Can this script run faster?

Two remarks (and I'll keep silent after that!).

Good point for the new Excel UDF, but as the OP says, his actual logs are likely to be much larger than the small sample given. If you look at them, you unsurprisingly notice that the same IP shows several times in a row, as the result of normal browsing. The costly part is the IP lookup in the geoip blocks. That's why I took the pain to de-duplicate the log entries and sort them to use a binary search later. As logs grow to tens ot thousands entries, this should make a significant difference.

Also I decided that decimal IPs are definitely not user-friendly, hence the conversion to x.y.z.t string format.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I would like to say that my problem how to speed up my script is officially solved and I want to thanks all of you who participate and help me, especially sentry07 and jchd.

Second I just want whant you to inform you about the results that I got testing bouth scripts. The reason why I doing that is not to favorite anyone but because the results was surprising to me.

Head to head test

sentry07 GeoIP and jchd SQLiteGeoIP

TimerInit set from the beaginig to the end of a script.

Testing time for 1000 IP's

SQLiteGeoIP 485.667 ms

GeoIP 4.6s

Testing time for 20000 IP's

SQLiteGeoIP 95931.032 ms

GeoIP 8.95s

So on a short term jchd SQLiteGeoIP kick asses but on a long term sentry07 GeoIP blowup competition.

I'm not going into a "mine is bigger than yours" competition. But for the sake of my own understanding, can you post the input file that caused my code to get slow as hell, or drop it in a sharing site somewhere? There must be something I overlooked and I'd like to put my finger on that logical hole.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

I apologize for wasting some of your time by using a dumb approach: I didn't realize how _ArrayUnique was slow. This experience reveals that this function needs a rewrite.

Please try my last version, much more in the realm of what can be done.

#include <File.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <SQLite.au3>
;~ #include  ; this would slow down the script

Local $hTime = TimerInit()
Local $sInpLogFile = "20000.txt" ; "access_log-2013-01-18.txt"
Local $aInpLog
_FileReadToArray($sInpLogFile, $aInpLog)
Local $aIP, $sIP, $vIP, $aRow, $sCountry
_SQLite_Startup("sqlite3.dll") ; force loading of the DLL in the current folder
Local $err = _SQLite_Open("GeoLite.db3")
Local $hOutFile = FileOpen("Traced_" & $sInpLogFile, 2)
For $i = 0 To UBound($aInpLog) - 1
$aIP = StringRegExp($aInpLog[$i], "^(\d+)\.(\d+)\.(\d+)\.(\d+)", 1)
If Not @error Then
$sIP = StringFormat("%03i.%03i.%03i.%03i", $aIP[0], $aIP[1], $aIP[2], $aIP[3])
If Not IsDeclared($sIP & '$') Then ; see http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/148542-associative-array-using-assign-isdeclared-and-eval/#entry1056260
$err = _SQLite_QuerySingleRow(-1, "select country from geo where '" & $sIP & "' between ipfrom and ipto;", $aRow)
If $err = $SQLITE_OK Then
$sCountry = ' ' & $aRow[0]
Else
EndIf
Assign($sIP & '$', $sCountry, 2) ; see http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/148542-associative-array-using-assign-isdeclared-and-eval/#entry1056260
EndIf
$sCountry = Eval($sIP & '$')
Else
$sCountry = ''
EndIf
FileWriteLine($hOutFile, $aInpLog[$i] & $sCountry)
Next
FileClose($hOutFile)
ConsoleWrite("Total time spent: " & Round(TimerDiff($hTime), 3) & ' ms' & @LF)

I apologize for wasting some of your time by using a dumb approach: I didn't realize how _ArrayUnique was slow. This experience reveals that this function needs a rewrite.

I use still, but don't know whether it should replace the Array version.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Hi guinness,

That's precisely what I finally used here, in substance. With a 20K entries file, _ArrayUnique itself took > 298s on my slow machine, while the whole rewritten scripts terminates in under 2.6s. The simple possiblility of a 100-fold improvement (at the very least) denotes a real issue.

Argh! I totally missed that in your code, no idea why. Sorry about that.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018