URL Links (doc, xls) and how to open...

nitekram

I do not even know where to begin my search.

I am trying to open a link the same way Office applications open embedded links within the file. I want to bypass opening the link into a browser, as that is slow, and there is authenication to have to pass through. If I open the link in the office application, it simplies opens the file in what ever application it is associated to. How would I go about doing the same thing within AutoIt - I have tried using the Word UDF, but that is rather slow, and it asked me to authenicate.

I have to do nothing in the office application, except wait, and it opens in less than about 15-20 seconds.

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

When working with any Microsoft DOM, you can google the vbscript equivalent, and figure out how to do it...vbscript is very similar to autoit...or do a forum search

Google:

vbscript word get links

IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

I have the existing example from the help files, but as I said, it takes a lot longer than just opening it in outlook, or any of the other office applications.

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <Word.au3>

; Create application object
Local $oWord = _Word_Create()
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocOpen Example", _
        "Error creating a new Word application object." & @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)

; *****************************************************************************
; Open a document read-only
; *****************************************************************************
;Local $sDocument = @ScriptDir & "\Extras\Test.doc"
Local $sDocument = "HTTPS://server.com/document.doc" ; tried and does not work...
Local $sDocument = "\\server.com\document.doc" ; tried and does works, but takes too long
_Word_DocOpen($oWord, $sDocument, Default, Default, True)
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocOpen Example 1", "Error opening " & "'" & $sDocument & "'" & "." & _
        @CRLF & "@error = " & @error & ", @extended = " & @extended)
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Word UDF: _Word_DocOpen Example 1", "Document '" & $sDocument & "' has been opened successfully.")

I will keep looking, but the other code I found for it was about the same as AutoIt

Here is the VBScript

Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Set Word = CreateObject("Word.Application")
    Word.Visible = TRUE
    Word.Documents.Open("C:My Documentsmyfile.doc")
End Sub

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

When you use

Local $sDocument = "\\server.com\document.doc"

then the time is spent by Windows to access the share and fetch the document to the local PC, store it in a temporary location etc.
Can you manually copy the file to your local drive and open it using _Word_DocOpen?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

That is what I would think too. Time to go out to server and retrieve the file via Word.

But the time needed to open the same documeny from a link in Outlook is quick - really quick, though it is a URL and not a path to a file. I am trying to find that kind of speed. In fact it does not even open IE, it just opens Word. I found this by accident, when I clicked on a link for an updated process. I figured it might be in either the Word UDF or the Outlook UDF, but nothing was in outlook, and only the test above for Word.

I will try this tomorrow - I will see if I can call Word with a command line and the file path, and see the length of time needed.

Edited by nitekram

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

This document describes the command line switches for Word.

"/t filename" should be what you are looking for.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I think the overhead because Autoit is an interpreted language should be negligible in this case.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

This document describes the command line switches for Word.

"/t filename" should be what you are looking for.

That got me to the right location...but I used the /h switch, as it was on a sharepoint server. That opens it just as fast as opening the link in Outlook.

Thanks for the great link.

For those that want to try it out.

windows key R - RUN

WinWord /h https://LOCATION OF DOC

or in AutoIt

Run("C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice15WINWORD.EXE /h https://LOCATION OF DOC")

All by me:

From my dad

WindowsError.gif

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

Glad to be of service :)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki