First post, please bear with me: Problem with loops

Greetings AutoIT coders!

I recently started playing with AutoIT and I've been doing pretty good, but I've ran into an issue with loops.

I have a global variable call $runStatus that can either be "run" or "no".

I have a button that sets the variable to "run" and calls a function in another script file if the current status of the variable is "no", and if it's already "run" it sets it to "no".

The script has a While $runStatus = "run"

scriptstuff

Wend

The script starts as expected when I click the button, but I can't get it to register the button click to change the variable while it's running, nor will it exit without help from ctrl-alt-delete.

You are reading in the button 'clicks' outside of your loop, so your loop will run indefinatly once initiated.  You need to logically break out of the loop, or there are ways to assign adlib funcitons to your control clicks.

I think it's:

GUIRegisterMsg
Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Why not use boolean e.g. 0 or 1 (False/True) instead of a string?

Local $iCount = 0
Local $fRunning = True
While $fRunning
    ; Do something
    If $iCount = 1000 Then $fRunning = False ; If the variable $iCount is 1000 then set $fRunning to False.
    $iCount += 1; Increase count by 1.
WEnd

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

What does Post reproducer mean?

I figure a text variable is no different from a boolean other than semantics.

The while loop contains another loop, which runs 5 times, then restarts (Based on a counter variable)

Between runs I check the global variable $runStatus, if it's no longer "run" then end whole loop, if it's "run" then run the loop again.

My problem is that clickin the button to change the variable doesn't work while the loop is running, and it seems strangely complex to get that functionality.

Keep it simple.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Global $Button_2

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $Button_1, $msg
    GUICreate("My GUI Button") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered

Opt("GUICoordMode", 2)
    ;$Button_1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Run Notepad", 10, 30, 100)
    $Button_2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Button Test", 0, -1)

GUISetState() ; will display an  dialog box with 2 button

; Run the GUI until the dialog is closed
    While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
            Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
            ;Case $msg = $Button_1
            ;    Run('notepad.exe') ; Will Run/Open Notepad
        Case $msg = $Button_2
            _Func()
                MsgBox(0, 'Testing', 'Exited function') ; Will demonstrate Button 2 being pressed
        EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Func _Func()
    MsgBox(0, 'Testing', 'Entered function')
    While 1
        If GUIGetMsg() = $Button_2 Then
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    WEnd
EndFunc

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Or if you don't like the globals pass the ID

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

Example()

Func Example()
    Local $Button_1, $msg, $Button_2
    GUICreate("My GUI Button") ; will create a dialog box that when displayed is centered

Opt("GUICoordMode", 2)
    ;$Button_1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Run Notepad", 10, 30, 100)
    $Button_2 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Button Test", 0, -1)

GUISetState() ; will display an  dialog box with 2 button

; Run the GUI until the dialog is closed
    While 1
        $msg = GUIGetMsg()
        Select
            Case $msg = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
                ExitLoop
            ;Case $msg = $Button_1
            ;    Run('notepad.exe') ; Will Run/Open Notepad
        Case $msg = $Button_2
            _Func($Button_2)
                MsgBox(0, 'Testing', 'Exited function') ; Will demonstrate Button 2 being pressed
        EndSelect
    WEnd
EndFunc   ;==>Example

Func _Func(Const ByRef $Button_2)
    MsgBox(0, 'Testing', 'Entered function')
    While 1
        If GUIGetMsg() = $Button_2 Then
            ExitLoop
        EndIf
    WEnd
EndFunc

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

What does Post reproducer mean?

I figure a text variable is no different from a boolean other than semantics.

It means post your code instead of us guessing.

You're also wrong with the second assumption.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

I solved it by adding a checkbox, since it seems I *can* change the status of the checkbox while the function is running, so now instead of checking the global from before, I check the status of the checkbox instead.

Feels a bit like a hack, but it works while I look into how to do it properly.

Feels a bit like a hack

It is a little bit.

UDF List:

Well, it's still polite to post your code so we can help you, because I reckon you're not declaring a Global variable and thus it's not working for you. 

UDF List: