3rd party DLL access difficulty

marekp

Go to solution Solved by Danyfirex,

You're not passing third parameter(&retError) 😅.  it's. "uint*",0

Saludos

43 minutes ago, Danyfirex said:

You're not passing third parameter(&retError) 😅.  it's. "uint*",0

Well, that certainly fixed that problem! But if I remember my C++, it's a 'default argument' ( = Null) and so is optional? The plain text documentation for the DLL doesn't even mention it:

2.2.2. LMX_func_api_Select_PnPDevice
Performs the connection process of a selected device.

[Format]

UINT8  LMX_func_api_Select_PnPDevice (
    UINT32                   dwDevIndex,
    PLMX_CONNECT_DEVICE_INFO plmxPnpDevInfo
)
[Parameters]

UINT32 dwDevIndex
Index value indicating the location where the selected device's information is stored.

PLMX_CONNECT_DEVICE_INFO plmxPnpDevInfo
Pointer of LMX_CONNECT_DEVICE_INFO structure for storing information on devices that can be connected.

[Return values]

UINT8
LMX_BOOL_TRUE is returned when information on devices that can be connected is got successfully.

[Notes]
Information on devices that can be connected needs to be got using LMX_func_api_Get_PnPDeviceInfo before processing this API..

It's also odd that the earlier invocations of DllCall (and others) managed quite well without it (expected behaviour).

Anyway, thanks again.

Yet another DllCall issue (sorry!)...

According to the reference for DllCall, the returned array should include the parameters passed by ref to the DLL function, but I'm getting a miss-match with...

Local $checkSS = 0
    Local $retError = 0
    Local $r = DllCall($hDll, "byte:cdecl", "LMX_func_api_SS_Get_Param", "uint*", $checkSS, "uint*", $retError)
    if @error Then Errorfatal("DllCall LMX_func_api_SS_Get_Param", @error)
    if $r[0] <> 1 then ErrorFatal("LMX_func_api_SS_Get_Param returned FALSE", @error)
    ConsoleWrite("Current shutter speed: " & Hex($checkSS, 8) & @CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("   " & Hex($r[1], 8) & @CRLF)

... The console being:

Current shutter speed: 00000000
   800003E8

So the DllCall returns the expected value in the return array, but the value doesn't appear in $checkSS.

The DLL function prototype is...

UINT8 LMX_API LMX_func_api_SS_Get_Param(UINT32 *pulParam, UINT32 *retError = NULL);

Any hints as to what's going wrong?

Edited by marekp

Hello.

Local $r = DllCall($hDll, "byte:cdecl", "LMX_func_api_SS_Get_Param", "uint*", 0, "uint*",0)
    if @error Then Errorfatal("DllCall LMX_func_api_SS_Get_Param", @error)
    if $r[0] <> 1 then ErrorFatal("LMX_func_api_SS_Get_Param returned FALSE", @error)
    Local $checkSS =$r[1]
    Local $retError = $r[2]
    ConsoleWrite("Current shutter speed: " & Hex($checkSS, 8) & @CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite("   " & Hex($retError, 8) & @CRLF)

Saludos

Edited by Danyfirex

No it is not a bug.  It is simply the way DllCall works.  It returns an array containing the resulting parameters of the call.  The parameters passed to the function are not modified.

57 minutes ago, Nine said:

No it is not a bug.  It is simply the way DllCall works.  It returns an array containing the resulting parameters of the call.  The parameters passed to the function are not modified.

... unless it's a structure? I didn't need to parse the return array in that case. It would be nice if the reference documentation made that distinction.

I thought I was nearly there, but have tripped over one more problem.

I'm calling a DLL function that returns a large block of binary data (about 3,5MB). Prototype is...

UINT8 LMX_API LMX_func_api_Get_Object(UINT32 ObjectHandle,UINT8* lpStoreBufAdder,UINT32 StoreBufSize, UINT32 *retError = NULL);

My code tries to invoke this with...

Local $str_LMX_func_api_Get_Object_Struct = "uint ObjectHandle;byte lpStoreBufAdder[" & $fsize & "];uint StoreBufSize;"
    Local $LfaGOS = DllStructCreate($str_LMX_func_api_Get_Object_Struct)
    if @error Then Errorfatal("DllStructCreate", @error)

Local $r = DllStructSetData($LfaGOS, "ObjectHandle", $hObj)
    if @error Then Errorfatal("DllStructSetData", @error)
    Local $r = DllStructSetData($LfaGOS, "StoreBufSize", $fsize)
    if @error Then Errorfatal("DllStructSetData", @error)

ConsoleWrite("Call..." & @crlf)
    Local $r = DllCall($hDll, "byte:cdecl", "LMX_func_api_Get_Object", "ptr", DllStructGetPtr($LfaGOS), "uint*", 0)
    if @error Then Errorfatal("DllCall LMX_func_api_Get_Object", @error)
    ConsoleWrite("   ... done" & @crlf)

... and all goes well till the DllCall function crashes.

Any hints?

6 minutes ago, Danp2 said:

It appears that you are trying to include the parameters into your structure. That's not the way it works AFAIK.

I thought I had to do it that way otherwise there's no way of defining the size of the buffer (in bytes). I originally tried without the DllStruct stuff, e.g., 

Local $imageData[$fsize]

Local $r = DllCall($hDll, "byte:cdecl", "LMX_func_api_Get_Object", "uint", $hObj, "ptr", $imageData, "uint", $fsize, "uint*", $retError)

... but that crashed too and in retrospect I couldn't see how it would know the 'size' (bytes) since AutoIt variable are untyped. Using structs seemed the way round it.

Is there another way (other than via structures) of getting a pointer to a memory buffer of a given size? I couldn't find anything obviously appropriate.

As for the size,  $fsize was the size I was given for the object via an earlier DLL function call, so it *should* be right. Making it twice as big didn't help.

Post DLL API documentation(header declaration etc). It would be easier for us to help you. 

Saludos

8 minutes ago, Danyfirex said:

Post DLL API documentation(header declaration etc). It would be easier for us to help you. 

I posted the DLL function prototype about 2 hours ago 😉 Perhaps I should have started a new thread?

Anyway, I've found something that works: I used a DllStruct only for the big buffer rather than for the full set of parameters:

Local $buffer = DllStructCreate("byte[" & $fsize & "]")
    Local $pBuffer = DllStructGetPtr($buffer)

ConsoleWrite("Call..." & @crlf)
    Local $r = DllCall($hDll, "byte:cdecl", "LMX_func_api_Get_Object", "uint", $hObj, "ptr", $pBuffer, "uint", $fsize, "uint*", 0)
    if @error Then Errorfatal("DllCall LMX_func_api_Get_Object", @error)
    ConsoleWrite("   ... done" & @crlf)

... and this seemed to work better. Although I still don't understand why the original code caused a crash. It seemed 'legitimate'.

Thanks all!

It crashed before. because you're missing some parameters I think.

Your last method is the correct method to go with. 

PD: stay in this thread is ok.

Saludos

Edited by Danyfirex