FrancescoDiMuro

How can I use Word UDF properly?

FrancescoDiMuro

Good morning everyone :)

I am working on a little script, which takes some data from a SQLite DB and should create a sort of report, inserting rows in a Word Document... I arrived at the point of:

• _Word_DocTableWrite()

and, I don't know how to set the range parameter? What does that specify? 

Thanks a lot for the help :)

EDIT:

Managed to write a table in the Word document, but now I get an error when I save the document with _Word_DocSaveAs(), with error 2.

Which are possible causes? Thanks a lot, again :)

EDIT 2:

... And, how can I set a border to the table? Maybe, with a sort of auto-formatting for text ( larger is the text, larger is the height/width of the table's cell ).

EDIT 3 ( bug ):

Including the parameter $WdSaveChanges in the function _Word_DocSaveAs(), a save dialog box appears, and it should not do it, as it's written in the MSDN documentation:

wdSaveChanges -1 Save pending changes automatically without prompting the user.

Thanks again for everyone will answer to me :) 

Edited by FrancescoDiMuro

Click here to see my signature:

Spoiler

I will always thank you for the time you spent for me.
I'm here to ask, and from your response, I'd like to learn.
By my knowledge, I can help someone else, and "that someone" could help in turn another, and so on.

water

Which version of MS Word do you run?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2018-06-01 - Version 1.4.9.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2018-01-27 - Version 1.3.3.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

water

The range parameter specifies the location in your Word document where to insert the table. Use _Word_DocRangeSet to define this location.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2018-06-01 - Version 1.4.9.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2018-01-27 - Version 1.3.3.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

water

_Word_DocTableWrite returns the table object. Use the Borders property to set all kind of formatting for the table: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff823239.aspx

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

FrancescoDiMuro

Hi @water !

Thank you for your replies :)

I run Office 2016 :)

For the EDIT 3, is that a bug?

Francesco

EDIT:

Is there a way to have a dynamic height/width of table's cells, based on the content? :)

Thank you so much, it works perfectly! :) 

Spoiler

By my knowledge, I can help someone else, and "that someone" could help in turn another, and so on.

water

Need to check. Either a problem with MS Word or with the UDF ;)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

FrancescoDiMuro
9 minutes ago, water said:

Need to check. Either a problem with MS Word or with the UDF ;)

I don't need to set any extra parameter in _Word_DocSaveAs(), but, just to inform you :)

Thank you :)

Now it's explained better!

Spoiler

water

But you did at least set parameter 1 ($oDoc)?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

FrancescoDiMuro

I made a big mess, sorry @water!

The "issue" occurs in the function _Word_Quit(), not in _Word_DocSaveAs().

Sorry! :)

Spoiler

water

What is the value of @error and @extended after calling _WordQuit?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Subz

Basic example with borders and saving doc into @ScriptDIr

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Word.au3>
Local Const $wdLineStyleSingle = 1
Local Const $wdBorderBottom = -3        ;~ A bottom border.
Local Const $wdBorderDiagonalDown = -7  ;~ A diagonal border starting in the upper-left corner.
Local Const $wdBorderLeft = -2          ;~ A left border.
Local Const $wdBorderRight = -4         ;~ A right border.
Local Const $wdBorderTop = -1           ;~ A top border.
Local Const $wdGray25 = 16  ;~ Shade 125 of gray color.
; Create application object
Local $oWord = _Word_Create()
If @error Then Exit
Local $oDoc = _Word_DocAdd($oWord)
If @error Then Exit

Local $asArray[3][3] = [[1, 2, 3], ["a", "b", "c"], ["x", "y", "z"]]
Local $oRange = _Word_DocRangeSet($oDoc, -2)
Local $oTable = _Word_DocTableWrite($oRange, $asArray, 0)
If @error Then Exit
With $oTable
 ;Apply borders around table
 .Borders($wdBorderTop).LineStyle = $wdLineStyleSingle
 .Borders($wdBorderBottom).LineStyle = $wdLineStyleSingle
 .Borders($wdBorderLeft).LineStyle = $wdLineStyleSingle
 .Borders($wdBorderRight).LineStyle = $wdLineStyleSingle
 .Rows(1).Shading.BackgroundPatternColorIndex = $wdGray25
EndWith
_Word_DocSaveAs($oDoc, @ScriptDir & "\Filename.docx", $WdFormatDocumentDefault)
_Word_DocClose($oDoc)
_Word_Quit($oWord)

FrancescoDiMuro

Now seems all fixed :)

I don't know why! If the issue occurs again, I will let you know!

Thanks for your help @water!

Have a super wonderful day!

Francesco :)

Spoiler

FrancescoDiMuro

@Subz

Thank you for your reply!

I managed to do what I was trying to do with my script! :)

Thank you and have a good day! :) 

Spoiler

water

:)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

FrancescoDiMuro

Hey @water,

and If I would like to set the position and the size of an image, inserted with

Local $objLogo1 = _Word_DocPictureAdd($objWordDoc, @ScriptDir & "\Images\Logo_Haupt.jpg", False, True, $objWordDocRange)

what do I have to do? :)

I tried with

With $objLogo1
    .ScaleWidth 1.0, False
    ; ...
EndWith

even with parenthesis, but, I dind't managed to do what I was trying to do :)

Thanks for your precious knowledge :)

Spoiler

water

Should be:

With $objLogo1
    .ScaleWidth = 100 ; percent of the shape's original width
    ; ...
EndWith

What is "False" for?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

FrancescoDiMuro

Sorry for that!

I'm not prepared as you are on Word objects :)

I was looking here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff195610.aspx

Now I'm trying with .Width property :)

Thanks again! I'll ask here in case! 

Have a good evening! :)

Francesco

Spoiler

water

I see. You are calling a Shape method where I was using a InlineShape property. For Shape your could should look like:

With $objLogo1
    .ScaleWidth(1.0, 0)
    ; ...
EndWith

Be aware that the MsoTriState data type is a bit different: https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/office/ff860737.aspx

msoCTrue           1 not supported
msoFalse           0 False
msoTriStateMixed  -2 not supported
msoTriStateToggle -3 not supported
msoTrue           -1 True

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki