Maps 101: All you need to know about them!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Again! I previously stumbled upon a topic asking for maps datatype's instructions... I too wasn't sure what a map is until I tried it... So I am making this topic to help other newbies (and some

The map data type is available in many popular programming languages, and has certain uses that traditional arrays aren't quite as suited-for, especially in an interpreted language such as AutoIt. You

Since it looks like some people were unsure of what I was trying to say in my benchmark, I've edited my post about the benchmark with this clarification:

Wow this looks cool, I am sure it will come in handy.  I just sort of got comfortable with Arrays not too long ago, I assume that Maps are going to be sort of like RegEx.

"The best practice is to not use them unless you need them" and still stick to Arrays for most tasks.

I would love to see some real life examples however of where a map can more easily do what an array could not so that I can sort of wrap my head around when this would be best used or make a task easier. 

use a For..In Loop, instead of a For...To Loop.     Unless thats bad form, imho it looks cleaner.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

$mParkMap["Map Item 1"] = "Cottan Candy Stand"
$mParkMap["Map Item 2"] = "Public Toilet"
$mMapOfMapsvilla["Map Item 3"] = "Woods"

I don't get that bit.

Are you deliberately moving the woods in the park to the shopping mall in mapsvilla?

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

@JohnOne :P People in the shopping mall wanted some sandal wood

@boththose How can I get the key to the element if I use For...In?

Edited by TheDcoder
forgot to reply boththose

EasyCodeIt - A cross-platform AutoIt implementation

DcodingTheWeb Forum - Follow for updates and Join for discussion

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

; Lets create our map first
Local $mMap[]

; Lets add some information to the map, feel free to modify & add new elements
$mMap["Name"] = "Damon Harris"
$mMap["Alias"] = "TheDcoder"
$mMap["Gender"] = "Male"
$mMap["Age"] = 14
$mMap["Location"] = "India"

$aMapKeys = MapKeys($mMap) ; MapKeys function returns all the keys in the format of an array
Local $sProfile = "Profile of " & $mMap[$aMapKeys[0]] & ':' & @CRLF ; We will use this string later

For $Key In $aMapKeys
    msgbox(0, '' , $Key & " = " & $mMap[$Key])
next

You can also keep your Funcs in your map with your data

; Lets create our map first
Local $mMap[]

; Lets add some information to the map, feel free to modify & add new elements
$mMap["Name"] = "Damon Harris"
$mMap["Alias"] = "TheDcoder"
$mMap["Gender"] = "Male"
$mMap["Age"] = 14
$mMap["Location"] = "India"
$mMap["Keys"] = MapKeys($mMap)

For $Key In $mMap["Keys"]
    If $Key <> "Keys" Then msgbox(0, '' , $Key & " = " & $mMap[$Key])
next

Edited by boththose

I really don't like documenting alpha (not beta) functionality in the open Forum, because it's suggesting that this will at some point be included in a future release of AutoIt, unless @TheDcoder has been told something I don't know about?!

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

@guinness I think I will update the introduction to be more specific on the current stage of development of maps :)

@TheDcoder has been told something I don't know about?!

Ummm... Maybe.... Maybe Not :P

i would want to explore maps in maps to achieve the OP.  start at the smallest unit throwing them into larger and larger containers..

Local $mMapGlo[]
Local $mMapLocAus[]
Local $mMapLocDal[]
Local $mMapPersonNorth[]
Local $mMapPersonSouth[]
Local $mMapPersonDallas[]

$mMapPersonNorth["Jeff"] = "Jeff in N. Austin"
$mMapPersonSouth["Jack"] = "Jack in S. Austin"
$mMapPersonDallas["John"] = "John in Dallas"

$mMapLocAus["NorthAus"] = $mMapPersonNorth
$mMapLocAus["SouthAus"] = $mMapPersonSouth
$mMapLocDal["Dallas"] = $mMapPersonDallas

$mMapGlo["CentralTx"] = $mMapLocAus
$mMapGlo["NorthTx"] = $mMapLocDal

For $loc in $mMapGlo
    For $key in mapkeys($loc)
        For $item in $loc[$key]
            msgbox(0, '' , $key & @LF & $item)
        Next
    Next
next

• 2 weeks later...

maps are similar to scripting.dictionary which is similar to an ini which i guess is similar to a 2D array with equal signs?

Edited by boththose

@MartinMarris  I thinks its a yes... I am not familiar with the concept of dynamic arrays but a quick google search explained me about them, though I didn't use them, I can say that a Map is similar (not same) to dynamic arrays, Resizing a map (i.e adding or removing elements from it) is faster compared to arrays.

Sorry for late reply, I was busy, TD :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By DJ143
      I have a autoit exe file which is used in upload/browse file functionality.  This has been integrated with selenium framework and I am invoking the autoit exe using Java process and runtime. 
      Now the issue is when I run the scripts and invoke the autoit exe in local it works perfectly.  But when I use selenium grid or jenkins to run the scripts in another windows server it is not working.
      Can anyone please suggest any solution for this?
    • By Hermes
      Hello, the script below will read column A from an excel file - and if a value matches in the browser, it will click the corresponding link and click on a specific button to paste the data, then writes "Completed" in Column B. It will continue to read from the excel file and do the same thing for all the remaining rows.
      #Include "Chrome.au3" #Include "wd_core.au3" #Include "wd_helper.au3" #Include "WinHttp.au3" #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3> #include <File.au3> #include <IE.au3> #include <Array.au3> #include <INet.au3> #include <AutoItConstants.au3> #include <WinAPIFiles.au3> #include <GDIPlus.au3> #include <Excel.au3> #Include "WinHttp.au3" #Include "_HtmlTable2Array.au3" Local $sDesiredCapabilities, $sSession SetupChrome() _WD_Startup() $sSession = _WD_CreateSession($sDesiredCapabilities) _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_Navigate($sSession, "table1.html") _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_WaitElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, "//table[@class='main']") Local $sElement = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, "//table[@class='main']") ;ConsoleWrite ("mat-table " & $sElement & @CRLF) Local $aArray1 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, ".//td[contains(@class,'data')]", $sElement, True) sleep(1000) For $i = 0 to UBound($aArray1) - 1 $aArray1[$i] = _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $aArray1[$i], 'text') Next ;_ArrayDisplay($aArray1) ;Email variables $SmtpServer = "" ; address for the smtp-server to use - REQUIRED $FromName = "Hermes" ; name from who the email was sent $FromAddress = "sender@gmail.com" ; address from where the mail should come $ToAddress = "recipient@gmail.com" ; destination address of the email - REQUIRED, use commas (,) to add more email addresses $Subject = "File not found" ; subject from the email - can be anything you want it to be $Body = "File not found!" ; the messagebody from the mail - can be left blank but then you get a blank mail $AttachFiles = "" ; the file(s) you want to attach seperated with a ; (Semicolon) - leave blank if not needed $CcAddress = "" ; address for cc - leave blank if not needed $BccAddress = "" ; address for bcc - leave blank if not needed $Importance = "High" ; Send message priority: "High", "Normal", "Low" $Username = "" ; username for the account used from where the mail gets sent - REQUIRED $Password = "" ; password for the account used from where the mail gets sent - REQUIRED $IPPort = 25 ; port used for sending the mail $ssl = 0 ; enables/disables secure socket layer sending - put to 1 if using httpS $tls = 0 ; enables/disables TLS when required Local $oAppl = _Excel_Open() Local $sWorkbook = "c:\test.xlsx" Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oAppl, $sWorkbook) ;open excel and pass both parameters If FileExists($sWorkbook) Then ;Check if the file exist. Local $oAppl = _Excel_Open() Local $sWorkbook = "c:\test.xlsx" Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oAppl, $sWorkbook) ;open excel and pass both parameters Local $aArray2 = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook,Default,$oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Usedrange.Columns("A:A")) Local $iIdx Local $Skipline = 0 ;0==> first line Do Local $temprf For $i = 0 To UBound($aArray2) - 1 $temprf &= $aArray2[$i] _WD_WaitElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, ".//a[contains(@class,'edit') and contains(text(),'Edit')]") Local $aElement = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByXPath, ".//a[contains(@class,'edit') and contains(text(),'Edit')]", $sElement, True) $iIdx = _ArraySearch($aArray1, $aArray2[$i]) If @error Then ContinueLoop _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $aElement[$iIdx], 'click') If $i < $Skipline Then ContinueLoop $oRange = $oWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Range("B" & $i + 1 & ":XFD" & $i + 1) _Excel_RangeCopyPaste($oWorkbook.Activesheet, $oRange) ;Paste Local $oTest4 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "pastebutton") _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $oTest4, 'click') Sleep(1000) ;Save Button Local $save3 = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "button.button") _WD_ElementAction($sSession, $save3, 'click') _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook, $oWorkbook.Activesheet, "Completed", "B" & $i+1) sleep(1000) Next Until (Not @error) _Excel_Close($oWorkbook) Else _INetSmtpMailCom($SmtpServer, $FromName, $FromAddress, $ToAddress, $Subject, $Body, $CcAddress, $BccAddress, $Importance, $Username, $Password, $IPPort, $ssl, $tls) Exit EndIf _WD_LoadWait($sSession) ;Attaching files to emails Func _INetSmtpMailCom($s_SmtpServer, $s_FromName, $s_FromAddress, $s_ToAddress, $s_Subject = "", $as_Body = "", $s_CcAddress = "", $s_BccAddress = "", $s_Importance="Normal", $s_Username = "", $s_Password = "", $IPPort = 25, $ssl = 0, $tls = 0) Local $objEmail = ObjCreate("CDO.Message") $objEmail.From = '"' & $s_FromName & '" <' & $s_FromAddress & '>' $objEmail.To = $s_ToAddress Local $i_Error = 0 Local $i_Error_desciption = "" If $s_CcAddress <> "" Then $objEmail.Cc = $s_CcAddress If $s_BccAddress <> "" Then $objEmail.Bcc = $s_BccAddress $objEmail.Subject = $s_Subject If StringInStr($as_Body, "<") And StringInStr($as_Body, ">") Then $objEmail.HTMLBody = $as_Body Else $objEmail.Textbody = $as_Body & @CRLF EndIf $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2 $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = $s_SmtpServer If Number($IPPort) = 0 then $IPPort = 25 $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = $IPPort ;Authenticated SMTP If $s_Username <> "" Then $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = 1 $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") = $s_Username $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = $s_Password EndIf ; Set security params If $ssl Then $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl") = True If $tls Then $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item ("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendtls") = True ;Update settings $objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Update ; Set Email Importance Switch $s_Importance Case "High" $objEmail.Fields.Item ("urn:schemas:mailheader:Importance") = "High" Case "Normal" $objEmail.Fields.Item ("urn:schemas:mailheader:Importance") = "Normal" Case "Low" $objEmail.Fields.Item ("urn:schemas:mailheader:Importance") = "Low" EndSwitch $objEmail.Fields.Update ; Sent the Message $objEmail.Send $objEmail="" EndFunc ;==>_INetSmtpMailCom Local $aDir = _FileListToArrayRec(@TempDir, "scoped_dir*;chrome_*", $FLTAR_FOLDERS, $FLTAR_NORECUR, $FLTAR_NOSORT, $FLTAR_FULLPATH) Sleep(2000) For $i = 1 To $aDir[0] DirRemove($aDir[$i], $DIR_REMOVE) Next _WD_LoadWait($sSession) _WD_Shutdown() Func SetupChrome() _WD_Option('Driver', 'chromedriver.exe') _WD_Option('Port', 9515) _WD_Option('DriverParams', '--log-path="' & @ScriptDir & '\chrome.log"') $sDesiredCapabilities = '{"capabilities": {"alwaysMatch": {"goog:chromeOptions": {"w3c": true, "args":["start-maximized","disable-infobars"]}}}}' EndFunc ;==>SetupChrome If the excel file doesn't exists in the folder, it will send an email to a specific recipient.
      What i am trying figure out now is if the excel crashes while the script/loop is running, I want to relaunch the excel file continue to the last row before the excel crashed. So if the value of column B is not marked as "completed", it should continue from that row
      Appreciate any help that I can get to achieve this.
      table1.html test.xlsx
    • By adityaparakh
      Hello ,
      I am trying to use Websockets in AutoIt.
      It is to fetch live stock market prices , API is provided and documentation available for python language.
      The link for the code snippet is :
      https://symphonyfintech.com/xts-market-data-front-end-api-v2/#tag/Introduction
      https://symphonyfintech.com/xts-market-data-front-end-api-v2/#tag/Instruments/paths/~1instruments~1subscription/post

https://github.com/symphonyfintech/xts-pythonclient-api-sdk

Second Link is to subscribe to a list of ExchangeInstruments.
      Now I would like to get live stock ltp (LastTradedPrice) for a few stocks whose "ExchangeInstrumentID" I know.
      I am able to use the WinHttp object to perform actions using simple codes like below :
      I have the secretKey and appkey and can generate the needed token. And get the unique ExchangeInstrumentID.

Below code is just for example of how I am using WinHttp. Unrelated to socket part.
      Global $InteractiveAPItoken = IniRead(@ScriptDir & "\Config.ini", "token", "InteractiveAPItoken", "NA") $baseurl = "https://brokerlink.com/interactive/" $functionurl = "orders" $oHTTP = ObjCreate("winhttp.winhttprequest.5.1") $oHTTP.Open("POST", $baseurl & $functionurl, False) $oHTTP.SetRequestHeader("Content-Type", "application/json;charset=UTF-8") $oHTTP.SetRequestHeader("authorization", $InteractiveAPItoken) $pD = '{ "exchangeSegment": "NSEFO", "exchangeInstrumentID": ' & $exchangeInstrumentID & ', "productType": "' & $producttype & '", "orderType": "MARKET", "orderSide": "' & $orderside & '", "timeInForce": "DAY", "disclosedQuantity": 0, "orderQuantity": ' & $qty & ', "limitPrice": 0, "stopPrice": 0, "orderUniqueIdentifier": "' & $orderidentifier & '"}' $oHTTP.Send($pD) $oReceived = $oHTTP.ResponseText $oStatusCode = $oHTTP.Status

But am struggling to understand and use socket.
      Would be of great help if you can have a look at the link mentioned above and help with the code sample for AutoIt.
      To connect and listen to a socket.
      Thanks a lot

• By Hermes
      Hi, I have a site that has the following elements below: 
      <div>More element here</div> <div>More element here</div> <div>More element here</div> When I do this in Auto It:
      Local $oSelectDiv = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "div") _WD_HighlightElement($sSession, $oSelectDiv, 1) I also tried to add [3], but it doesnt seems to work:
      Local $oSelectDiv = _WD_FindElement($sSession, $_WD_LOCATOR_ByCSSSelector, "div[3]") _WD_HighlightElement($sSession, $oSelectDiv, 1) It always highlight the first one, but I am trying to highlight the 3rd in the list. Is there anyway to select the 3rd div without having to add any class/id in the divs, and without using XPATH? The structure of the elements in that site were built that way.
    • By meety
      My au3 script program needs administrator privileges on win10 to be executed correctly, because it needs to be added to the boot---Script code:RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", @ScriptName, "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)
      I need to let the program automatically get administrator privileges, so I use a function of #RequireAdmin. Although the program can be added to the boot, but does not execute after system boot up? why is that?
      What should I do?
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Update:
      I found that after using the #RequireAdmin function, the program cannot be executed after system boot up.
      An example is given below. after it is compiled, it will not be executed after system boot up in the following two ways.
      1. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\
      2. RegWrite("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run", @ScriptName, "REG_SZ", @ScriptFullPath)
      why is that?
      example
      #include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
      #RequireAdmin
      Func test()
          MsgBox(0, "", "this is test message")
      EndFunc   ;==>test
      test()