kcvinu

How to use a function from another .au3 file

kcvinu

Hi there,

Please forgive me if this is a silly question. I have a script named AutomatingWindowsExplorer.au3. It has so many functions. I need to use one function among them. How can i use it in my own script ?. Do i need to paste the script file inside include folder ?. Does this function acts like a built in function of AutoIt ?. I mean does it show a tooltip contains explanations about parameters. ?

My Contributions

UDF Link Viewer   --- A tool to visit the links of some most important UDFs 

Includer_2  ----- A tool to type the #include statement automatically 

Digits To Date  ----- date from 3 integer values

PrintList ----- prints arrays into console for testing.

Alert  ------ An alternative for MsgBox 

MousePosition ------- A simple tooltip display of mouse position

GRM Helper -------- A littile tool to help writing code with GUIRegisterMsg function

Access_UDF  -------- An UDF for working with access database files. (.*accdb only)

water

You can either copy and paste the function from AutomatingWindowsExplorer.au3 to your new script.

Or you can create a new au3 file (example: SharedFunctions.au3) and include this file in both of your scripts using a #include statement.

Does this function acts like a built in function of AutoIt ?. I mean does it show a tooltip contains explanations about parameters. ?

That's a function of the SciTE editor. IIRC there is a wiki entry how to incorporate your own UDF into scite with highlighting and syntax tooltips.

• Like 1

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki
PowerPoint (2015-06-06 - Version 0.0.5.0) - Download - General Help & Support

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Melba23

kcvinu.

water is referring to the Adding UDFs to AutoIt and SciTE tutorial in the Wiki. :)

M23

• Like 1

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2017-04-18 - Version 1.4.8.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX (NEW 2017-02-27 - Version 1.3.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2015-04-01 - Version 0.4.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

JohnOne

MyIncludes.au3 file might look like this

Func _MyAddFunc($n1, $n2)
    Return $n1 + $n2
EndFunc

MyScript.au3 file might look like this

#include "MyIncludes.au3"

$value = _MyAddFunc(12, 43)

MsgBox(0, "Result", $value)
  • Like 2

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

TheSaint

@JohnOne - An excellent example and right to the point.

I don't recall ever having made my own Include file, though I've always known how, and included plenty by other people.

I probably should have a standard Include of my own, as many of my programs use a lot of the same functions, and so it would save me plenty of copy and paste. It's on the todo list ... you know ... the one that keeps falling down the back of the sofa.

• Like 1

AutoIt.4.Life Clubrooms - Life is like a Donut (secret key)

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

kcvinu

Hi Thank you all.

Hi 

JohnOne, I am assuming that your "MyIncludes.au3" will be in C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Include\s. Am i right ?

My Contributions

GRM Helper -------- A littile tool to help writing code with GUIRegisterMsg function

Access_UDF  -------- An UDF for working with access database files. (.*accdb only)

water

Not necessarily. You can define a user directory where AutoIt searches for the include files as well.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki

Melba23

kcvinu,

I am assuming that your "MyIncludes.au3" will be in C:\Program Files\AutoIt3\Include\s. Am i right ?

Wrong - read the tutorial to which water and I linked above. :)

M23

• Like 1

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind._______My UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

TheSaint

Also, have a look at the Keyword Reference section of the Help file, under #Include etc.

Edited by TheSaint
  • Like 1

AutoIt.4.Life Clubrooms - Life is like a Donut (secret key)

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

kcvinu

Success...!! this is my include file

Func Alert($msg)
    Local $title = StringSplit(@ScriptName,".")
    MsgBox(0,$title[1],$msg)
EndFunc

And this is my script file...

#include <Alert.au3>
Alert("Hello World!")

It works.. Thank you all...

• Like 1

My Contributions

SadBunny

@JohnOne - An excellent example and right to the point.

I don't recall ever having made my own Include file, though I've always known how, and included plenty by other people.

I probably should have a standard Include of my own, as many of my programs use a lot of the same functions, and so it would save me plenty of copy and paste. It's on the todo list ... you know ... the one that keeps falling down the back of the sofa.

Saving on copypaste is one of the weakest reasons to keep your frequently used functionality centralized in libraries :) Better reasons are standardization and the fact that if a bug in one of those turns up you only have to fix it in one place.

Edited by SadBunny

Roses are FF0000, violets are 0000FF... All my base are belong to you.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• kcvinu
      By kcvinu
      Hi all,
      I am playing with _GUICtrlButton_Create function. How can i change this button's (or the entire form's) font ?. The in-built GUICtrlSetFont function is not working even when i convert the control handle to control ID with _WinAPI_GetDlgCtrlID ( ) function.  Do i need to use CreateFont api finction and send WM_SETFONT message ? Or is there any other easy and safe ways to do this ?. Thanks in advance.
      Note : This window is created by CreateWindowEx function, not by GUICreate function. 
    • Amixg
      By Amixg
      Hi! I have another problem with AutoIT.  You see, I'm still the one who's just starting out with this great programming language. I have a problem with AutoIT, it seems not to recognize the "StringReplace" function even when it is by default. The code was made half in KODA and half of my own. It is a software programmed for the Italian language (I am Italian) and translate the SMS language into Italian correct. Would you help me? Thanks in advance.

#include <ButtonConstants.au3> #include <EditConstants.au3> #include <GUIConstantsEx.au3> #include <StaticConstants.au3> #include <WindowsConstants.au3> $hull = "hello" StringReplace($hull, "hello", "hellx") $Form1 = GUICreate("Linguaggio SMS A Italiano", 507, 498, 192, 124) $Edit1 = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 24, 40, 465, 177) GUICtrlSetData(-1, "") $Label1 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Inserisci qui il testo che non riesci a capire:", 24, 8, 205, 17) $Label2 = GUICtrlCreateLabel("Ecco il testo tradotto(non toccare questo campo):", 27, 237, 237, 17) $Edit2 = GUICtrlCreateEdit("", 24, 264, 465, 137) GUICtrlSetData(-1, "") $Button1 = GUICtrlCreateButton("Traduci", 104, 424, 249, 49) GUISetState(@SW_SHOW) While 1 $nMsg = GUIGetMsg() Switch $nMsg Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE Exit Case $Button1 StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "qlc", "qualcuno") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "qls", "qualcosa") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "ke", "che") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "x", "per") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "pls", "per favore") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "tu6", "tu sei") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "zzz", "mi fai dormire") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "hagn", "Buonanotte") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "tvtb", "Ti voglio tanto bene") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "tat", "Ti amo tanto") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "lafs", "Amore a prima vista") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "fli?", "Flirtiamo?") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "msidt", "Mi sono innamorato di te") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "ba", "Bacio") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "midi", "Mi dispiace.") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "ntm", "Non ti merito") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "tdp", "Togliti dai piedi.") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "amò", "Amore") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "ap", "A presto!") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "cmq", "comunque") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "cvd", "Ci vediamo dopo") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "Tvb", "Ti voglio bene") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "nn", "non") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "risp", "rispondimi") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "cel", "cellulare") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "dom", "qualcosa") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "nm", "numero") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "fv", "favore") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "-male", "meno male") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "disc", "discoteca") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "se#", "settimana") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "+ o -", "più o meno") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "ts", "torno subito") StringReplace(GUICtrlGetData($Label1), "tvtbcoa", "Ti voglio tanto bene come amica") EndSwitch WEnd  
    • okolaris
      By okolaris
      Hey everyone,
      I thought I might share my little Language UDF plus the more powerful SciTE Tool to ship Strings from SciTE into the xml file. While I haven't had the time to fully adapt the small UDF to one of the big XML-UDFs the so called "Language Transmitter" that basically writes the XML file for you runs mostly on "XML DOM wrapper (COM)" by eltorro. The Transmitter should work with other XML-Language-UDFs depending on their encoding.

First let's start with the UDF, there are two functions of interest: _LangInit($sFilePath) and s($sString) As you will have guessed, _LangInit($sFilePath) is called once to initialize the UDF and s($sString) is used to receive the string to your key. Plain and simple.
      Now to the actual "new" part, the Language Transmitter. It basically allows you to transfer a selected String from SciTE into a xml file. While doing so it will scan for AutoIt variables, macros etc. and parse the string to fit StringFormat(). It then saves the formatted string in the xml file and returns the formatted call into SciTE. If the selected string is already defined it will directly parse the key into SciTE. To change the default output file, you can either edit the ini-file in the @ScriptDir of the LanguageTransmitter.exe or press Alt+A on empty space again and keep clicking cancel/no until the Transmitter let's you select the current output file. Standard output is strings.xml in the current opened AutoIt Script.
      Example:
      ; given the line: MsgBox(16, 'Error', 'Error message') ; select 'Error' run the Transmitter follow the instructions, repeat with 'Error message'. Outcome (e.g.): MsgBox(16, s('Error'), s('Error_msg')) ; Variables and Macro example: $sString = "Value: " & $iValue & @CRLF & 'Another value: '& $iValue2 ; Select the full string including all AutoIt variables and macros etc. in SciTE and press Alt+A (default) to run the LanguageTransmitter ; follow the instructions and it will then paste a formatted string like that into SciTE: $sVar = StringFormat(s('Key'), $iValue, $iValue2) ; the correlating xml entry should look like that: ; <string name="Key">Value: %s\r\nAnother value: %s</string> ; as you can see @CRLF has been replaced with \r\n as well. If you are working on a project and want to directly add a string to the xml file just start the Language Transmitter without selecting any text, enter your string and a key.
      SetUp/Installation
      Examples
      Since xml files are required all examples can be found in the zip file. There are two examples, one includes a language selection interface.
      Language File Checker
      I added a script to check whether the xml file contains all required strings or even unnecessary strings.

Hope you like my little helper!

UDF - LanguageSupport.zip
    • Karnalsyn
      By Karnalsyn
      As with a lot of programming, the less manual repetition done to achieve the same outcome...the better.
      I package programs for network deployment at the organization I work for. Sometimes these applications require verbose messaging to the user, and sometimes by special request we have to turn that off and deploy silently.
      The way I currently handle these 2 scenarios is this.
      I have a function that builds the splashwin display screen to variable size depending on message length, and displays the desired message to the end user.
      Then at each point throughout my script as I need to make the user aware of what is currently happening, I inject a splashwin function call with the unique message pertaining to that specific event. ie. "Installing Microsoft Office, please wait..."
      In effort to build a more universal script to handle any type of request submitted. I've incorporated a switch command of '/silent'
      If cmdlineraw detects the usage of that switch when the script is triggered it sets a variable flag, ie. $silent = "on"
      Then at every splashwin call I make, I'm prefixing it with an IF statement that checks for the flag, and then does NOT display the message if that flag is "on". Or does display it if its not. Has worked for me just fine. But while I grow my programming skills and look for more streamlined ways of handling areas I find myself creating repetition. I'm curious if I can relocate that flag check. Taking it out of every single splashwin call, and injecting it into the function itself.
      Example of how I currently display or hide the splashwin based on command line...
      If StringInStr($cmdlineraw, "/silent", 0) Then
          $SilentSwitch = "ON"
      EndIf
      If $SilentSwitch = "OFF" Then SplashWin($Uninstalling & $ProductInfo[1][0])
      Some scripts have dozens of those splashwin calls littered throughout, so Is this the best approach I can take already? Or as stated earlier, can I pull the IF statement away from the splashwin call. And left the function as a whole either activate or deactivate as a result of the command line check.
    • wakillon
      By wakillon
      SciTE Hopper : Jump to Any line by one click and many other helpfull functions !

As Ashalshaikh suggested me after leaving me the task to continue >SciTE Hopper, i open a new Topic about it.
      It will be more easy for futures updates.

Many helpfull functions in contextual menu.
      SciTE Hopper is now multipurpose.
      • Color Catcher added
      • BinaryToAu3Kompressor added
      • TinyAu3Search replaced by StringFinder
      • RegJumper added
      • Edit With SciTE added (available in Options)
      • SpecialCharactersViewer added (available in Tray menu)
      New Contextual Menu :

For a right Click on a function :

• Copy function name
      • Insert a function header
      • Cut function
      • Copy function
      • Delete function
      • Create a variables List
      • Remove usseless Blank lines
      • Remove Debug lines ( all lines starting with ConsoleWrite or _ArrayDisplay )
      • Set AutoIt Code Layout
      • Remove Comments

For entire script :

• Create a functions List
      • Create a variables List
      • Remove usseless Blank lines
      • Remove Debug lines ( all lines starting with ConsoleWrite or _ArrayDisplay )
      • Set AutoIt Code Layout
      • Remove Comments
      • ( Open in SciTE a ) Duplicate of current Script in Temp Dir
      • ( Open in SciTE a ) Duplicate of current Script in Same Dir
      • Explore Parent Script Folder
      • Copy Script name
      • Copy Script path
      • Find Unused Functions
      • Find Unused Variables
      • Set all functions in alphabetic order.( func headers and regions ( in fact, all lines between functions ) are not supported.)

SciTE Editor New Contextual Menu if SciTE Hopper is added ( in Options ) to SciTE Editor :
      when you made a selection in SciTE Editor you can :

• Open a Reg Key in Regedit using RegJumper
      • Open a Url in your default Browser
      • Search on google in your default Browser
      • Search on AutoIt Website in your default Browser
      Now Can be added to windows start (minimized)
      Options are available by Tray Menu.
      A double click on tray icon will open clipboard content to SciTE Editor ( Handy when you have copied some code from your browser )

How to proceed for add SciTE Hopper to SciTE Editor :
      Run Scite Editor, run Scite Hopper ( compiled! ) go to Options and select Add/Remove to SciTE Tab. then click on Add button and it's done !
      Right click on SciTE Editor and choose SciTE Hopper in Contextual Menu for run it when you need it !
      Update of 07 Dec 2017
      TinyAu3Search is replaced by StringFinder

Previous downloads : 1287
      Script and compiled version are available in the download section

Thanks to Ashalshaikh, Melba23, Th3 MMA, Alzri2, taitel, Manadar, taz742, Yashield, Authenticity, Xenobiologist for their help
      and asdf8 for his >Includes Helper and azjio for his >FileSearch.

Hope it help you and happy Scripting !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.