Kevin Finnegan

7Zip Commandline - Output Error Logging Syntax?

Hi all,

Long time lurker and now forum poster! I'm writing a relatively simple backup script for my firm that automates the copy, compression and organization of Leaver's data on one of our secured NAS systems. I personally found the best method to do this so far was to use 7zG.exe (GUI version of 7Zip which can use command-line too) and it functions quite well!

I would like to retrieve more info on whether any warnings or errors happen in 7Zip during the backup, but I can't quite get my head around the syntax and switches for reading out, it seems any adjustment I make to the RunWait call's string seems to break the backup or give unexpected repercussions! Hopefully its something silly I'm doing as I don't code very often.

Here is the working version:

; Compress the directories one by one in the zip using the listfile....
Local $iPID = RunWait(@ScriptDir & "\bin\7zG.exe a -mx" & $compressionQuality & " -v" & $compressSplitFileSize & " -wc:\temp " _
         & $backupToLocation & "\" & $userDirectory & ".7z @bin\listfile.txt -x@bin\excludefile.txt", "", @SW_SHOWDEFAULT, $STDOUT_CHILD)

Ultimately I would love to switch entirely to 7za.exe (standalone) so that I can read the progress percentage, current file being uploaded and any warnings or errors could be processed and output to the AutoIT script's GUI I've created rather than jumping in and out of two applications per se.

What do you get when you set the log level using

-bb[0-3]

as described here?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2019-10-24 - Version 1.4.14.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2019-11-30 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
PowerPoint (2017-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2019-12-03 - Version 1.5.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

On 2/16/2018 at 3:17 PM, water said:

What do you get when you set the log level using

-bb[0-3]

as described here?

Cheers @water with your help and a small change to the use of double quotation marks, that did the trick!

; Compress the directories one by one in the zip using the listfile....
Local $iPID = Run(@ScriptDir & '\bin\7z.exe a -mx' & $compressionQuality & ' -v' & $compressSplitFileSize & ' -wc:\temp "' _
         & $backupToLocation & '\' & $userDirectory & '.7z" @bin\listfile.txt -x@bin\excludefile.txt -bb3', "", @SW_SHOWDEFAULT, $STDIO_INHERIT_PARENT)

I switched to single quotation marks after I realized when reading through the 7Zip command-line guide, that double quotes should be used around the folder locations, especially if they have any whitespace. The next step is to poll what's logged to the console and push it to the GUI.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BetaLeaf
      What is Rollbar?
      Rollbar provides real-time error alerting & debugging tools for developers. Learn more about it at https://rollbar.com/product/
      Demo: https://rollbar.com/demo/demo/
      Screenshot:
      Instructions: (RollbarTest.au3)
      ; Include RollbarSDK #include "RollbarSDK.au3" ;Turns on ConsoleWrite debugging override. ;Global $Rollbar_Debug=False ; Initialize RollbarSDK with the project's API key. ; Parameters ....: $__Rollbar_sToken - [Required] Go to https://rollbar.com/<User>/<ProjectName>/settings/access_tokens/ for your project. Use the token for post_server_item. _Rollbar_Init("eaa8464a4082eeabd9454465b8f0c0af") ; Write code that causes an error you want to catch, then call ; _Rollbar_Send ; Parameters ....: $__Rollbar_sErrorLevel - [Required] Must be one of the following values: Debug, Info, Warning, Error, Critical. ; $__Rollbar_sMessage - [Required] The message to be sent. This should contain any useful debugging info that will help you debug. ; $__Rollbar_sMessageSummary - [Optional] A string that will be used as the title of the Item occurrences will be grouped into. Max length 255 characters. If omitted, Rollbar will determine this on the backend. _Rollbar_Send("Debug", "This is an debug message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Debug Message") _Rollbar_Send("Info", "This is a test message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Info Message") _Rollbar_Send("Warning", "This is an warning message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Warning Message") _Rollbar_Send("Error", "This is an error message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Error Message") _Rollbar_Send("Critical", "This is an critical message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Critical Message") _Rollbar_Send("Info", "This is a test message. If you received this, you were successful!") ;No Message ; Rollbar_Send's helper functions ; Parameters ....: $__Rollbar_sMessage - [Required] The message to be sent. This should contain any useful debugging info that will help you debug. ; $__Rollbar_sMessageSummary - [Optional] A string that will be used as the title of the Item occurrences will be grouped into. Max length 255 characters. If omitted, Rollbar will determine this on the backend. _Rollbar_SendDebug("This is an debug message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Debug Message") _Rollbar_SendInfo("This is a test message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Info Message") _Rollbar_SendWarning("This is an warning message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Warning Message") _Rollbar_SendError("This is an error message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Error Message") _Rollbar_SendCritical("This is an critical message. If you received this, you were successful!", "Critical Message") ; Usable Example Local $sImportantFile = "C:\NOTAREALFILE_1234554321.txt" Switch FileExists($sImportantFile) Case True MsgBox(0, "Example Script", "An important file was found. Continuing...") Case Else _Rollbar_SendCritical('An important file was missing. Halting... File: "' & $sImportantFile & '"', 'Important file "' & $sImportantFile & '" is missing.') EndSwitch Notes: Please comment your feedback, advice, & suggestions below. While this is only a proof of concept, I will expand its feature set for everyone to use. 
      Right now, it is fully functional but not tested in production.

Changelog:
      RollbarSDK.au3
      RollbarTest.au3
      v0.2

v0.1.1

• By Dwalfware
      Hi Folks
      Can not get my head around this one.
      This function gets the DNS object s
      If you have two DNS entries fine. but if you have only one! Trouble
      $objItem.DNSServerSearchOrder[0] = Primary DNS
      $objItem.DNSServerSearchOrder[1] = Secondry DNS not always there. I need a way to return 0 if not there or the IP if its there.
      Or is there a way to tell how many objects there are in the "[?]"
      I'm terrible at WMI errors, thanks for help in advance.
      Func _GETcurrentNICinfo2() $oErrors = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "Error_Handle") Local $DnsSecondry Local $objWMIService = ObjGet( "winmgmts:\\" & @ComputerName & "\root\CIMV2" ) Local $query = $objWMIService.ExecQuery("SELECT DNSServerSearchOrder FROM Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration WHERE Index = " & _GetSelectedNIC(), "WQL", 0x30 ) If @error Then Return 0 If NOT IsObj($query) Then Return 0 Else For $objItem In $query Return $objItem.DNSServerSearchOrder[1] next Endif EndFunc  
    • By MFrancisca
      Hello! 
      I've been checking the logging UDFs in the wiki, mostly Log4a and Loga and I wanted to ask which one would you recommend for a script that will be executed remotely through PSExec. My main question is where the logs are located in that situation and if I can change that location to a custom one., because I need to retrieve them at the end of execution.
      So in a rough description the process is
      Open PSExec
      Send compiled AutoIT script to remote machine
      Execute script
      Copy logs from the remote to the local machine.

Any opinions? 
    • By ohaya
      Hi,
      I am trying to use ConsoleWrite() to output some debug to stdout/console on a Windows command (cmd) window, but it seems like nothing is being output.
      I noted that the help says:
      but what does that mean (the "compiled as a console application" part?
      I have also tried adding
      to the beginning of my .au3 and re-compiling, but when I run the .exe in a command window, nothing is being output?
      How do I get the output from ConsoleWrite() to appear?
      Thanks,
      Jim
    • By vati1011
      Hey, guys.
      Currently, I'm using Opencv UDF and i'm  encountering issues with DLLOPEN(). it is failing and returning -1
      But, I cannot figure out why it is failing.
      I need help from people.
      I'm running windows 10 32bit.
      This's my code.
      #RequireAdmin $fileopen = DllOpen("opencv_core2413.dll") MsgBox(0,"Result",$fileopen) Example.au3opencv_core2413.dll