FrancescoDiMuro

Can I use Excel UDF without having Excel installed?

14 posts in this topic

#1 ·  Posted (edited)

Good morning :)
I would like to know if I can use the Excel UDF to manipulating a .csv file without having Office installed on the PC I'm going to work...
I read somewhere that it could be done, but I'm here to ask and be sure of what I remember... 
I'd like to post another question...
How can I retrieve the handle of a windows from a PID of an .exe?
I have my script that does a ShellExecute ( which returns the PID of the .exe ), and then, switching a parameter read from a .ini file, adapt the Window on the screen ( Maximize, Minimize, On Top )...
I tried, but without having success with this:

#Region ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_Outfile_x64=prova.exe
#EndRegion ;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#include <ButtonConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <AutoItConstants.au3>
#include <WinAPIEx.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

Local $sFileConfigurazione = @ScriptDir & "\configurazione_exe.ini"

If(FileExists($sFileConfigurazione)) Then
    Local $aSezioniIni = IniReadSection($sFileConfigurazione, "CONFIGURAZIONE_EXE")
    If @error Then
        MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Errore!", "Errore durante l'apertura del file: " & @CRLF & $sFileConfigurazione & @CRLF & "Errore: " & @error)
    Else
        ; Lancio dell'applicativo indicato nel file di configurazione
        Local $iPID = ShellExecute($aSezioniIni[1][1])
        Local $hWnd
        If($iPID <> 0) Then
            Local $aWinList = WinList()
            For $i = 1 To $aWinList[0][0]
                If(WinGetProcess($aWinList[$i][1] = $iPID)) Then
                    $hWnd = $aWinList[$i][1]
                EndIf
            Next
            Switch($aSezioniIni[2][1])
                Case $aSezioniIni[2][1] = "MIN"
                    WinSetState($hWnd, "", @SW_MINIMIZE)
                Case $aSezioniIni[2][1] = "MAX"
                    WinSetState($hWnd, "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)
                Case $aSezioniIni[2][1] = "TOP"
                    WinSetOnTop($hWnd, "", $WINDOWS_ONTOP)
            EndSwitch
        EndIf
    EndIf
EndIf

It just set on top the .exe I'm launching...

Edited by FrancescoDiMuro

Click here to see my signature:

Spoiler

I will always thank you for the time you spent for me.
I'm here to ask, and from your response, I'd like to learn.
By my knowledge, I can help someone else, and "that someone" could help in turn another, and so on.

#2 ·  Posted

To use the Excel, Word or OutlookEX UDF Microsoft Office needs to be installed because they use the Office COM to access the application.
But there are UDFs available to read Excel workbooks by accessing them using ADO.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#3 ·  Posted

Hey @water!
Always pleased to answer me! :)
I've never heard anything about ADO...
Can you please talk me something about? Maybe with some practice example? :)
Thank you so much :) 

Spoiler

By my knowledge, I can help someone else, and "that someone" could help in turn another, and so on.

#4 ·  Posted

Check the wiki for a general ADO overview or the examples section for Excel.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#5 ·  Posted

Thank you @water:)
And about the script I've posted? Can you say me something about? :)

Spoiler

#6 ·  Posted

Haven't yet found the time to have a look. 

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#7 ·  Posted

Can you help me a bit with ADO, @water?
I just need to retrieve rows from the .csv when a column has a/some certain value/s...

In SQL, I would do something like this:
"SELECT Column1, Column2, Column_n FROM File WHERE Column2 BETWEEN Value1 And Value 2 ORDER BY Column2 ASC;"

I don't know how to apply this in the ADO Query... Thanks :) 

Spoiler

#8 ·  Posted (edited)

Haven't used ADO with Excel myself but I think you are close to the solution:

Global $sADOSQL = "SELECT Column1, Column2, Column_n FROM [Sheet1$] WHERE Column2 BETWEEN Value1 And Value2 ORDER BY Column2 ASC;"

Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#9 ·  Posted (edited)

Thanks @water:)
Does anyone used ADO with Excel who is reading this topic?
If yes ( surely no one will reply ), can I have some help, please? Thanks :) 

Spoiler

#10 ·  Posted

If you search the forum for ADO and Excel you will get some hits.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#11 ·  Posted (edited)

@water
I was trying to create a PDF, and I'd like to add either a header and some other fields in it...
I was trying to create the PDF with this UDF: 

... But, when I run the example of TXT2PDF, it returns me the error that it didn't find the function _lif...
Do you know another way to create a PDF from a TXT or a CSV? 
Remember that I don't have Office, so, I'm doing the data managing via .txt...
Thanks for your help :) 

EDIT: found the solution! If you worked before with this UDF, I'm here listening to you :) Thanks! 

Spoiler

#12 ·  Posted

No, I haven't used this UDF before :(

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

#13 ·  Posted

@water
So, for me, now it's time to understand how does it work :D
Have a good day :) 

Spoiler

#14 ·  Posted

Have a nice day as well!

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki