Statics instead of Globals.

MvGulik

Well I for one just see it as a fun little exercise. It's good to think outside of the language's as well as your own limitations once in a while.

Thanks all.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

#include <Array.au3>

Struct()

MsgBox(0, "Name", Struct("name"))
MsgBox(0, "Age", Struct("age"))
MsgBox(0, "Height", Struct("height"))
MsgBox(0, "Weight", Struct("weight"))

PassMeTheStruct(Struct())

Func Struct($key = "")
    Static $created = 0
    Static $oDictionary = ObjCreate("Scripting.Dictionary")
    If Not $created Then
        $oDictionary.ADD("name", "Harry")
        $oDictionary.ADD("age", 63)
        $oDictionary.ADD("height", 5.11)
        $oDictionary.ADD("weight", 150)
        $created = 1
    EndIf

If $key Then
        Return $oDictionary.Item($key)
    EndIf
    Return $oDictionary
EndFunc   ;==>Struct

Func PassMeTheStruct($obj)
    $items = $obj.Items
    _ArrayDisplay($items)
EndFunc

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

...this isn't doing anything other than creating a new name for a Global variable with almost none of the benefits of globals, and more work being done just to make the script harder to follow.

The technique will most likely to circumvent a number of the disadantages of using globals in Code Complete. For the most part globals are not needed. Using Static is just one possible work around, but testing is needed for comparison. There will likely be both advantages and disadvantages to uising static this way. Some of the advantages should be apparent, such as no re-entrant code problems, as listed by jaberwocky6669 in the above link.

Edited by czardas

Some of the advantages should be apparent, such as no re-entrant code problems, as listed by jaberwocky6669 in the above link.

AutoIt is single threaded, that's not an issue here. In fact most of what he listed probably doesn't directly apply very much to AutoIt, which is what this discussion is dealing with, as well as the other thread where it was posted. If you were to talk about another language, then it would come into play.

Using OnEvent mode in a GUI script, it's very difficult to deal with a script with no Globals, because there's no parameter passing when the functions are called, you'd have to make work arounds for every single control on your GUI, and if it's detailed that could be a lot.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

The concept needs testing. I think it will be a bit slower than using globals. I could be wrong though.

When really needed, you could always switch to a faster local variable copy to speed crucial code parts up. Using smart byref, when possible, could help to.

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

Mmm. Unless I'm doing something wrong here, there seems to be no workaround to do a Static array resize in v3.3.8.1.

Both cases do work when it comes to the array resizing part, but also trigger a critical error on the next function use after the resize of the Static

array. "==> Array maximum size exceeded."

Static_Array_Redim_3381()
Static_Array_Redim_3381(4)
Static_Array_Redim_3381() ;; *1 ==> Array maximum size exceeded.

Func Static_Array_Redim_3381($iSize = 0)
    Local Static $aArray[1] ;; *1 ==> Array maximum size exceeded.
    If $iSize > 0 And $iSize <> UBound($aArray, 1) Then
        Switch 1
            Case 1
                ByRef_Array_Redim($aArray, $iSize)
            Case 2
                Local $aArray_Copy = $aArray
                ReDim $aArray_Copy[$iSize]
                $aArray = $aArray_Copy
        EndSwitch
    EndIf
    ConsoleWrite('UBound($aArray,1) = ' & UBound($aArray, 1) & @CRLF)
EndFunc

Func ByRef_Array_Redim(ByRef $aArray, $iSize)
    ReDim $aArray[$iSize]
EndFunc

"Straight_and_Crooked_Thinking" : A "classic guide to ferreting out untruths, half-truths, and other distortions of facts in political and social discussions."
"The Secrets of Quantum Physics" : New and excellent 2 part documentary on Quantum Physics by Jim Al-Khalili. (Dec 2014)

"Believing what you know ain't so" ...

Knock Knock ...

I went away and tried wraithdu's claim but couldn't get it to work either.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

AutoIt is single threaded, that's not an issue here.

Two instances of the same program can interfere with each other.

When really needed, you could always switch to a faster local variable copy to speed crucial code parts up. Using smart byref, when possible, could help to.

I never used Static before.

Did I understand the general idea right, that this example could be applied across scripts using something like

#include <datastore.au3>  ;; not yet existing UDF with proper procedures

getvar()   ;; initialize data storage

msgbox(0,"Test", getvar("myvar"))  ;; return content
getvar("myvar", "New content")    ;; store content

The getvar() could f.ex use an external SQLite DB file, so that variables could be used across scripts etc.

Or did I understand this concept completely wrong ?

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.

I suppose so.

UDF List:

Maybe it was a 'bug' that was fixed but not documented?

UDF List:

I changed several aspects of Static implementation, almost rewrote it completely. Developer that initially implemented that feature got lost in logical labyrinth of the keyword.

I don't have credibility any more to talk about internal workings of AutoIt, but still if you have some script code questions I'll be glad to answer them. I don't think anybody except me can give you answers to some questions, no matter how sad that fact is. :x

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

AutoIt is single threaded, that's not an issue here.

You are mixing thread-safe code and reentrant code. Some code can be reentrant but not thread-safe. Any other combination can occur too.

@JohnOne, that's not one of those questions :P

Edited by trancexx

♡♡♡

eMyvnE