Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D1Spartan

objcreate with Firefox (and other applications)

6 posts in this topic

I'm trying to make a script to allow direct object access to Firefox without using the FF.au3 UDF.

Why?: The webpage that I'm loading is only stable in FF. Internet Explorer will not run the Javascript properly or at all. I also don't want to rely on the Mozrepl addon.

What I'm looking for is something similar to how the standard Autoit _IE functions work.

$oIE = objcreate ("InternetExplorer.Application")
$oIE.visible = "True"

will create the IE window and show it. Is there a way to look up an application's object name (something like objcreate ("Firefox.Application"))?

I've done a lot of research trying to figure this out, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or it's just not possible.

...or it's just not possible.

Bingo!

Firefox (and Safari, and Chrome, etc.) does not expose a COM API the way IE does. Period. End of story.

:(

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

Boo...thanks for the info, now I can stop chasing my tail.

Well, while I still have a little exposure I want to run this by you. What lead me to try this method was a webpage I use at work that has multiple embedded frames. I'm trying to access individual elements in a particular frame, but the only command that doesn't cause and error is .length. For example, the frame tree is:

Wrapper

Solution

Home

List

where each of them are frames within frames. What I've been able to do with IE is access the individual frame length (which is 0) by using $oIE.document.parentwindow.Wrapper.Solution.Home.List.length, but if I do something like $oIE.document.parentwindow.Wrapper.Solution.Home.List.name it errors out with the message "The requested action with this object has failed." $oIE is the object variable for the "InternetExplorer.Application". The "document.parentWindow" portion of the object is the only way I can access the embedded frames.

Any ideas?

Add _IEErrorHandlerRegister() to your script and run it from SciTE so you can see the output to the console. If the frames go to different sites, then you will probably see some "Access Denied" messages, indicating cross-site scripting protection is kicking in.

:(

Valuater's AutoIt 1-2-3, Class... Is now in Session!For those who want somebody to write the script for them: RentACoder"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." -- Geek's corollary to Clarke's law

#6 ·  Posted (edited)

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks again for your help.

EDIT: I tried the error handler and it worked like a champion. It didn't show me what I wanted it to: "access denied". I'll have to talk to the guy running the page and see if there is a workaround for it.

Edited by D1Spartan