Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
water

Color management for Excel Charts

7 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Is anyone familiar with the color management of Excel with charts? Is there any good reading you can recommend?

MSDN just gives a listing of all objects, methods and properties but no explanation how they are related and how to use them?

Properties like Color, ColorIndex, SchemeColor, ObjectThemeColor, ThemeColor confuse me a bit.

Any hint is greatly appreciated.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2016-08-18 - Version 1.4.6.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2016-05-09 - Version 1.2.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#3 ·  Posted (edited)

Taietel, thanks for the reply.

The pdf is a quite good reading and gives a lot of information what color to use for which purpose.

Where I need information is how to use the COM objects, methods and properties.

Color: lets you specify the color as red, green, blue values

ColorIndex: lets you specify the color as a number from 0-56 of the current color palette.

SchemeColor: When I want to color a fill I have to use SchemeColor (values from 0-56) but it seems to use a different color palette because I get different colors compared to ColorIndex.

So I need a good reading explaining how to use the different methods and properties. It should explain Excel 2007 and Excel 2010.

Thanks

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2016-08-18 - Version 1.4.6.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (2016-05-09 - Version 1.2.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki
Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Thanks a lot! Exactly what I need to start. Will keep me busy for quite some time.

Do you know of something similar for Excel 2007 and later? I know that Microsoft made big changes to the charting engine after Excel 2003. Charts created in Excel 2003 or earlier look completely different in Excel 2007 (in respect of colors). Themes were added so there are a lot of possibilities in the newer versions of Excel.

The findings will go into our ExcelChart UDF. As soon as we understand how colors are handled by Excel 2007 and Excel 2010 we will release the first alpha of our UDF.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki
Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki
Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• aiter
      _Excel_RangeFind fails
      By aiter
      I have tried to use _Excel_RangFind, but it fails. It even fails in the example in the help file (see example 1).
      This the error
      >Running AU3Check (3.3.14.2) from:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3 input:C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Examples\Helpfile\_Excel_RangeFind.au3 +>12:09:10 AU3Check ended.rc:0 >Running:(3.3.14.2):C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\autoit3.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Examples\Helpfile\_Excel_RangeFind.au3" --> Press Ctrl+Alt+Break to Restart or Ctrl+Break to Stop "C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoIt3\Include\Excel.au3" (656) : ==> The requested action with this object has failed.: $aResult[$iIndex][1] = $oMatch.Name.Name $aResult[$iIndex][1] = $oMatch^ ERROR My own code fails with a similar message
      Local $aResult = _Excel_RangeFind($oWorkbook, "john") _ArrayDisplay($aResult) Help please.

• jloyzaga
      _ExcelReadSheetToArray
      By jloyzaga
      I used to be able to do this below - I obviously have updated my copy of autoit so what do I use in its place?

Dim $aArrayAUT = _ExcelReadSheetToArray($oExcel1)
    • SorryButImaNewbie
      ExcelUDF _RangeInsert (SOLVED)
      By SorryButImaNewbie
      Hello esteem users of this forum!
      I have a little problem with the _excel_rangeinsert.
      I organize an array in the excel (like from A:8 to S:114) with rangesort. I make it ascending according to a code first, then by a country as follow:
      _Excel_RangeSort($ExcelObject, Default, $ColumnOfArrayStart & $CellNumb & ":" & $EndColumnOfArray & $MelysegSzamlalo, $KNKODoszlop & ":" & $KNKODoszlop,$xlAscending,Default,$xlYes,Default,$xlSortColumns,$RENDTAGALLAMoszlop & ":" & $RENDTAGALLAMoszlop,$xlAscending) If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel UDF: _Excel_RangeSort Example 1", "Error sorting data." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended) ;MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Excel UDF: _Excel_RangeSort Report", "Data successfully sorted in range" & $ColumnOfArrayStart & $CellNumb & ":" & $EndColumnOfArray & $MelysegSzamlalo) where $KNKODoszlop is holding the latter of the ID code or somethingcolumn, while $RENDTAGALLAMoszlop is the country code columns latter (PL, UK etc.). This happens without a glitch.
      Now I try to insert 2 new rows everywhere where a) the KNKOD changes, or b ) if the KNKOD the same but the country code is different.
      To do this I played around with this code: (after failing first to do both I try to make it work with one for start)
      Local $CellaOlvasoSzamlalo = $CellNumb + 1 ;MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Értesítés", "A $CellaOlvasoSzamlalo : " & $CellaOlvasoSzamlalo ) Do Local $KNKODOlvaso1 = _Excel_RangeRead($ExcelObject, Default, $KNKODoszlop & $CellaOlvasoSzamlalo) Local $KNKODOlvaso2 = _Excel_RangeRead($ExcelObject, Default, $KNKODoszlop & $CellaOlvasoSzamlalo + 1) If $KNKODOlvaso1 <> $KNKODOlvaso2 Then _Excel_RangeInsert($ExcelObject, $CellaOlvasoSzamlalo + 1 & ":2") EndIf $CellaOlvasoSzamlalo = $CellaOlvasoSzamlalo + 1 Until $KNKODOlvaso2 = "" ;and $RENDTAGALLAMOlvaso2 = "" So I have the $Cellnumb which contains the first row of the array im working with (the header, with titels like countrycode) from before this part of the code (Local, in the same function, I tried to cast it to Int, results are the same if I do, It should be int anyway) from it, I "calculate" "$CellaOlvasoSzamlalo" (sorry for Hungarian names ) Then use that to create a Do Until loop to check if the result of a cell is different from the cell beneth it in the KNKOD column, if its different, it should insert 2 rows between them. At least in my mind. After that it incrase the CellaOlvasoSzamlalo to go down to the next cell, and do this until the cell it reads is empty (and of the array).

I tried to play around with a few different ways, the best I could achive was that it inserted 9 rows to the 2. row. (there were 9 different KNKOD in my test excel). 
      I'm not sure what mi missing, I think that the rangeinsert $Range is read as: "number1:number2" where number1 is the row where I want to insert while number2 is how many rows correct?
      Anyway, I welcome any help or nudge of direction or insight if someone is willing to help.
      Thank you, and have a nice life
    • PINTO1927
      GUICtrlCreateListView Excel
      By PINTO1927
      Hello guys,
      I built a gui where a GUICtrlCreateListView with two columns is present.
      Through an "Import" button I would be able to import the contents of an .xls or .txt.
      Can you help me?
      Thank's
    • jloyzaga
      trying to do this in vbs - no go - creat dropdown list
      By jloyzaga
      I'm trying to read an excel spreadsheet(SWW_TestFlow, Worksheet=Controller) and creating a dropdown list from all the cell values within a specific column("G").   
      I would like to have the dropdown behave in such a way as to allow multiple selections and for all those selections to be written to a file.
      I attached a file I started with to experiment with gui and controls etc but got totally lost.......
      Can somebody help me?
      Joe
      multi-new.au3