Jon

PowerShell script to self-elevate

6 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

I'm writing a set of PowerShell scripts/library for Windows 10 builds. One thing I often want to do is to browse to the location of a script that is part of a larger group of scripts and run it manually to do an install or make a one off change. So I like all my scripts to work well whether run from a task sequence or double-clicked in explorer.

Most of my build scripts rely on having admin rights so I like to make them able to self-elevate if required - or at least give an error message. In PowerShell 4.0 (Windows 8.1) they added the #Requires -RunAsAdministrator statement but this won't do it for you - it just causes the script to abort if not admin. 

Below is a PowerShell script that does the following:

• Checks for admin rights using the Test-IsAdmin function
  • If not admin:
    • Get the full script path and working directory using the Get-UNCFromPath function
    • If the paths are mapped drives then get the UNC version (drive mappings are lost when elevating from user to admin in most configurations)
    • Execute PowerShell.exe with the UNC path of the script and the RunAs verb to trigger elevation. ExecutionPolicy is also set to Bypass on the command line. The working directory is also set to the UNC path version.
    • Waits for the new process to finish, and captures its return code
    • Exits using the same return code

Script is as follows:

# Test if admin
function Test-IsAdmin() 
{
    # Get the current ID and its security principal
    $windowsID = [System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()
    $windowsPrincipal = new-object System.Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal($windowsID)

# Get the Admin role security principal
    $adminRole=[System.Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole]::Administrator

# Are we an admin role?
    if ($windowsPrincipal.IsInRole($adminRole))
    {
        $true
    }
    else
    {
        $false
    }
}

# Get UNC path from mapped drive
function Get-UNCFromPath
{
   Param(
    [Parameter(Position=0, Mandatory=$true, ValueFromPipeline=$true)]
    [String]
    $Path)

if ($Path.Contains([io.path]::VolumeSeparatorChar)) 
    {
        $psdrive = Get-PSDrive -Name $Path.Substring(0, 1) -PSProvider 'FileSystem'

# Is it a mapped drive?
        if ($psdrive.DisplayRoot) 
        {
            $Path = $Path.Replace($psdrive.Name + [io.path]::VolumeSeparatorChar, $psdrive.DisplayRoot)
        }
    }

return $Path
 }

# Relaunch the script if not admin
function Invoke-RequireAdmin
{
    Param(
    [Parameter(Position=0, Mandatory=$true, ValueFromPipeline=$true)]
    [System.Management.Automation.InvocationInfo]
    $MyInvocation)

if (-not (Test-IsAdmin))
    {
        # Get the script path
        $scriptPath = $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Path
        $scriptPath = Get-UNCFromPath -Path $scriptPath

# Need to quote the paths in case of spaces
        $scriptPath = '"' + $scriptPath + '"'

# Build base arguments for powershell.exe
        [string[]]$argList = @('-NoLogo -NoProfile', '-ExecutionPolicy Bypass', '-File', $scriptPath)

# Add 
        $argList += $MyInvocation.BoundParameters.GetEnumerator() | Foreach {"-$($_.Key)", "$($_.Value)"}
        $argList += $MyInvocation.UnboundArguments

try
        {    
            $process = Start-Process PowerShell.exe -PassThru -Verb Runas -Wait -WorkingDirectory $pwd -ArgumentList $argList
            exit $process.ExitCode
        }
        catch {}

# Generic failure code
        exit 1 
    }
}

# Relaunch if not admin
Invoke-RequireAdmin $script:MyInvocation

# Running as admin if here
$wshell = New-Object -ComObject Wscript.Shell
$wshell.Popup("Script is running as admin", 0, "Done", 0x1) | Out-Null

Edited by Jon
3 people like this

I feel I'm reading Chinese when I look at PowerShell scripts, am I the only one?

Well :: is used for static methods/properties in PHP, though I have to admit it's like a mixture of everything in there.

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 04/09/2015

There appears to be a module in Windows 10 Powershell called AutoItX that includes Assert-AU3IsAdmin.  It returns 1 if run as administrator and 0 if not.  At least on my machine.  YMMV.

David Nuttall
Nuttall Computer Consulting

An Aquarius born during the Age of Aquarius

AutoIt allows me to re-invent the wheel so much faster.

I'm off to write a wizard, a wonderful wizard of odd...

Hey, don't know if you are still looking for a solution, but if you past the following code at the beginning of your powershell script, it will elevate it for you

function Use-RunAs 
{    
    # Check if script is running as Adminstrator and if not use RunAs 
    # Use Check Switch to check if admin 

param([Switch]$Check) 

$IsAdmin = ([Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal] [Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent()` 
        ).IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltInRole] "Administrator") 

if ($Check) { return $IsAdmin }     

if ($MyInvocation.ScriptName -ne "") 
    {  
        if (-not $IsAdmin)  
        {  
            try 
            {  
                $arg = "-file `"$($MyInvocation.ScriptName)`"" 
                Start-Process "$psHome\powershell.exe" -Verb Runas -ArgumentList $arg -ErrorAction 'stop'  
            } 
            catch 
            { 
                Write-Warning "Error - Failed to restart script with runas"  
                break               
            } 
            exit # Quit this session of powershell 
        }  
    }  
    else  
    {  
        Write-Warning "Error - Script must be saved as a .ps1 file first"  
        break  
    }  
} 

# Example 
Use-RunAs

(Rest of code goes here)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• hemichallenger
      By hemichallenger
      Not sure if this is possible or if someone has already tackled this. Is it possible to embed PowerShell into a GUI? Autoit is great for quick function but sometime I need to run a command thru PowerShell. It be great to have PowerShell console embedded into the gui.
    • BigDaddyO
      By BigDaddyO
      After much searching I finally found a method to get eMails from an Exchange eMail account inbox.  I was hoping for AutoIT or vbscript but I couldn't find any that would read the inbox messages without using Outlook.
      I needed this because I'm testing a web-form that generates an eMail sent to a shared mailbox "not what my current outlook is configured for".  so, I needed to connect to a different account, then get the inbox messages, and see if the auto-generated eMail message body contains what I submitted in the form.

I found a PowerShell script that was close and modified it to do just what I want, but I'd still like it to run in AutoIT but I'm not sure how to use the Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll
      Anybody have some ideas? 
      #To Launch! # C:\Windows\System32> powershell -ExecutionPolicy ByPass #This launches PowerShell and allows execution of .ps1 files # PS C:\Windows\System32> . "C:\Temp\eMail\getInbox.ps1" #The period . in front of the .ps1 file forces PS to display results on-screen # Where is the EWS .DLL file that you are using # Get the installer from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42022 # We only need 2 dll's from the install and they can be stored anywhere: "Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Auth.dll" & "Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll" $EWSdll = "C:\Temp\eMail\Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.dll" # Where do you want the output text file to be saved $Output = "C:\Temp\eMails.txt" # replace with your email address $email = "MyemailAddress@work.net" # only need to populate these if you're impersonating... $username = "myemail" $password = "Sup3rS3cre+" $domain = "ad.work.net" # load the assembly : point to the dll in the location you have the .dll file [void] [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFile($EWSdll) # set ref to exchange, first references 2007, 2nd is 2010 (default) #$s = New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeVersion]::Exchange2007_SP1) $s = New-Object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService # use first option if you want to impersonate, otherwise, grab your own credentials with the 3rd one. not sure what the 2nd one is for $s.Credentials = New-Object Net.NetworkCredential($username, $password, $domain) ##$s.Credentials = [System.Net.CredentialCache]::DefaultNetworkCredentials #$s.UseDefaultCredentials = $true # discover the url from your email address $s.AutodiscoverUrl($email) # get a handle to the inbox $inbox = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.Folder]::Bind($s,[Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.WellKnownFolderName]::Inbox) #create a property set (to let us access the body & other details not available from the FindItems call) $psPropertySet = new-object Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.PropertySet([Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.BasePropertySet]::FirstClassProperties) $psPropertySet.RequestedBodyType = [Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.BodyType]::Text; # If you have a set number of items you want to get, use this and insert the # in the () # $items = $inbox.FindItems(5) # If you want to retrieve all items (Server limit is usually at 1000) then use this line # Details on the max returned by server: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/exchangedev/2010/03/12/throttling-policies-and-the-ewsfindcountlimit/ $items = $inbox.FindItems($inbox.TotalCount) # Put some counts at the top of the output Write-host "Total Inbox count: $($inbox.TotalCount)" Write-host "Unread count: $($inbox.UnreadCount)" #These two lines, write the output to the specified text file Add-Content $Output "Total Inbox count: $($inbox.TotalCount)" Add-Content $Output "Unread count: $($inbox.UnreadCount)" foreach ($item in $items.Items) { # load the property set to allow us to get to the body $item.load($psPropertySet) # Get the Body text as-is $bod = $item.Body.Text #if you only want a short summary of the Body, then comment the above line and un-comment these 4 lines # $bod = $item.Body.Text -replace '\s+', ' ' # $bodCutOff = (100,$bod.Length | Measure-Object -Minimum).Minimum # $bod = $bod.Substring(0,$bodCutOff) # $bod = "$bod..." # output the results - first of all the From, Subject, References and Message ID write-host "====================================================================" Write-host "From: $($item.From.Name)" Write-host "Subject: $($item.Subject)" Write-host "Body: $($bod)" write-host "====================================================================" "" # Output the results to the specified Text file Add-Content $Output "" Add-Content $Output "====================================================================" Add-Content $Output "From: $($item.From.Name)" Add-Content $Output "Subject: $($item.Subject)" Add-Content $Output "Body:",$($bod) Add-Content $Output "====================================================================" Add-Content $Output "" } #see these URLs for more info # EWS Stuff # folder members: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.exchange.webservices.data.folder_members%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx # exporting headers: https://www.allabout365.com/2010/10/export-email-headers-exchange-powershell/ # read emails with EWS: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3fbf8348-2945-43aa-a0bc-f3b1d34da27c/read-emails-with-ews?forum=exchangesvrdevelopment  
      Thanks,
      Mike
    • Jibberish
      By Jibberish
      Hi all,
      I need to read a log file into an array, but the log file is encoded as $FO_UTF16_BE_NOBOM (2048) = Use Unicode UTF16 Big Endian (without BOM) per FileGetEncoding (it returns 2048).
      I have searched how to convert these log files to UTF-8 and finally found a Powershell command. Since then I have been racking my brain trying to get the function to work. The command itself works from a Powerscript prompt:
      C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command Get-Content C:\Logs\Myplayer_10-10-17-02-31.log | Set-Content -Encoding utf8 C:\Logs\Myplayer1.log This is my sandbox;
      #include <array.au3> #include <File.au3> Local $aArrayLogFile Local $sLogDir = "C:\Logs\" Local $sLogFile = "Myplayer_10-10-17-02-31.log" Local $sConvertedLog = "ConvertedLog.log" Local $sLogDirFile = $sLogDir&$sLogFile RunWait("C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command Get-Content "&$sLogDirFile&" | Set-Content -Encoding utf8 "&$sConvertedLog,$sLogDir) _FileReadToArray($sLogDirFile, $aArrayLogFile) _ArrayDisplay($aArrayLogFile) Also tried
      RunWait("C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -Command Get-Content "&$sLogDirFile&" | Set-Content -Encoding utf8 "&$sConvertedLog,$sLogDir) and
      ShellExecuteWait("C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe"," -Command Get-Content "&$sLogDirFile&" | Set-Content -Encoding utf8 "&$sConvertedLog,$sLogDir) Tried without -Command and a bunch of other parameters that were sprinkled throughout the internet from people trying to get this to work.
      Thanks
      Jibs
    • ur
      By ur
      I am maintaining all the reusable code in a separate file as library.au3.
      In that file I have referenced some dependent files using fileinstall, so that they will be extracted when necessary.

Problem is, if I use a function in the library.au3 in another script which doesn't require this dependent file, as I am including the whole file using include tag, it is embedding that file also.
      Is there any way to exclude that.

• tcurran
      By tcurran
      Here's a short UDF that will, at least in most cases, detect whether a window can be copied from or pasted to programmatically--for example, by Send()ing ctl-c, ctl-v. This is often disabled when programs (like your AutoIt script) run at a lower UAC integrity level than the application they are trying to operate on.
      #include <WinAPI.au3> Func _WindowIsPasteable($handle) ;accepts window handle; returns true or false whether a window will accept Ctl-C, Ctl-V Local $bCanPaste = True Local $hTestWindowPID = 0 Local $hTestWindowTID = _WinAPI_GetWindowThreadProcessId($handle, $hTestWindowPID) _WinAPI_AttachThreadInput(_WinAPI_GetCurrentThreadId(), $hTestWindowTID, True);attach to window we want to paste into $bCanPaste = _WinAPI_GetFocus() ;Test whether window is paste-able--returns False if it is not _WinAPI_AttachThreadInput(_WinAPI_GetCurrentThreadId, $hTestWindowTID, False);detach from window thread Return $bCanPaste EndFunc Pass it a window handle; it returns true or false whether a window will accept programmatic pasting. The function may not work on the CMD window, since it handles the clipboard uniquely.
      This function works by attaching to the program thread of the window whose handle it receives, then attempting to perform a GetFocus on that thread. In most cases, the attempt will fail if the window will not accept programmatic copy-paste.