $index1) Local $index3 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "frameset:nth-of-type(1)", $index2) _WD_HighlightElement($sSession, $index2, 1) _WD_HighlightElement($sSession, $index3, 1) _WD_Shutdown() Func SetupChrome() _WD_Option('Driver', 'chromedriver.exe') _WD_Option('Port', 9515) _WD_Option('DriverParams', '--log-path="' & @ScriptDir & '\chrome.log"') $sDesiredCapabilities = '{"capabilities": {"alwaysMatch": {"goog:chromeOptions": {"w3c": true, "args":["start-maximized","disable-infobars"]}}}}' EndFunc ;==>SetupChrome  

frame1.html index.html
    • By Hermes
      Hi, sometimes when I run my script in GUI (SciTe Editor) or as an executable file, the chrome driver launches but the chrome browser does not but when I re-run the script again - chrome driver launches and so does the browser. Here is the error that I'm getting:
      __WD_Post: StatusCode=0; ResponseText=WinHTTP request timed out before Webdriver... __WD_Post ==> Send / Recv error: WinHTTP request timed out before Webdriver _WD_CreateSession: WinHTTP request timed out before Webdriver _WD_CreateSession ==> Webdriver Exception: HTTP status = 0 Just wondering if there's a way to re-launch both the driver and browser without having to rerun the script/executable.

• By Hermes
      Hello, the script below will read column A from an excel file - and if a value matches in the browser, it will click the corresponding link and click on a specific button to paste the data, then writes "Completed" in Column B. It will continue to read from the excel file and do the same thing for all the remaining rows.
      #Include "Chrome.au3" #Include "wd_core.au3" #Include "wd_helper.au3" #Include "WinHttp.au3" #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <File.au3> #include <IE.au3> #include <Array.au3> #include <INet.au3> #include <AutoItConstants.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> #include <GDIPlus.au3> #include <Excel.au3> #Include "WinHttp.au3" #Include "_HtmlTable2Array.au3" Local $sDesiredCapabilities, $sSession SetupChrome() _WD_Startup() $sSession = _WD_CreateSession($sDesiredCapabilities) _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_Navigate($sSession, "table1.html") _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_WaitElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, "//table[@class='main']") Local $sElement = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, "//table[@class='main']") ;ConsoleWrite ("mat-table " & $sElement & @CRLF) Local $aArray1 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, ".//td[contains(@class,'data')]", $sElement, True) sleep(1000) For $i = 0 to UBound($aArray1) - 1 $aArray1[$i] = _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $aArray1[$i], 'text') Next ;_ArrayDisplay($aArray1) ;Email variables $SmtpServer = "" ; address for the smtp-server to use - REQUIRED $FromName = "Hermes" ; name from who the email was sent $FromAddress = "sender@gmail.com" ; address from where the mail should come $ToAddress = "recipient@gmail.com" ; destination address of the email - REQUIRED, use commas (,) to add more email addresses $Subject = "File not found" ; subject from the email - can be anything you want it to be $Body = "File not found!" ; the messagebody from the mail - can be left blank but then you get a blank mail $AttachFiles = "" ; the file(s) you want to attach seperated with a ; (Semicolon) - leave blank if not needed $CcAddress = "" ; address for cc - leave blank if not needed $BccAddress = "" ; address for bcc - leave blank if not needed $Importance = "High" ; Send message priority: "High", "Normal", "Low" $Username = "" ; username for the account used from where the mail gets sent - REQUIRED $Password = "" ; password for the account used from where the mail gets sent - REQUIRED $IPPort = 25 ; port used for sending the mail $ssl = 0 ; enables/disables secure socket layer sending - put to 1 if using httpS $tls = 0 ; enables/disables TLS when required Local $oAppl = _Excel_Open() Local $sWorkbook = "c:\test.xlsx" Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oAppl, $sWorkbook) ;open excel and pass both parameters If FileExists($sWorkbook) Then ;Check if the file exist. Local $oAppl = _Excel_Open() Local $sWorkbook = "c:\test.xlsx" Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oAppl, $sWorkbook) ;open excel and pass both parameters Local $aArray2 = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook,Default,$oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Usedrange.Columns("A:A")) Local $iIdx Local $Skipline = 0 ;0==> first line Do Local $temprf For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray2) - 1 $temprf &= $aArray2[$i] _WD_WaitElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, ".//a[contains(@class,'edit') and contains(text(),'Edit')]") Local $aElement = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, ".//a[contains(@class,'edit') and contains(text(),'Edit')]", $sElement, True) $iIdx = _ArraySearch($aArray1, $aArray2[$i]) If @error Then ContinueLoop _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $aElement[$iIdx], 'click') If $i < $Skipline Then ContinueLoop $oRange = $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("B" & $i + 1 & ":XFD" & $i + 1) _Excel_RangeCopyPaste($oWorkbook.Activesheet, $oRange) ;Paste Local $oTest4 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "pastebutton") _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $oTest4, 'click') Sleep(1000) ;Save Button Local $save3 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "button.button") _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $save3, 'click') _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, $oWorkbook.Activesheet, "Completed", "B" & $i+1) sleep(1000) Next Until (Not @error) _Excel_Close($oWorkbook) Else _INetSmtpMailCom($SmtpServer, $FromName, $FromAddress, $ToAddress, $Subject, $Body, $CcAddress, $BccAddress, $Importance, $Username, $Password, $IPPort, $ssl, $tls) Exit EndIf _WD_LoadWait($sSession) ;Attaching files to emails Func _INetSmtpMailCom($s_SmtpServer, $s_FromName, $s_FromAddress, $s_ToAddress, $s_Subject = "", $as_Body = "", $s_CcAddress = "", $s_BccAddress = "", $s_Importance="Normal", $s_Username = "", $s_Password = "", $IPPort = 25, $ssl = 0, $tls = 0) Local $objEmail = ObjCreate("CDO.Message") $objEmail.From = '"' & $s_FromName & '" <' & $s_FromAddress & '>' $objEmail.To = $s_ToAddress Local $i_Error = 0 Local $i_Error_desciption = "" If $s_CcAddress <> "" Then $objEmail.Cc = $s_CcAddress If $s_BccAddress <> "" Then $objEmail.Bcc = $s_BccAddress $objEmail.Subject = $s_Subject If StringInStr($as_Body, "<") And StringInStr($as_Body, ">") Then $objEmail.HTMLBody = $as_Body Else $objEmail.Textbody = $as_Body & @CRLF EndIf $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2 $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = $s_SmtpServer If Number($IPPort) = 0 then $IPPort = 25 $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = $IPPort ;Authenticated SMTP If $s_Username <> "" Then $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = 1 $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") = $s_Username $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = $s_Password EndIf ; Set security params If $ssl Then $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl") = True If $tls Then $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendtls") = True ;Update settings $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Update ; Set Email Importance Switch $s_Importance Case "High" $objEmail.Fields.Item ("urn:schemas:mailheader:Importance") = "High" Case "Normal" $objEmail.Fields.Item ("urn:schemas:mailheader:Importance") = "Normal" Case "Low" $objEmail.Fields.Item ("urn:schemas:mailheader:Importance") = "Low" EndSwitch $objEmail.Fields.Update ; Sent the Message $objEmail.Send $objEmail="" EndFunc ;==>_INetSmtpMailCom Local $aDir = _FileListToArrayRec(@TempDir, "scoped_dir*;chrome_*", $FLTAR_FOLDERS, $FLTAR_NORECUR, $FLTAR_NOSORT, $FLTAR_FULLPATH) Sleep(2000) For $i = 1 To $aDir[0] DirRemove($aDir[$i], $DIR_REMOVE) Next _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_Shutdown() Func SetupChrome() _WD_Option('Driver', 'chromedriver.exe') _WD_Option('Port', 9515) _WD_Option('DriverParams', '--log-path="' & @ScriptDir & '\chrome.log"') $sDesiredCapabilities = '{"capabilities": {"alwaysMatch": {"goog:chromeOptions": {"w3c": true, "args":["start-maximized","disable-infobars"]}}}}' EndFunc ;==>SetupChrome If the excel file doesn't exists in the folder, it will send an email to a specific recipient.
      What i am trying figure out now is if the excel crashes while the script/loop is running, I want to relaunch the excel file continue to the last row before the excel crashed. So if the value of column B is not marked as "completed", it should continue from that row
      Appreciate any help that I can get to achieve this.
      table1.html test.xlsx