Sign in to follow this  
Quantumation

How do you make UDF's?

I'm new to scripting and Autoit, but i've already found some things that I would like to create. Where do you start when creating a UDF?

For instance, if I wanted to make a UDF for Excel(I know one exists) Where would I start? What would I need to start researching?

Any input would be appreciated

A cross-platform implementation of the AutoIt language

My contributions to the AutoIt Community ##AutoIt at freenode, real-time chat

3fHNZJ.gif

Spoiler

If I have hurt or offended you in anyway, Please accept my apologies, I never (regardless of the situation) intend to do that to anybody.

I depends:
Do you want to make an UDF just for yourself or should it be useful for the community as well?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2020-06-17 - Version 1.5.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2020-06-27 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (NEW 2020-06-27 - Version 1.3.2.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
PowerPoint (2017-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
Task Scheduler (2019-12-03 - Version 1.5.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki, WebDriver - Wiki

@water Useful for the community.

I'd definitely make it for myself but of course i'd share the hell out of it. Autoit has become my new addiction so i'm looking to get real deep into her business.

@TheDcoder Thank you, looks like i've got plenty of reading material.............Perfect.

I depends:
Do you want to make an UDF just for yourself or should it be useful for the community as well?

i doubt that's a beneficial segregation. if you train yourself to write a fully-qualified UDF, following all formal standards, then it will also be very much easier for yourself to use, develop and troubleshoot, even if you never share it. also it is much easier for the community to help you with your UDF when written by the standards.

@orbs ,

I think water's comment is the result of his curiosity. Because, he is the master mind behind current excel udf. So he want to know what is lacking in the current excel udf. 

Edited by kcvinu

My Contributions

UDF Link Viewer   --- A tool to visit the links of some most important UDFs 

Includer_2  ----- A tool to type the #include statement automatically 

Digits To Date  ----- date from 3 integer values

PrintList ----- prints arrays into console for testing.

Alert  ------ An alternative for MsgBox 

MousePosition ------- A simple tooltip display of mouse position

GRM Helper -------- A littile tool to help writing code with GUIRegisterMsg function

Access_UDF  -------- An UDF for working with access database files. (.*accdb only)

he is master mind behind current excel udf. So he want to know what is lacking the current excel udf

Is he a thief or something? :P

3fHNZJ.gif

Spoiler

If I have hurt or offended you in anyway, Please accept my apologies, I never (regardless of the situation) intend to do that to anybody.

@orbs , Yeah, that's true. 

@TheDcoder , What ?  Does that word means like that ?. Oh my poor English. I just meant that, that udf is water's brain child. 

My Contributions

UDF Link Viewer   --- A tool to visit the links of some most important UDFs 

Includer_2  ----- A tool to type the #include statement automatically 

Digits To Date  ----- date from 3 integer values

PrintList ----- prints arrays into console for testing.

Alert  ------ An alternative for MsgBox 

MousePosition ------- A simple tooltip display of mouse position

GRM Helper -------- A littile tool to help writing code with GUIRegisterMsg function

Access_UDF  -------- An UDF for working with access database files. (.*accdb only)

@kcvinu Was joking :)

3fHNZJ.gif

Spoiler

@Quantumation Remember that UDF-spec is not complete, some exceptions can be made :)

3fHNZJ.gif

Spoiler

@TheDcoder I'll play by the rules until I figure out how to break them.

Nice one :lol:

3fHNZJ.gif

Spoiler

i doubt that's a beneficial segregation. if you train yourself to write a fully-qualified UDF, following all formal standards, then it will also be very much easier for yourself to use, develop and troubleshoot, even if you never share it. also it is much easier for the community to help you with your UDF when written by the standards.

Not just curiosity.
If I would have to write an UDF just for myself I'm sure I would try to adhere to the standards when writing (naming of variables etc.). But I'm sure I wouldn't invest as much time into writing the help file and examples. As I have written the UDF I'm very familiar with the subject and do not need as much explanation and examples as a newbie.
That's why I asked.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2020-06-17 - Version 1.5.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2020-06-27 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki
Task Scheduler (2019-12-03 - Version 1.5.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Tutorials:

@orbs ,

I think water's comment is the result of his curiosity. Because, he is the master mind behind current excel udf. So he want to know what is lacking in the current excel udf.

No, my question was of general nature. Not related to my Excel/ExcelChart/Word/Outlook/PowerPoint UDF ;)
But I'm always open for suggestions on how to improve the "official" UDFs.

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:

@kcvinu Was joking :)

May I remind you that this isn't the Chat forum?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials: