ViciousXUSMC

Appending Many Excel Files Together

12 posts in this topic

So I am doing a custom inventory script that creates an excel document with 4 columns and sends a copy of the excel file over to a network location.

What I end up with is a few hundred excel files each representing a single computer.  My goal is to append all of those documents together into a single document so that I can turn the data into a table for sorting and review.

I know there are a few ways to skin this cat, just not sure the easiest and best.

I was trying using com objects based on an old thread I found by searching but I fail on my Line 10 when I try to declare the $master sheet I get not an object.

I am open to any solution, and interested in the com method as well since I am learning that stuff on the side.

My Broken Script

#Include <File.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>
#Include <FileConstants.au3>

$aFiles = _FileListToArray("\\vpsfs1\pstinfo\pst info\", "*.xls", $FLTA_FILES, TRUE)

;_ArrayDisplay($aFiles)

$oEX = ObjCreate("","excel.Application")
$master = $oEX.Workbooks.Open("\\vpsfs1\pstinfo\master.xlsx")

For $i = 1 to $aFiles[0]
$another = $oEX.Workbooks.Open($aFiles[$i])
$another.Activesheet.UsedRegion.Copy
$next = StringSplit($master.ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Address,"$")
$master.Activesheet.Range("a" & Activesheet.usedrange.rows.count + 1).Select
$master.Activesheet.Paste
Next

use Excel UDF read to array and append all arrays.

Saludos

I second that. The UDF might be a bit slower but you get better error handling :)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Working on it :) I should only use ExcelOpen() once and ExcelClose() at the end after my read loop correct?  Or will I need to open/close for each iteration of the loop?

Having a few issues, even when I put everything in the loop, this only gives me a result on the first pass.  Once I get it working then I need to figure out the best way to append this to an array.

#Include <File.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>
#Include <Excel.au3>

$aFiles = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir, "*.xls", $FLTA_FILES, TRUE)
;_ArrayDisplay($aFiles)

For $i = 1 to $aFiles[0]
Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open(False)
Local $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $aFiles[$i])
Local $aResult = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, DEFAULT, DEFAULT)
_Excel_Close($oExcel, False, True)
_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
Next

#5 ·  Posted (edited)

This work For me.

#Include <File.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>
#Include <Excel.au3>

$aFiles = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir, "*.xls",$FLTA_FILES, TRUE)

For $i = 1 to $aFiles[0]
Local $aResult = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook, DEFAULT, DEFAULT)
_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
Next

close book if is needed with_Excel_BookClose

Saludos

Edited by Danyfirex
Edited

#6 ·  Posted (edited)

You should move _Excel_Open/_Excel_Close to the begin/end of the script (untested):

#Include <File.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>
#Include <Excel.au3>

$aFiles = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir, "*.xls", $FLTA_FILES, TRUE)
Global $oWorkbook, $aResult
Global $oExcel = _Excel_Open(False)
$oMaster = _Excel_BookOpen("\\vpsfs1\pstinfo\master.xlsx")
For $i = 1 to $aFiles[0]
    $oWorkbook = _Excel_BookOpen($oExcel, $aFiles[$i])
    $aResult = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook)
    _Excel_RangeWrite($oMaster, Default, $aResult, "A" & $oMaster.ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count + 1)
    _Excel_BookClose($oWorkBook, False)
Next

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#7 ·  Posted (edited)

Yes I had it that way first Water & Danny it was not working so I moved in in the loop for testing.

I think my issue maybe Excel related or something, at first my Excel_Open was not even working until I went and messed with Trust Center settings.

Edit: Also tried adding Book Close.

So it seems my issue needs to be investigated and its not because I am being dumb. 

Edited by ViciousXUSMC

Could you please insert a COM error handler to your script so we get detailed error information? Please check the helpfile for ObjEvent.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#9 ·  Posted (edited)

I fixed it, I had to turn off protected mode for these Type 2 files that are created from the ArrayToXLS UDF on the forums.

I imagine when it goes to close/save the first file it messes up the rest in the loop.

This looks good, thanks guys!

#Include <File.au3>
#Include <Array.au3>
#Include <Excel.au3>

$aFiles = _FileListToArray(@ScriptDir, "*.xls",$FLTA_FILES, TRUE)
Local $aFinalResults[0][4]

For $i = 1 to $aFiles[0]
Local $aResult = _Excel_RangeRead($oWorkbook)
;_ArrayDisplay($aResult)
_ArrayConcatenate($aFinalResults, $aResult)
Next

_ArrayDisplay($aFinalResults)

Edited by ViciousXUSMC

Do not forget to close the workbooks you opened again. Else you will end up with severel hundred of open workbooks eating up your memory.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Oh that forced excel close at the end will not close all the workbooks?

It will. But why have hundreds of worksbooks open which you no longer need?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Nareshm
      By Nareshm
      How to Activate Opened Excel Windows Using Class not Tittle, Because Some time opened defferent excel that have different name.
      I Tried with
      Winactivate ("[CLASS:XLMAIN]") but not working
    • willichan
      By willichan
      Here is another one from my archives that filled a specific need.

Here is the back story if you are interested.

Keep in mind that I wrote this script over 3 years ago, so it may not compile or run directly without some minor tweaks.  It also requires the use of GraphViz to build the graph.
      #cs ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Project Name: ExcelLinksMapper Description: Analyse an Excel file's links and map them out. Creation Date: 9/26/2014 AutoIt Version: Author: willichan Requires: Graphviz (http://graphviz.org/) #ce ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1) ;0=no, 1=require pre-declare Opt("TrayAutoPause", 0) ;0=no pause, 1=Pause Opt("TrayMenuMode", 0) ;0=append, 1=no default menu, 2=no automatic check, 4=menuitemID not return Opt("TrayIconHide", 0) ;0=show, 1=hide tray icon Global Const $MyName=StringLeft(@ScriptName, StringInStr(@ScriptName,".", 0, -1)-1) ;get just the name portion of the script/exe name Global Const $MyMutex=$MyName & "-82243BEBC30533A3" ;name the mutex for this app Global $SQLloaded = False Global $sDbName = @ScriptDir & "\db2gv.db" ConsoleWrite($sDbName & @crlf) If _MutexExists($MyMutex) Then Exit #include <SQLite.au3> #include <SQLite.dll.au3> #include <file.au3> #include <array.au3> #include <excel.au3> _ConfigInitialize() _Main() Func _ConfigInitialize() OnAutoItExitRegister("_ConfigDestroy") ;initializers here Global $sSQliteDll = _SQLite_Startup() If @error Then MsgBox(0, "SQLite Error", "could not load the DLL") Global $sSQLiteDB = _SQLite_Open($sDbName) If $sSQLiteDB = 0 Then MsgBox(0, "SQLite Error", "could not open the database") $SQLloaded =True __CreateTables() EndFunc ;==>_ConfigInitialize Func _ConfigDestroy() ;destructors here If $SQLloaded Then _SQLite_Close() _SQLite_Shutdown() EndIf EndFunc ;==>_ConfigDestroy Func _MutexExists($sOccurenceName) Local $ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS = 183, $handle, $lastError $sOccurenceName = StringReplace($sOccurenceName, "\", "") $handle = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "CreateMutex", "int", 0, "long", 1, "str", $sOccurenceName) $lastError = DllCall("kernel32.dll", "int", "GetLastError") Return $lastError[0] = $ERROR_ALREADY_EXISTS EndFunc ;==>_MutexExists Func __CreateTables() _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS nodes;") _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS nodes( name TEXT PRIMARY KEY, fileexists INTEGER);") _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS links;") _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS links( id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY, name1 TEXT, name2 TEXT, weight INTEGER);") EndFunc Func _Main() Local $sInfile, $vResult, $iErrLoop $sInfile = FileOpenDialog("Source File", @WorkingDir, "Excel files (*.xl*)", 1 + 2) If Not FileExists($sInfile) Then MsgBox(0, "Excel Links Mapper Error", "Unable to locate source file") Exit EndIf $vResult = $SQLITE_IOERR $iErrLoop = 5 While $vResult = $SQLITE_IOERR $vResult = _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "INSERT OR IGNORE INTO nodes ('name', 'fileexists') VALUES (" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sInfile) & ", 1);") If Not $vResult = $SQLITE_OK Then Sleep(100) $iErrLoop -= 1 If $iErrLoop = 0 Then ConsoleWrite($iErrLoop & " tries" & @CRLF & $sInfile & @CRLF) $vResult = $SQLITE_OK EndIf WEnd _GetExcelLinks($sInfile) Global $hOutfile = FileOpen(@ScriptDir & "\" & $MyName & ".gv", 2) If $hOutfile = -1 Then MsgBox(0, $MyName & " ERROR", "Unable to upen file for output") Exit EndIf _WriteHeader() _WriteNodes() _WriteLinks() _WriteFooter() FileClose($hOutfile) _GenerateGraph() ShellExecute(@ScriptDir & '\ExcelLinksMapper.png') EndFunc ;==>_Main Func _GetExcelLinks($strFileName) Local $hQuery, $aCount, $iErrLoop, $vResult ConsoleWrite($strFileName & @CRLF) Local $iLoop, $iExists Local $aLinks Local Const $xlExcelLinks = 1 Local $oExcel = _Excel_Open() Local $ret = _Excel_BookOpen_NoUpdate($oExcel, $strFileName, True, True) Local $err = @error If $err Then If Not IsObj($oExcel) Then ConsoleWrite($ret & " - " & $err & @CRLF) Exit EndIf EndIf $aLinks = $oExcel.ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources($xlExcelLinks) _Excel_BookClose($oExcel, False) _Excel_Close($oExcel, False, True) If IsArray($aLinks) Then If UBound($aLinks) > 0 Then For $iLoop = 0 To UBound($aLinks) - 1 If $aLinks[$iLoop] <> $strFileName Then $iExists = FileExists($aLinks[$iLoop]) ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - Calling WriteNode()") __WriteNode($aLinks[$iLoop], $iExists) ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - Calling WriteLink()") __WriteLink($strFileName, $aLinks[$iLoop]) If $iExists And ($aLinks[$iLoop] <> $strFileName) Then _GetExcelLinks($aLinks[$iLoop]) EndIf Next EndIf EndIf EndFunc ;==>_GetExcelLinks Func __WriteNode($sName, $iExists) Local $iErrLoop = 5 ;Number of attempts to make Local $vResult Do ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - WriteNode()" & @CRLF & " _SQLite_Exec(INSERT OR IGNORE INTO nodes ('name', 'fileexists') VALUES (" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName) & ", " & $iExists & ");) - create node entry" & @CRLF) $vResult = _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "INSERT OR IGNORE INTO nodes ('name', 'fileexists') VALUES (" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName) & ", " & $iExists & ");") If Not $vResult = $SQLITE_OK Then Sleep(100) $iErrLoop -= 1 If $iErrLoop = 0 Then $vResult = $SQLITE_OK ;Used up all our attempts, so simulate a success Until $vResult = $SQLITE_OK EndFunc ;==>__WriteNode Func __WriteLink($sName1, $sName2) Local $iErrLoop = 5 ;Number of attempts to make Local $vResult, $hQuery, $vCount ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - WriteNode()" & @CRLF & " _SQLite_Query(SELECT weight FROM links WHERE 'name1'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName1) & " AND 'name2'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName2) & ";) - lookup link entry" & @CRLF) _SQLite_Query($sSQLiteDB, "SELECT weight FROM links WHERE 'name1'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName1) & " AND 'name2'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName2) & ";", $hQuery) ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - _SQLite_FetchData()" & @CRLF) _SQLite_FetchData($hQuery, $vCount) If UBound($vCount) > 1 Then _ArrayDisplay($vCount) If $SQLITE_OK And UBound($vCount) > 1 Then $vCount = $vCount[1] + 1 Else $vCount = 1 EndIf Do If $vCount = 1 Then ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - _SQLite_Exec() - create link entry" & @CRLF) $vResult = _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "INSERT INTO links ('name1', 'name2', 'weight') VALUES (" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName1) & ", " & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName2) & ", " & $vCount & ");") Else ConsoleWrite("DEBUG - _SQLite_Exec() - update link entry" & @CRLF) $vResult = _SQLite_Exec($sSQLiteDB, "UPDATE links SET 'weight'=" & $vCount & " WHERE 'name1'=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName1) & " AND 'name2=" & _SQLite_FastEscape($sName2) & ";") EndIf If Not $vResult = $SQLITE_OK Then Sleep(100) $iErrLoop -= 1 If $iErrLoop = 0 Then $vResult = $SQLITE_OK ;Used up all our attempts, so simulate a success Until $vResult = $SQLITE_OK EndFunc ;==>__WriteLink ; #FUNCTION# ==================================================================================================================== ; Author ........: SEO <locodarwin at yahoo dot com> ; Modified.......: litlmike, water, GMK, willichan ; =============================================================================================================================== Func _Excel_BookOpen_NoUpdate($oExcel, $sFilePath, $bReadOnly = Default, $bVisible = Default, $sPassword = Default, $sWritePassword = Default) If Not IsObj($oExcel) Or ObjName($oExcel, 1) <> "_Application" Then Return SetError(1, @error, 0) If Not FileExists($sFilePath) Then Return SetError(2, 0, 0) If $bReadOnly = Default Then $bReadOnly = False If $bVisible = Default Then $bVisible = True ;; changing the second parameter on the following line to a 0 tells Excel not to update any links. Local $oWorkbook = $oExcel.Workbooks.Open($sFilePath, 0, $bReadOnly, Default, $sPassword, $sWritePassword) If @error Then Return SetError(3, @error, 0) $oExcel.Windows($oWorkbook.Name).Visible = $bVisible ; If a read-write workbook was opened read-only then return an error If $bReadOnly = False And $oWorkbook.Readonly = True Then Return SetError(4, 0, $oWorkbook) Return $oWorkbook EndFunc ;==>_Excel_BookOpen_NoUpdate Func _GenerateGraph() RunWait(@ScriptDir & '\GraphViz238\bin\dot.exe -Tpng "' & @ScriptDir & '\' & $MyName & '.gv" -o "' & @ScriptDir & '\ExcelLinksMapper.png"') EndFunc ;==>_GenerateGraph Func _WriteHeader() __OutLine(0, "digraph main {") EndFunc ;==>_WriteHeader Func _WriteNodes() Local $aResult, $iRows, $iColumns, $iRval Local $iLoop, $sStyle __OutLine(1, "// Nodes") $iRval = _SQLite_GetTable($sSQLiteDB, "SELECT name, fileexists FROM nodes;", $aResult, $iRows, $iColumns) If @error Then ConsoleWrite("_WriteNodes()" & @CRLF & "_SQLite_GetTable") If $iRval = $SQLITE_OK Then For $iLoop = 1 To $iRows If $aResult[($iLoop * 2) + 2] > 0 Then $sStyle = "normal" Else $sStyle = "missing" EndIf __OutNode($aResult[1 + (2 * $iLoop)], $sStyle) ;; Next Else MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "SQLite Error: " & $iRval, _SQLite_ErrMsg() & @CRLF & "in _WriteNotes() calling _SQLite_GetTable()") Exit EndIf EndFunc ;==>_WriteNodes Func __OutNode($sName, $sStyle = Default) If $sStyle = Default Then $sStyle = "Normal" Switch StringLower($sStyle) Case "missing" __OutLine(1, __MakeName($sName) & ' [label="' & StringReplace($sName, "\", "\\") & '",color=red,fontcolor=red,shape=octagon];') Case Else ;"normal", Default __OutLine(1, __MakeName($sName) & ' [label="' & StringReplace($sName, "\", "\\") & '",color=black,fontcolor=black,shape=box];') EndSwitch EndFunc ;==>__OutNode Func _WriteLinks() Local $aResult, $iRows, $iColumns, $iRval Local $iLoop, $sStyle, $aCount __OutLine(1, "// Links") $iRval = _SQLite_GetTable($sSQLiteDB, "SELECT name1, name2 FROM links ORDER BY name1 ASC, name2 ASC;", $aResult, $iRows, $iColumns) If $iRval = $SQLITE_OK Then For $iLoop = 1 To $iRows __OutLink($aResult[1 + (2 * $iLoop)], $aResult[2 + (2 * $iLoop)]) Next Else MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "SQLite Error: " & $iRval, _SQLite_ErrMsg()) Exit EndIf EndFunc ;==>_WriteLinks Func __OutLink($sName1, $sName2, $iWeight = 1) __OutLine(1, __MakeName($sName1) & ' -> ' & __MakeName($sName2) & ';') EndFunc ;==>__OutLink Func _WriteFooter() __OutLine(0, "}") EndFunc ;==>_WriteFooter Func __OutLine($iTabs, $sText) Local $iLoop If $iTabs > 0 Then For $iLoop = 1 To $iTabs FileWrite($hOutfile, " ") ;ConsoleWrite(" ") Next EndIf FileWriteLine($hOutfile, $sText) EndFunc ;==>__OutLine Func __MakeName($sText) Local $sNewName = StringReplace($sText, "\", " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, "/", " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, "'", " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, '"', " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, ':', " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, '.', " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, '-', " ") $sNewName = StringReplace($sNewName, '$', " ") $sNewName = StringStripWS($sNewName, 8) Return StringLower($sNewName) EndFunc ;==>__MakeName  
    • Dimmae
      By Dimmae
      Hello,
      at first: i'm new here, so please forgive me my mistakes, and show them to me, just that i can learn to do better in the future.
      Now to my Problem: i have an excel sheet, where i just need some columns for further actions, but i have no idea how to add single columns to a new array.
      I found the following code(the one i just added as a file) from 'water' in this forum, but i wont get how i could add multiple columns into a new array.
      The biggest problem in my situation is that i dont know the count of the rows i need for the array, i just got a fix number of rows, which is 4.

Hope you can help me, and sry again for this 'unlucky illustration'.

btw: how can i add code shown as code here, instead of posting it as a attached file?.

autoit-select-column.au3
      defects.xlsx
    • LoneWolf_2106
      By LoneWolf_2106
      Hi,
      i have an error:
      ==> The requested action with this object has failed.: $iRowCount = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells($oRangeLast.Row, $oRangeLast.Column)).Rows.Count $iRowCount = .Range(^ ERROR  
      My code is:
      $oRangeLast = .UsedRange.SpecialCells($xlCellTypeLastCell) Sleep(1000) $iRowCount = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells($oRangeLast.Row, $oRangeLast.Column)).Rows.Count Sleep(1000) _Excel_RangeWrite($oWorkbook_1, $oWorkbook_1.ActiveSheet,$aFileList[$i][2] , "AB3:AB"&$iRowCount) I have added some sleep because the application was crashing more often before, so i thought to slow down the code execution.
      But i didn't solve the issue.
      Has anyone an idea of what the problem might be?
      Thanks in advance.
    • water
      By water
      Extensive library to control and manipulate Microsoft Excel charts.
      Written by GreenCan and water.
      Theads: General Help & Support - Example Scripts
      BTW: If you like this UDF please click the "I like this" button. This tells me where to next put my development effort

KNOWN BUGS (last changed: 2017-07-21)
      None. The COM error handling related bugs have been fixed.